House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Brown Takes Cash From Schools, Roads And Health To Pay For 30,000 Homes

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle6605915.ece

Gordon Brown has raided the health, education and transport budgets to fund 30,000 extra “social†homes in a hastily assembled relaunch heavily influenced by Lord Mandelson.

There was immediate confusion in Whitehall last night as departments appeared not to be aware that they were supposed to be funding the £1.5 billion centrepiece of the Government’s pre-election fightback.

The plan to increase to 110,000 the number of social homes built over the next two years was the only significant expenditure outlined by Mr Brown yesterday as he fought to regain the initiative with a draft programme of 11 Bills for the last session of Parliament before polling day.

Downing Street signalled that half the cost would come from the Department for Communities and the rest from “underspends†elsewhere.

Within hours the sums were being challenged. The Department for Communities refused to accept that it would foot half the bill and seemed to be fighting a proposal to plunder its Decent Homes refurbishment programme. Whitehall sources repeatedly told The Times that no agreement had been reached, amid warnings that the move would leave at least 200,000 council homes in disrepair.

Officials at the Schools Department were also taken by surprise. The Department of Health implied that the money could come from a £350 million underspend in capital projects this year, but had no details. The Home Office is providing nearly £50 million. The Department for Transport said that money would be raised from underspending on the widening of the M25 — a project that has been in dire financial difficulties.

Tony Travers, a local government expert at the London School of Economics, said: “It would be a tragedy if the money were taken from the noble endeavour of tackling a legacy of very poor housing stock to create the appearance of a spending boost.â€

Smells of total panic.

Delusional Brown is losing it completely.

Guest sillybear2

If so many government departments are unable to spend/waste all the money they are given that can be nothing other than a clear indication that government spending is too high, clearly there is lots of rooms for cuts before you affect fundamental programmes.

Edited by sillybear2

Is it just me, or does the number of social homes seem like a drop in the ocean?

It is. The council waiting list in Oldham (A town of about 80k people) is over 10k.

We've got some scheme here:

New £4.7m council housing boost

Reporter: Janice Barker

Date online: 07/04/2009

The foundations have been laid for the first council houses to be built in Oldham for more than two decades.

Byron Green, Hollinwood, is the chosen site as a £4.7m scheme to build affordable housing is pioneered in the borough.

A total of 32 new two, three and four-bedroom homes will be bought in partnership with First Choice Homes Oldham from builders McInerney Homes.

So what's that? 142k a piece? That's insane. You can't possible make sense from those figures. How ultra expensive....

Bought not built that's the key. Bailing out builders.

But the Goverment DO own Hunderds of Thousands of homes................just look at the loan book of:-

RBS

Northern Rock

B&B

Etc

Mike

I first read that in the title as £30,000 homes

& thought, at last, the true cost of housing

without land greed, builder greed, & any other example of base humanity interfering with a need

but I was mistaken :(

This is what I HATE about Labour.

We are in dire trouble and need a national debate to raise awareness. There are huge, unresolved problems in Education and the NHS, yet all that we get are silly 'initiatives' to make Brown look good and the Labour party as a whole utterly fail to accept their responsibilities and instead flock sychophanically around MacCyclops.

Blair/Brown were never good leaders, they relied upon spin and sound bite rather than tough decisions, Blair had the personality to smoothly talk his way out of anything (Many psychopaths also display this ablity), Brown can only flounder around, relying on Mandelevilperson to tell him what to say.

Well, there is nothing anybody can do really.

The cup runneth dry. The welfare state has usurped the productive and its all going to get much worse from here. Houses are going to be of little importance when there is no real private sector economy.

EDIT: This surely is a 'downfall' moment. Heir Gordon's last thread of sanity has left the bunker.

Edited by cashinmattress

Guest AuntJess
This is what I HATE about Labour.

We are in dire trouble and need a national debate to raise awareness. There are huge, unresolved problems in Education and the NHS, yet all that we get are silly 'initiatives' to make Brown look good and the Labour party as a whole utterly fail to accept their responsibilities and instead flock sychophanically around MacCyclops.

