House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shiningliao

Any One Familiar With Milton Keynes

First of all, is Milton Keynes belongs to South-East? or East-Midlands?

Any one familiar with Milton Keynes area? I would like to know where is nicer carea in general. Where is the area that I should try to avoid. (For example, council estate area.)

I am going to rent a 2 bedroom house first. Any comment will be appreciated.

Any one familiar with Milton Keynes area? I would like to know where is nicer carea in general. Where is the area that I should try to avoid. (For example, council estate area.)

I am going to rent a 2 bedroom house first. Any comment will be appreciated.

i would avoid milton keynes.

(there is some nicer villages and small towns near by though)

It seems strange but even in Luton you get Anglia TV... weather in Clacton and Ipswich seems miles away from LU.

Milton Keynes is the place to be, a town of the future. The centre (CMK) is spotless, wide pavements, lots of parking and great shopping centre. Its easy to get around with dual carriegeways... it is unlike any other UK town more US grid like system. I like it because I dont feel claustrophobic there. Lots of hitech factories so lots of employment. I`m thinking of of buying a place near CMK, Bradwell Common or Oldbrook. Lots of greenery and green spaces. I dont think there are any council estates, its all mixed up!. One end of the road is fine while the other is @fric@n! so beware.

The best rule of thumb for any estate in MK is to avoid any estate with a straight roads, take a look on Google Maps and you'll see what I mean.

The less attractive estates, Fishermead, Netherfield, Beanhill etc all have straight roads, the better estates are more thoughtfully, aesthetically set out.

Good advice there. Have you seen the asking prices for most new instructions -, detached houses in MK? They are up at 2007 peak levels! God knows how the estate agents are making it up. Some houses did sell around March time for a good 20% off, but these deals appear to have gone unless the house has been on the market over a year and has dropped to sell. Nethouseprices helps but its still hard to judge as prices for similar houses even in the same street vary by about 40K!

Neither. It is too far north to be South East (thats St Albans) and too far South West to be East Midlands (thats Leicester etc.)

Milton Keynes is in the South East Midlands. This region does exist and is quoted by government as being a region for growth, ie where they want to bung hundreds of thousands of new homes by 2020.

I suggest mods adding a region called South East Midlands, this is where MK belongs for sure.

Edited by Spoony

the squares that monkeybutt mentioned are all horrible but there are plenty more horrid areas too. Lots of perfectly decent areas too of course. My sister lives there so i know it a little and I did once for a year when young.

Broadly for nice areas I would suggest stony stratford as that's one of the three towns at the edge. Beautiful full of pubs, character high street and character houses. Avoid bletchley in one of the other corners although bletchley park (home of WW2 codebreaking) is a fascinating spot to visit. Best areas to me would be willen (on the lake - lovely) or woughton on the green. loughton (central) or walnut tree.

As someone has mentioned though there are lovely villages around too near MK

cheers

P

This thread has been dead for a while but I just thought I'd mention something different recently.

Noticed more 4 bedroom "new build" as in 5 years old properties coming onto the market and then not selling. One or two may go "under offer" but they fall through and the houses stick on the market. At one stage there were 6 in one development.

The asking prices are often 400k plus.

Grew up in Milton Keynes - now in late 20's.

It was good for family life. Spacious space for kids & parks. Easy to get around, Good shopping & Family events almost every week. A good selection of schools too.

Some very, very nice satellite towns & villages if you prefer to be distant from the city life, such as:

• Little/Bow Brickhill
  • Woburn Sands
  • Castlethorpe

But there's quite a number of Estates you'd wish to avoid in MK, like Coffee-hall, Inner-Bletchley & Lakes Estate.

Walked around there recently -

Centre - people sleeping in tents in the underpasses. Only rats lived there in 2002.

Bradwell Common next to the centre, semis & detached, some nicely kept, some decaying, sofa dumped next to the children's play ground and lots of rubbish.

Oldbrook, entered from the corner nearest the station, greeted with a shopping trolley with a tyre in it. Next underpass along isn't finished, and syringe packets are lying on the ground.

Statonbury - burnt out / decaying garage blocks surrounded by mounds of rubbish.

Lovely place.

Or you could live on a distant estate,  but as you have to drive from those to get anywhere, why not live in a decent village/town a bit further away?