House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

Vodafone 'mulls Bid For T-mobile'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8123616.stm

More in the link

Mobile phone operator Vodafone has declined to comment on a report that it is considering buying T-Mobile UK.

The Financial Times reported that the company was interested in acquiring T-Mobile's UK operations, even though a deal may be blocked by regulators.

Any such move would make Vodafone the biggest mobile operator in the UK, with a 40% market share.

Vodafone has a 25% share of the UK market, behind O2. T-Mobile, owned by Deutsche Telekom, has a 15% share.

One analyst questioned why either side would be interested in a deal.

Steven Harley, senior analyst with the mobile team at Ovum, said the timing seemed wrong.

"From T-Mobile's perspective, why sell at the bottom of the market? You're not going to get top dollar," he said.

"From Vodafone's perspective, why lay out a significant sum at a particularly bad time? Yes you'll buy the extra customers but you'll get the operational costs as well."

UK MOBILE PHONE MARKET SHARE

O2: 27%

Vodafone: 25%

Orange: 22%

T-Mobile: 15%

3: 8%

Source: Ofcom

out of O2's 27% market share, how much of that is due to the exclusivity of the iphone deal? take that out of the equasion and you get a fairer comparison IMHO

but i'm on T-Mobile as they have the best internet fair use policy (10gb p/m compared ot Vodaphones 500mb p/m) and get the phones i like working properly with the networks (i had alot of issues with the HTC TyTn that i got on Vodaphone, but the TyTn II i got on T-Mobile has been a dream)

and the analyst's view is interesting and spot on (but TBH this isnt the bottom)

There is simply no way the regulator will say yes to this.

Its just a non starter.

Obviously some exec's wanted to sell some shares at a premium.

There is simply no way the regulator will say yes to this.

Its just a non starter.

Obviously some exec's wanted to sell some shares at a premium.

Yep there is absolutely no chance of them bending the rules is there?

After all they have never done that before have they?

TXT YR BD TO 88888. TXTS CST £5B.

Off topic I know but have you seen the current T-mobile TV ad campaign? It features clips of a youthful crowd in Trafalgar Square singing Britney Spears's "One More Time".

Its hard to believe I must have done the same sort of thing when I was kiddy-winkle. Watching them all singing along like their lives count on it. Looking at it now I see their earnest loyalty to their idol as collosal gullibility.

As Adolf Hitler said "What luck for leaders that men do not think."

On a not dissimilar theme : Why did so many members of the public need to mourn Diana's death and now Michael Jackson's death so publicly?

My own suspicions are that insecure people use the success of others to make themselves look good.

Essentially they project the stars's image onto themselves, to give themselves a shield protecting them against potential threats among their peers. When the star dies so does their shield and that loss then turns into attention seeking. The mourning we've seen is not so much the sadness at that star's own death, but the loss of the shield behind which individuals could hide.

When Diana died she was at the height of her popularity; in Jackson's case the reclusiveness he showed and adverse allegations he incurred made him a less attractive persona to have projected on oneself - explaining the more restrained outpouring of public grieving. The media had hoped for a Diana-style blubb-fest over Jackson's death but failed to take these points into account, leaving them disappointed and with egg on their faces.

Edited by Dave Spart

Yep there is absolutely no chance of them bending the rules is there?

After all they have never done that before have they?

Oh they have. But only when it is to their advantage.

At all other times its a no. A big fat no.