House Price Crash Forum
Injin

Young Who Refuse Job Offers Will Have Benefits Axed

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle6604266.ece

Young people who refuse to take a job, work experience or training place are to lose their benefits under plans announced by Gordon Brown today.

Setting out the final legislative programme before the election, Mr Brown told MPs that from January everyone under 25 years old who has been unemployed for a year would get a guaranteed job, work experience or training place under a £1 billion plan announced in the Budget.

The idea is to provide 150,000 jobs, a third of which will be in areas of high unemployment.

The fresh element announced by Mr Brown was that by "next spring" the youngsters would have the "obligation to accept that guaranteed offer" or face having their benefits cut.

Those who refuse a suitable job offer could lose two weeks benefit, four weeks if they turn a job down a second time and 26 weeks for a third failure.

Mr Brown's Building Britain's Future blueprint included new “entitlements†for users of public services, a boost to house-building, extra training opportunities for young people, and the removal of the final hereditary peers from the House of Lords.

In a statement to the House of Commons, Mr Brown unveiled the draft legislative programme which will form the bulk of this autumn’s Queen’s Speech.

The Prime Minister said: “There is a real choice for our country – driving growth forward or letting the recession take its course; creating jobs for the future or doing nothing.

“We will not walk away from the British people in difficult times. Our policy is to build the growth, the jobs and the public services we need for Britain’s future.â€

The most expensive item was a big rise in public housing – 110,000 over two years – costing £1.5 billion. Half of that will come from a reallocation of resources within the Communities Department and the rest from other departments, including the Home Office and transport department.

Officials said most of the £7750m from other departments would come from "underspends" caused by a better than expected performance by the private finance initiative.

David Cameron, the Tory leader, responded: “The Prime Minister is living in a dream world, in which investment is going up, spending is going up – when is someone going to tell him he has run out of money?

:lol:

Slaver Cromwell is standing outside parliament after all - the guy who shipped tens of thousands of his English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish opponents (mainly the Irish ones) off to the West Indies, where they worked as slaves on the plantations.

Edited by gruffydd

Jobseekers allowance claimants who refuse job offers can ALREADY have their benefits cut. But it never seems to happen. This seems to be primarily becaue they are never offered any jobs whatsoever. So what exactly will change ?

How can it be slavery?

They are not forced to claim benefits, but to do so they have to fulfil certain conditions.

If I want to get paid, I have to turn up and work from 8 whilst 5. Is that slavery?

Jobseekers allowance claimants who refuse job offers can ALREADY have their benefits cut. But it never seems to happen. This seems to be primarily becaue they are never offered any jobs whatsoever. So what exactly will change ?

what will change is that from next year local authorities will define what counts as work experience and training

i'm envisaging a number of exciting new opportunities to clear up fly tipping and graffiti

Once they have taken the work/training they will ring in sick, doss about, cause trouble and be too much bother. Most will be sacked within the first four weeks and then continue to claim benefit as they have ticked the neccessary boxes. This is just throwing money away. Short of a cat-o- ninetails you can't make people work who don't want it, they will claim benefits or steal.

what will change is that from next year local authorities will define what counts as work experience and training

i'm envisaging a number of exciting new opportunities to clear up fly tipping and graffiti

I'm envisaging another great excuse for local authorities to create more high paying non-jobs for themselves, after all they will need to create a whole new department with lots of managers to deal with this new task of finding jobs for the benefit takers...

How can it be slavery?

They are not forced to claim benefits, but to do so they have to fulfil certain conditions.

If I want to get paid, I have to turn up and work from 8 whilst 5. Is that slavery?

Civilisation is based on slavery. Lewis Mumford would be a good place to start your reading.

What other options do you suggest?

