House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

three pint princess

I Love Bats

Vampire%20Bat%201.jpg

There's one circling my garden 20 or 30 times in a narrow loop of 10 meters or so, that's just when i was standing outside watching it,

came within inches of my head.

Eating all the really annoying bugs and near silent accept for a very quiet noise when it's wings are close and it turns fast making the same sound

as an A4 sheet of copier paper landing on a laminate floor from desk height.

I even tried blowing out excess CO2 and smoke to attract insects closer but it seemed happy flying near my head either way.

:)

Bats are cool. Flying mice as the Germans call them (I think it's spelled Fliegelmaus).

Wish I could fly.

Right up in the sky.

But I can't.

I'm going out for a cigarette, will see if he comes back and get a video.

Edit: Too dark now, he came back once after I built up a nice head of midges and took 2 or 3. Then left.

I'm going out for a cigarette, will see if he comes back and get a video.

I see we share a summer evening passtime. We've also got a few bats living (I presume) in the oak trees at the bottom of the garden, and they really are quite a sight in the fading light of summer evenings. I too am now going for a bat-hunting smoke.

Bats are cool. Flying mice as the Germans call them (I think it's spelled Fliegelmaus).

Wish I could fly.

Right up in the sky.

But I can't.

Fledermaus. Personally, I think this puts the Germans at a linguistic disadvantage, as it renders them incapable of describing an actual flying mouse should one be encountered. Had Bomber Command deluged the place in mice in 1939 the sheer confusion might have saved millions of lives (well, not mouse lives, but hey, we're bigger than them).

I see we share a summer evening passtime. We've also got a few bats living (I presume) in the oak trees at the bottom of the garden, and they really are quite a sight in the fading light of summer evenings. I too am now going for a bat-hunting smoke.

A commonly shared way to experience a few moments in the evening ;)

Get yourself a bat detector and you will be able to determine which species you have too ;)

If you are any where near Chester zoo they have a great bat house that allows you to walk amongst them - There is a cave that restricts the flight to within cm's of you (usually tour face lol) and you feel them fly by too! By far the best attraction at that place!

I have camped all my life and love it just at dusk when everything is quiet, we sit outside in the dark and are frequently blessed with bats.

I didn't like the massive leather looking things I saw in a zoo in Florida though, bit too 'Lancaster Bomber' sized! :lol:

When I bought the new house at the beginning of the year I was clearing out the double garage and went to sweep the cobwebs off the wall with a broom and got the fright of my life.

A ball of fluff turned it`s head and screeched at me :o

It then turned back round again and went back to sleep next to it`s partner.

I placed some tall wood around and over the bats to make it dark for them again and left them to it. Everyone wanted to see the bats and after a week they had buggered off.

Felt bad disturbing them.

They're great bats.

I have them flying past my abode on summer evenings.

Amazing to watch, so fast.

I used to have a hedgehog too come visit... not seen it for a while.

I have camped all my life and love it just at dusk when everything is quiet, we sit outside in the dark and are frequently blessed with bats.

I didn't like the massive leather looking things I saw in a zoo in Florida though, bit too 'Lancaster Bomber' sized! :lol:

I thought you were a bird....

_39327059_pride_leather.jpg

This one time..... At Bat camp

They're great bats.

I have them flying past my abode on summer evenings.

Amazing to watch, so fast.

I used to have a hedgehog too come visit... not seen it for a while.

Perhaps it couldn't get a flight?

Fledermaus. Personally, I think this puts the Germans at a linguistic disadvantage, as it renders them incapable of describing an actual flying mouse should one be encountered.

Ah, but English isn't perfect in that respect either. A cricketer walks onto the pitch and the radio commentator says "Wilkinson appears to be carrying an unusually large bat." There's an ambiguity there that wouldn't arise in German.

Wish I could fly.

Right up in the sky.

But I can't.

I like the Spanish word - murcielago - a contrast to the short English equivalent. And yes, bats are great, but if I could look over a tree-clustered garden with squirrels as well I'd be a happy man!

I like the Spanish word - murcielago - a contrast to the short English equivalent. And yes, bats are great, but if I could look over a tree-clustered garden with squirrels as well I'd be a happy man!

Isn't there an Italian sports called a Mucielago?

My daughter gets a bit paranoid about bats which get into the sitting room at this time of year. It is a bit disconcerting because they fly so haphazradly. It may explain why she now lives in Manchester.

My Dad claimed that he had been bitten by a bat he was holding. A bit odd sometimes, my Dad.

My daughter gets a bit paranoid about bats which get into the sitting room at this time of year. It is a bit disconcerting because they fly so haphazradly. It may explain why she now lives in Manchester.

My Dad claimed that he had been bitten by a bat he was holding. A bit odd sometimes, my Dad.

Any Translyvanian link there we should know about?

Ah, but English isn't perfect in that respect either. A cricketer walks onto the pitch and the radio commentator says "Wilkinson appears to be carrying an unusually large bat." There's an ambiguity there that wouldn't arise in German.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, that's TMS ruined for the summer then.

Next you'll be telling me Bruce Wayne used to sneak out at night to press an officers trousers and make sure his bath is run at the correct temperature.

Guest theboltonfury

I like bats too. I'm regularly divebombed by them on my dogs pre bed walk. I'm told it's impossible for them to hit you due to their advanced echo system, but sometimes I wonder if my bats have it switched on.