House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Compulsory Id Cards To Be Scrapped As Government Performs Humiliating U-turn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...ing-U-turn.html

British citizens will never be forced to carry ID cards, the Government announced today.

In a humiliating U-turn, Home Secretary Alan Johnson said that a trial scheme that was to force some airport staff to carry the controversial cards has been scrapped.

The massive climbdown means that carrying an ID card will now never be made compulsory for members of the general public.

It signals the end of one of Labour's most controversial policies, which has been championed by a succession of Home Secretaries, and threatens to further undermine the authority of the Prime Minister.

Insisting that ID cards should be voluntary, Mr Johnson said: 'Holding an identity card should be a personal choice for British citizens - just as it is now to obtain a passport.'

Previously, ministers said ID cards could become compulsory once 80 per cent of the population was covered.

The cards were being trialled at Manchester Airport and London City Airport prior to a national roll-out but that trial has now been cancelled, Mr Johnson said.

The announcement means that foreign nationals in the UK will be the only group of people who will be forced to carry the cards.

Last month it was revealed that the bill for issuing ID cards and passports over the next ten years is now £4.945billion for UK citizens and £379million for foreign nationals.

But the rollout of the ID card scheme will now be accelerated on a purely voluntary basis for UK citizens, starting in Greater Manchester by the end of the year.

Mr Johnson said: 'I want the introduction of identity cards for all British citizens to be voluntary and I have therefore decided that identity cards issued to airside workers, planned initially at Manchester and London City airports later this year, should also be voluntary.'

Asked if the cards would ever be made compulsory he said: 'No'.

'If a future Government wanted to make them compulsory it would require primary legislation,' he added.

Mr Johnson said he still believed the cards would help improve security at airports.

But he admitted the Government had allowed the perception that the cards would be a 'panacea' that would stop terrorism.

Listing the benefits of the scheme at a press conference in central London, he did not at first mention tackling terrorism.

Instead he said the cards would help stop illegal working, people trafficking and ID fraud.

Mr Johnson said he was an 'instinctive' supporter of ID cards and said he wanted to 'accelerate' the delivery of the cards.

As I said early in the day, this govt is in complete panic. It's running around like a headless chicken trying to prove it's doing something rather than nothing.

The govt is trying to save money without appearing to be.

Yes it'll be voluntary - as long as you don't want to choose healthcare, a bank account, to drive, to pay your council tax etc etc

Damn, when I first saw this thread I thought it was talking about our wretched government seeing sense for a change - and choosing the scrap the ill-fated ID card scheme.

If it comes to the worst, and our nail-biting jaw-dropping buffoon of a prime minister manages to win next year's election, and the ID card scheme gets bulldozed through, then they will make it very difficult to avoid having a laminated tag. Want a job - you need your ID card. Want to open a bank account - you need your ID card. Want a mortgage - ID card, please. Want to take a dump - we need to take your biometric information first, matey.

I despise the current Tories (David Cameron's a uber-Nu Labour fraudster who will go on to make Tony Blair look to have integrity), but at least they'll scrap the ID card travesty.

The public don't think it'll work. The police and security services openly admit it will do little to combat terrorism, which it the touted reason for introducing ID cards.

Why are Gordon Brown and his succession of failed home secretaries so stupid?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Does this mean I'll have to be part of the obligatory voluntary ID card scheme instead?

Does this mean I'll have to be part of the obligatory voluntary ID card scheme instead?

Yes, yes it does.

Keep your details up to date mind, there is a £1000 fine if you don't!

But it's all completely voluntary.

Call me cynical, but....

Maybe New Labour have been keeping ID cards on the agenda just so they could scrap them at their darkest hour and garner some cheap popularity points. :huh:

To which I must add: you think this is your darkest hour? You ain't seen nothing yet! :P

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Yes, yes it does.

Keep your details up to date mind, there is a £1000 fine if you don't!

But it's all completely voluntary.

I'm hoping there'll be a nice tag in the ear option, or maybe I'll go for the branding version.

Whichever best approximates a cow abused by its farmers.

I'm hoping there'll be a nice tag in the ear option, or maybe I'll go for the branding version.