I'm envisaging another great excuse for local authorities to create more high paying non-jobs for themselves, after all they will need to create a whole new department with lots of managers to deal with this new task of finding jobs for the benefit takers...

yup

someone has to outreach to those diverse benefit seekers

I work my ar5e off 70 hours a week and pay a fortune in taxes, to support a bunch of benefit scroungers, who have nothing better to do and knock each other up the duff to get more bloody money from my pay packet. Sitting there is their rent free flats, sipping on cans of stella while watching sports on their 42" plasm tv, that my taxes have paid for. When the country, says to them "get a job", they tell us to F--k right off. So we say to them "Get a job or we'll stop your benefits - you have to do something".

They have bloody cheek to turn around and say its slavery. Wheres my whip, I'll give them slavery.

If you not employed, self-employed, student, training or volunteering and unless your disabled (properly disabled) and retired then why should you receive money from everyone else.

This isnt a free for all. :(

Civilisation is based on slavery. Lewis Mumford would be a good place to start your reading.

What other options do you suggest?

We all have to do something we generally don't want to do, in return for payment or services - it's called work. Granted, some folk love their job and fair play to them, but I imagine 99% of us would rather be f**king the Mrs, or the neighbours Mrs, playing chess, walking the dog etc. However, we can't, because we have bills to pay. I don't particularly want to go to work tomorrow, but I realise that should I choose not to, I won't get paid.

Why should those claiming benefits not be part of the same process? You get your benefits, but you have to do certain things for them. If you don't want to do those things, then fair enough, but you don't get your benefits. YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

I fail to see how this is illogical Dr Spock!

To question this always makes you a benefit basher on this forum.

We all have to do something we generally don't want to do, in return for payment or services - it's called work. Granted, some folk love their job and fair play to them, but I imagine 99% of us would rather be f**king the Mrs, or the neighbours Mrs, playing chess, walking the dog etc. However, we can't, because we have bills to pay. I don't particularly want to go to work tomorrow, but I realise that should I choose not to, I won't get paid.

Why should those claiming benefits not be part of the same process? You get your benefits, but you have to do certain things for them. If you don't want to do those things, then fair enough, but you don't get your benefits. YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

Tis true.

For a more fair portrayal of things, take all the things that are coerced from people from the benefits list and theres not a right lot left.

All most benefits do is cancel an obligation that by rights shouldn't be there in the first place. Basically the state is buying a lot of findus crispy pancakes.

However, what it wants to do is make someone work 40 hours a week for food and heat. I'm not fussed - they'll go pop before they can bring it in and then folks can sort themselves out.

Young people who refuse to take a job, work experience or training place are to lose their benefits....

.... unless they get pregnant, in which case the State will happily provide them with a house and a regular, secure income.

Let's face it; when the government talks about 'young people' what they actually mean is young men. Many of the things that would give meaning to the lives of men from deprived and disadvantaged backgrounds have been destroyed by this government. The largesse handed out by the State to teenage single mothers has not only had the effect of sending rates of teenage pregnancy sky-rocketing; it has produced a generation of young men who are superfluous to requirements as husbands and fathers. With so little for them to take pride in it's unsurprising that many reject the society that has so comprehensively rejected them. Some turn to crime, some are long-term unemployed, many try to retain their dignity despite relentless attempts, like this latest government 'initiative', to denigrate and demonise them as worthless.

The problem is not a lack of jobs, a lack of training or a lack of work experience. The root cause of unemployment among young men is a sense of futility. A (not unreasonable) belief that they will never be able to provide a stable, comfortable home for their family in a way that the State can and so they don't even try. This government is destroying the fabric of society piece by piece and when the people refuse to play along it then threatens to withdraw its supposed generosity. Ironically things would have been a lot better if the State had stayed out of it in the first place.

Young Who Refuse Job Offers Will Have Benefits Axed, Gordon to re-open the case for slavery.

Not quite sure where you're coming from Injin.. I would have thought as someone who objects to any form of state or organised/imposed order you would be stronly against any form of state benefit.. after all, as you remind us, tax is theft.

