House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnny Storm

Is It Me, Or Have Women Become Really Bad At Tennis?

I admit, I havent really watched Wimbo for quite a few years. But I remember enjoying watching Steffi, Martina, Arancha, and to be honest I think they would all pee on the current ones from a great height.

How many serves into the net, double faults etc, a long rally seems to be 5 hits. And these are the final 8?? What on earth happened. I cant believe how boring and crap they are..... :(

They were talking about this on fivelive yesterday - said that womens' tennis is all about having model looks and looking sexy now.

Is this why a large number have to grunt like they are having sex for each serve and a lot of returns?

Is this why a large number have to grunt like they are having sex for each serve and a lot of returns?

Beat to it! Long boring rallies and all that grunting. Sh*te, won't watch it. They need to keep quiet and get into the net, I'll be too old to see by the time that happens.

why not just put them in the men's draw if they want equal money - playing 5 set matches. No wait, because they'll lose and there'll be none beyond the first round.

I have no problem with paying them more money - after all, the sponsors are willing to stump it, but I just wish they'd stop pretending they are anywhere near as good as the men. I doubt the women, even the Williams, would make the mens top 200.

I suppose having a significant number of pretty girls would be good for the older and ex players, except these new girls all seem to be straight.....

I think the grunting's too allow blind perverts sat at home in front of the telly with their trousers round their ankles get off too...

why not just put them in the men's draw if they want equal money - playing 5 set matches. No wait, because they'll lose and there'll be none beyond the first round.

You'd think it would be considered sexist for them to play fewer sets. The childrens matches are only 3 sets too. Are womens marathons shorter?

I remember my dad telling me (so it might be a load or rubbish) that the best woman player couldnt beat the worst man.

Guest theboltonfury

The trouble with women's tennis these days is there aren't as many men playing in it anymore.

Play it on the Wii instead. I work up just as much of a sweat as if i was playing for real. Just need to get the g/f to wear a short skirt and grunt whilst she's playing it.

There's a joke about smashing my balls into her court, but I shalln't make it.

It suffers from the same problem as all women's sports; lack of a base of competitors and a lack of commitment in training. This is true of everything that can be measured and is pretty well known in the sport science literature. For example, the spread in times is much wider in athletics than it should be in elite sport and competitors are (relative to men) very inconsistent. I think you are seeing this in tennis at the moment, its reached the point where nobody knows who is any good anymore and the level of unforced error is ridiculous.

Its easier to demonstrate this in objectively measured sports of course, like running. It isn't so much about the winners, its the gap between first and second and then the gap to third etc. Half the field aren't competitive but if they are the best, they are the best and they get to compete. I don't blame the Williams sisters for slacking off a bit and doing other things away from tennis, nobody else is training particularly hard either.

The issue is at grass roots, maybe even in schools.

I don't think it is sexist to point this out. What is sexist is patting the ladies on the head and congratulating them for turning up even if they didn't do so well.

"in 1992, [Richard] Krajicek made a controversial comment regarding equal pay for women in Grand Slam events, saying, "Eighty percent of the top 100 women are fat pigs who don't deserve equal pay." Later, he jokingly clarified his comments, remarking, "What I meant to say was that only 75 percent are fat pigs.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Krajicek

Well they might still be useless, but at least most of them are hot nowadays!

Guest theboltonfury
"in 1992, [Richard] Krajicek made a controversial comment regarding equal pay for women in Grand Slam events, saying, "Eighty percent of the top 100 women are fat pigs who don't deserve equal pay." Later, he jokingly clarified his comments, remarking, "What I meant to say was that only 75 percent are fat pigs.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Krajicek

Well they might still be useless, but at least most of them are hot nowadays!

I thought you'd made that up at first.

That is brilliant. Don't tell me that when you see some of the women playing they don't look a bit chunky.

I thought you'd made that up at first.

That is brilliant. Don't tell me that when you see some of the women playing they don't look a bit chunky.

Tennis players are always saying stuff like that.

Dunno, reminds me of this barbers I used to go to.

Each of the chairs had a customised etched mirror depicting the barber who used it.

One was into boxing, another dirt bike riding, another karate.

Not over-compensating or anything. Nothing says man's man like a pretty custom etched mirror...

Good looking women are promoted by the circuit insiders to bring in a male audience and lucrative advertising. Simple as that.

IMPO the grunting is all part of the marketing game as well - loads of men watching gorgeous young women in short skirts whilst listening to them simulate sex verbally.