"When cows are kept in tiny stalls, they bang their heads against the walls."

Best said out loud in the style of Jame Gumb.

The options will be a mark on the hand or the forehand. I think the hand would be less unslightly, unless it's a swastika in which case I'll take forehead. :lol:

God, what a fecking mess.

You have to have them if you're a pilot at Manchester Airport, except you don't, unless you're a foreigner, and then it's compulsory, but soon it will be compulsory for everyone, except it won't be.

You couldn't make it up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...ing-U-turn.html

As I said early in the day, this govt is in complete panic. It's running around like a headless chicken trying to prove it's doing something rather than nothing.

The govt is trying to save money without appearing to be.

I'd say the opposite .. the govt is trying to appear to save money without achieving anything... surely 90% of the costs of this hairbrained scheme are in its design testing/set-up and manning..... if they are now going to have a voluntary scheme then thats going to cost not much less in total than a compulsory one... so appearacne of saving (attempting to be huge), actual saving delivered (very small)

Call me cynical, but....

Maybe New Labour have been keeping ID cards on the agenda just so they could scrap them at their darkest hour and garner some cheap popularity points. :huh:

To which I must add: you think this is your darkest hour? You ain't seen nothing yet! :P

I had an inkling that this would be one of Johnson's first acts. When the take up for the young persons version is low (and it will be VERY low; how cool does it look having an ID card? Answer - not cool at all) they will be dropped altogether.

Don't be fooled. The physical 'ID card' was always a smokescreen.

Is the Identity Card Act 2006 going to be repealed?

Is the National Identity Register database going to be destroyed?

Are people no longer to be fingerprinted like common criminals in order to get a passport?

Great news.

I'd been campaigning hard on this one, writing letters to my MP and supporting No2ID.

Labour have been sneaking in Draconian policies bit by bit, death by a thousand cuts. I don't think the public really have a handle on how serious the threat to civil liberties ID cards were going to be. "Papers please!"

Now if only they'd stop fingerprinting smokers everytime they want to nip out for a cig in London clubs and pubs then we'll be really getting somewhere.

The ID card is a red-herring, we all have plenty of identification cards and they are fairly harmless. The database was and still is the threat. Your passport and driving license will play the same role as the ID card, later your fingerprint, iris or face. Besides, as pointed out above if banks start to demand the ID card to open an account, or the DVLA insist on a card to update your driving license it is essentially compulsory anyway.

I've not read any confirmation that the national identity/passport/big brother database is going to be scrapped.

"will never be forced "

Providing you never want to leave, enter the country, or get health care, take out a library book, register for benefits, take your children to school,

drive a car, work in a job, buy shares, take out a mortgage.

Have they scraped the national identity database? No, as far as I can see. So apparently I've still got until 2017 to leave, which is when my passport (renewed in 2006 so I didn't get a chipped one) runs out.

The ID card itself was always a smokescreen. The database is the real enemy. And I will never sign up to that.

On the same day they announced this, the Home Office Select Committee heard that the government's plans for enforcing E-passport readings might breach European law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/tip/

Listen from 14 mins in (30/6/09).

Sod that shit. When E-passport reading become mandatory, I plan to leave Britain from a beach on a Jetski, waving V signs as I go. It's my country and I'll leave when I want to.

Call me cynical, but....

I suspect your right, at least in some 'the focus groups looks bad, let's panic' way..................bit like starting a fight and then try and get a gold star for stopping it after you've p***ed a few more millions of taxpayers money up the wall...........

Coupled with the fact that like most of the rest of their 'investments' they probably couldn't get it to work right either........... :angry:

For some reason this government cant seem to implement anything in "IT"

it allways ends up taking years longer and billions more

I reckon my grand kids would be dead before these useless kunts got an id card sorted out.

But the main thing is America has ID cards yet they suffered the work terrorist act ever, thus proving they dont stop terrorists.

But the main thing is America has ID cards yet they suffered the work terrorist act ever, thus proving they dont stop terrorists.

And all of the Madrid train bombers had valid ID cards too.

Charles Clarke accepted that whilst he was Home Secretary but still tried to sell them as a useful tool in the fight against terrorism. Prat.

Edited for speling.