.... unless they get pregnant, in which case the State will happily provide them with a house and a regular, secure income.

Let's face it; when the government talks about 'young people' what they actually mean is young men. Many of the things that would give meaning to the lives of men from deprived and disadvantaged backgrounds have been destroyed by this government. The largesse handed out by the State to teenage single mothers has not only had the effect of sending rates of teenage pregnancy sky-rocketing; it has produced a generation of young men who are superfluous to requirements as husbands and fathers. With so little for them to take pride in it's unsurprising that many reject the society that has so comprehensively rejected them. Some turn to crime, some are long-term unemployed, many try to retain their dignity despite relentless attempts, like this latest government 'initiative', to denigrate and demonise them as worthless.

The problem is not a lack of jobs, a lack of training or a lack of work experience. The root cause of unemployment among young men is a sense of futility. A (not unreasonable) belief that they will never be able to provide a stable, comfortable home for their family in a way that the State can and so they don't even try. This government is destroying the fabric of society piece by piece and when the people refuse to play along it then threatens to withdraw its supposed generosity. Ironically things would have been a lot better if the State had stayed out of it in the first place.

Sorry but for every teenage single mum there is a teenage single dad...50 50 responsibility...think about it. ;)

You are the best kind of slave, cheap, hard working, and completely oblivious to your slavery. You can't help it, you have been programmed from birth to accept your situation.

Your thought processes are only logical if you are unable to see your slavery.

As for claiming benefits, I would suggest that is the perfect example of capitalism at work, maximising return on your investment, why work when you can get paid not to, works for the CAP.

You really cannot see your cage can you?

I work my ar5e off 70 hours a week and pay a fortune in taxes, to support a bunch of benefit scroungers, who have nothing better to do and knock each other up the duff to get more bloody money from my pay packet. Sitting there is their rent free flats, sipping on cans of stella while watching sports on their 42" plasm tv, that my taxes have paid for. When the country, says to them "get a job", they tell us to F--k right off. So we say to them "Get a job or we'll stop your benefits - you have to do something".

They have bloody cheek to turn around and say its slavery. Wheres my whip, I'll give them slavery.

If you not employed, self-employed, student, training or volunteering and unless your disabled (properly disabled) and retired then why should you receive money from everyone else.

This isnt a free for all. :(

Your talking about a very small minority whom actually do this, the last 10 years of boom economics saw a lot of these kind of people want to better themselves and many got into full time paid work and enjoyed the fruits of there labour (money to spend)

There is a good chance many of us will end up out of work in the near future - will you be attacking us? I have been in paid work for the last 25 years and from time to time have had to rely on the system, never enjoyed it but it was there - unless you are completley brain dead or a junky most people want to give some of there labour for Monies

Edited by smiffy1967

Your talking about a very small minority whom actually do this, the last 10 years of boom economics saw a lot of these kind of people want to better themselves and many got into full time paid work and enjoyed the fruits of there labour (money to spend)

There is a good chance many of us will end up out of work in the near future - will you be attacking us? I have been in paid work for the last 25 years and from time to time have had to rely on the system, never enjoyed it but it was there - unless you are completley brain dead or a junky most people want to give some of there labour for Monies

Exactly Smiffy, this is what is happening right now as we type. The former middle classes are now being demonized by those who are still enjoying the fruits of our corrupt system. When they have their stuff taken off them by those even further up the pyramid they might be feeling quite so happy, however they will then be in no position to do anything because they will be the new scum.

Sorry but for every teenage single mum there is a teenage single dad...50 50 responsibility...think about it. ;)

I think his point is that while the state is there to bail out, single mum doesn't have to make a decent choice in the first place - with the obvious consequences.

From the list of good provider, sexually atractive, stable, employed etc etc we can remove all the things the state can also provide until you are left with "makes me feel horny" and "is a bit of a laugh" or "has drink/drugs this weekend" as selection criteria for sexual partners.