House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
R K

Edward B0llocks And Mendacity

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/372...ing-balls.thtml

Ed Balls has just called me up about my post from this morning , hopping mad. He instructed me to "take that post down now". I thought he was joking: has there been some change to the constitution where ministers now have power over the media? But he was deadly serious. "You should not call me a liar," said Balls. I told him that if he doesn't want to be called a liar, “he shouldn't tell liesâ€. His defence is that his point about debt is a Brownie, not a lie - okay, he didn't put it quite like that. But when he said "debt" he referred to the "ratio of national debt to gross domestic product" which is forecasted in the Budget to start falling in eight to nine years time. Now the Budget, of course, has a "horizon" running out in 2013/14: there are literally no plans beyond that. It is a lie to suggest otherwise.

Budget 2009 does come up with illustrative pie-in-the-sky projections beyond that date - and Balls was referring to one of these. To be specific, the 2009 Budget refers (1) to "debt falling as a proportion of GDP by 2017-18 when the global shocks will have worked their way through the economy in full." So this is what he was referring to when he said on the radio "Alistair Darling in the budget set out plans which show the deficit coming down, national debt coming down."

I told him that he is referring to a debt ratio, not debt, and they are two fundamentally different things. One is money, the other is a ratio. Outside the world of government finance, there is only one interpretation of "debt falling." There is not a person in this country, I said, who doesn't understand the difference between their debt rising, and their debt falling. If Balls goes on the radio and says "debt will fall" he is giving a false impression to the people who will be paying off this debt. Balls said that my explanation is "economically illiterate" and that every public finance geek in the world thinks of debt as a ratio of gross domestic product. Quite possibly, I replied, but every voter in Britain - other than those who work for the Treasury - thinks of debt in very clear terms. It goes up, or goes down. The government does not have special magic debt, which makes it exempt from this binary distinction. And to these voters, debt is far from abstract. article continues.......

We all make mistakes. We wouldn't get anywhere in life without them.

It's the deceipt, the manipulation, the bullying, the spin, the arrogance, the lack of any reasonable measure of morality that it so depressing about this particular bunch.

What I actually find even worse than that, is that there are 300 or so other freeloaders stood with them who haven't got a single testicle between them to stand up and be counted. Edward b0llocks may lie, but his party let him get away with it. Which is an even more heinous crime imo.

It's the deceipt, the manipulation, the bullying, the spin, the arrogance, the lack of any reasonable measure of morality that it so depressing about this particular bunch.

What I actually find even worse than that, is that there are 300 or so other freeloaders stood with them who haven't got a single testicle between them to stand up and be counted. Edward b0llocks may lie, but his party let him get away with it. Which is an even more heinous crime imo.

Not just me who wanted to crush my radio with my heel when Balls was on Today then.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/372...alls-lies.thtml

Ed Balls has been sounding increasingly desperate since his thwarted attempt to become Chancellor. He has started to hijack radio interviews, splurging out concocted claims about the Tories no matter what he is asked. But this morning, he used outright lies. People exaggerate in politics, they interpret and even stretch the truth until the elastic snaps. But rarely are outright, downright lies told. That was until now. Team Brown is adopting a new strategy: repeat a lie, as often as possible, hoping the interviewer will not stop or correct you. Here is the Balls Lie on the Today programme this morning.

LIE no1: “We have acted in the downturn, that will mean that the economy is stronger, we’ll have less unemployment, less debt…â€

Less debt? No, this was not a mistake. He repeats it here.

LIE no2: “Alistair Darling in the budget set out plans which show the deficit coming down, national debt coming down.â€

So today, a new Brownie – no, okay, it’s a downright lie – is born. Labour wants us to believe that debt is coming down. Let’s look at the Budget 2009 plans for debt.

1_fullsize.jpg

And the article that triggered the call.

i watched uncle Ed on the Andrew Marr show on sunday, he looked hyped up as though he was on speed, he was gesticulating everywhere, looked more like Edward Scissorhands. Uncle Ed and Aunty Mandy are now running the treasury as little Alistair their progeny is not a safe pair of hands. We are not going to have a Public Funding Reveiw, Uncle Ed said that he did,nt know where the economy was going to be in 2010, but they were prepared to spend , spend , spend.

Please tell Uncle Ed that the economy actually shrank by 2.5% for the first quarter of 2009 and this was the largest drop in economic activity since 1958.

The Telegraph believe that Nu Labour are adopting a policy of Scorched Earth, its comforting to know that Stalinism is alive and well.

Guest sillybear2
Can I ask if they are so good at predicting the future why are we in this mess. And what happened to there predictions for the crash?

"ONS: UK Q1 2009 GDP -2.4%

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=192

that's Darling's forecast for fall in GDP for whole of 2009 taken care of in first quarter alone then. Happy days!"

;)

And a comment:

hamish.png

Any relation? I think we should be told!

I saw that, but our own Hamish IIRC, has classed himself as a Tory.

Guest sillybear2
I saw that, but our own Hamish IIRC, has classed himself as a Tory.

Hamish Watson works at the DMO.

They cheer him on - they want to be where he is.

People who are interested in truth, honour, integrity don't go in for jobs that are based on lying to people to get approval and then forcing others to comply.

They cheer him on - they want to be where he is.

People who are interested in truth, honour, integrity don't get jobs that are based on lying to people to get approval and then forcing others to comply.

Fixed?

I think the system is biased to stop anyone with any sense of truth or honour getting the jobs.

Take being a CEO if you ran the company honestly and openly your share price would take a hammering. If you lie and manipulate the share prices goes up and the shareholders love you.

Fixed?

I think the system is biased to stop anyone with any sense of truth or honour getting the jobs.

Take being a CEO if you ran the company honestly and openly your share price would take a hammering. If you lie and manipulate the share prices goes up and the shareholders love you.

I wonder what happened to 'My word is my bond'?

Lawyers presumably...............

I wonder what happened to 'My word is my bond'?

Lawyers presumably...............

Only happens where the other person can refuse what you are offering in future.

Mp's can lie to you and you still have to pay them - so why would they tell you the truth?

Only happens where the other person can refuse what you are offering in future.

Mp's can lie to you and you still have to pay them - so why would they tell you the truth?

Excellent point. So it's taxation that's the real culprit you think?

Excellent point. So it's taxation that's the real culprit you think?

Yup.

Until as many as possible of the states "services" are provided on a take it or leave it basis there will be no honesty or iintegrity.