Blair/Brown were never good leaders, they relied upon spin and sound bite rather than tough decisions, Blair had the personality to smoothly talk his way out of anything (Many psychopaths also display this ablity), Brown can only flounder around, relying on Mandelevilperson to tell him what to say.

He will lay waste to this country now and for the foreseeable future, just to try and win himself another few years in power.

Meglomania at its worst.

Well, there is nothing anybody can do really.

The cup runneth dry. The welfare state has usurped the productive and its all going to get much worse from here. Houses are going to be of little importance when there is no real private sector economy.

EDIT: This surely is a 'downfall' moment. Heir Gordon's last thread of sanity has left the bunker.

& yet this still does not feel like the right moment to launch my 'Wasteland Properties' estate agency, (the antidote to Foxtons)

Guest AuntJess
100,000 new 'tutors' for 1-1 sessions with lagging kids announced this morning.

Vote Labour.

Is this a tongue in cheek post? Only you seem to have forgotten the roll eyes smiley. :) If it is for real, like to comment on where the money is coming from to pay these tutors, or - like the ever-swelling ranks of voluntary organisations - are they expected to do it for nowt? :huh:

Edited by AuntJess

It was announced days ago.

We even have a thread about it.

I can't remember who started it :rolleyes:

Is this a tongue in cheek post? Only you seem to have forgotten the roll eyes smiley. :) If it is for real, like to comment on where the money is coming from to pay these tutors, or - like the ever-swelling ranks of voluntary organisations - are they expected to do it for nowt? :huh:

My apologies Jess:

:rolleyes:

There ya go ;)

It is. The council waiting list in Oldham (A town of about 80k people) is over 10k.

We've got some scheme here:

New £4.7m council housing boost

Reporter: Janice Barker

Date online: 07/04/2009

The foundations have been laid for the first council houses to be built in Oldham for more than two decades.

Byron Green, Hollinwood, is the chosen site as a £4.7m scheme to build affordable housing is pioneered in the borough.

A total of 32 new two, three and four-bedroom homes will be bought in partnership with First Choice Homes Oldham from builders McInerney Homes.

So what's that? 142k a piece? That's insane. You can't possible make sense from those figures. How ultra expensive....

Bought not built that's the key. Bailing out builders.

So where are these 80k

Are they on HB in private rented?

Is the taxpayer paying them to stay at travelodge?

Are they living with friends family?

Ive never thought about being on it myself, but do people just add themselves to the list on the offchance of getting a council house and eventually buy it cheap?

I've always got my finger on the pulse :lol:

I really think we've left the Anger phase, and are now entering the bargaining phase - where the bereaved try a desperate deal - ANYTHING - to make things how they once were

next comes depression, I dunno, 6 to 12 months??

Vote Labour.

Or you can sue the school! Sounds fantastic!

But sheeple don't realise that.

Too true, just look at the numbers suing the NHS.

All sucking money out of treating people. However if you've been crippled by incompetence there is no option.

Although the case of Lesley Ash highlights the problems.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle3201003.ece

Leslie Ash, the actress who contracted an infection similar to MRSA in hospital, has been awarded a record-breaking compensation package after suffering years of paralysis in her lower body.

The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital agreed yesterday to pay Ms Ash £5 million for the “shortcomings in her care†while she was a patient.

The NHS Litigation Authority said that the payout set a new record for compensation in a case of hospital-acquired infection, adding that the size reflected her prospective future loss of earnings. Patient groups described it as a “wake-up call†for hospitals to improve their infection control.

Future loss of earning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Ash

On 19 May 2009, it was announced that Ash would join the cast of BBC drama, Holby City from October 2009, playing the role of exectuive Vanessa Lyton.

So the taxpayer compensates her for not working in future and then the next minute she's got a job. So has her illness really stopped her from working?

I'm sure what she went through was horrific but these deals should have clauses in that if you become healthy enough to work you don't get all the money.

Edited by interestrateripoff

Guest sillybear2

I want Laura to be my personal tutor... it's my rights, innit :P