House Price Crash Forum
midnight_caller

Murray Could Serve Up Property Market Recovery

MURRAY COULD SERVE UP PROPERTY MARKET RECOVERY

The fate of the property market could rest on the shoulders of Scots tennis star Andy Murray, according to a new study which shows that sporting success is a clear indicator of house prices.

The report, by estate agency Rettie and Co points to several historic sporting achievements are their relationship with housing market performance.

The pattern, until now missed by economic experts, shows a clear relationship between sporting success and failure and housing market peaks and troughs.

The property company's weekly market report on the worldwide property market suggests reasons for real optimism should British number one Murray triumph at Wimbledon.

Rettie and Co. researcher Andrew Meehan said: "In 1934 Fred Perry, the last British player to win at Wimbledon won his first title and this was also the year during the Great Depression when house prices hit their nadir, having dropped 15 per cent in value.

"In-depth historic economic analysis shows that after Fred Perry's first victory in 1934 the housing market saw a 2.9 per cent annual increase by 1935, and after his second win there was a 3.7 per cent annual increase.

"This year also saw a British woman, Dorothy Round, takes the ladies championship.

"This relationship between the market nadir and a dual British victory, while disturbing, have a potential upside - with Rafael Nadal out of the running at this year's Wimbledon, housing market improvement is looking ever more hopeful.

"This suggests a pattern that has, until now, been missed by mainstream economic analysis - British sporting success as an indicator of housing market downturn."

While Mr Meehan agreed economic forecasting by tennis results alone is not to be relied upon, his research has also uncovered some other irrefutable correlations between British sporting success and housing market performance.

He said: "If you consider the 1990's housing market hit its lowest point in the last quarter of 1992, the year Nigel Mansell was crowned F1 Champion for the first time, I am sure you will agree the evidence starts to become irrefutable that British sporting success equals house market turmoil."

The home nations' failure to qualify for last year's European football championships also coincided with the beginning of the credit crunch.

However, Mr Meehan added: "On the upside, the success of Lewis Hamilton last year and Jenson Button's strong form this year must confirm the fact we are reaching the base of this economic slump and can look forward to market improvement.

"To those property buyers or sellers currently considering their options this summer I would recommend watching the results of Messer's Button and Murray very closely.

"Historic economic analysis conclusively proves that with every victory we are getting closer to market recovery."

edited by Mod to provide link

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/story.aspx?storycode=6505265

They're completely insane. Never read such rubbish in all my life! Andrew Meehan should be ashamed. Shows you what an MA in History doesn't equip you for!

Edited by gruffydd

Yule in 1928 found a correlation of 0.97 between the levels of alcoholism and levels of C of E marriages.

Rainfall as a predictor of inflation is another.

Missed by most economists - no really.

But, but the B&I Lions lost the series and the Engalnd U21s will probably lose their final tonight to the Germans.

I'm piling my money into the Swiss property market and shall probably avoid the Scottish market all together.

Brasil won another football tournament yesterday and we know they have had a fantastic economy since the fifties.

Its desperate stuff this VI spin.

One of the most ridiculous stories of 2009.

I dont know many people that at him to win anyway

:( Andy Murry's face after winning wimbledon

.. with Rafael Nadal out of the running at this year's Wimbledon, housing market improvement is looking ever more hopeful.

This suggests a pattern that has, until now, been missed by mainstream economic analysis...

COMEDY GOLD

Yule in 1928 found a correlation of 0.97 between the levels of alcoholism and levels of C of E marriages.

Rainfall as a predictor of inflation is another.

yep - I think there was a correlation between Antarctic penguin births and US GDP change also once found

anyhows, googling reveals nothing about this story so it's just a windup - good one tho

in all seriousness, Assetz (or somoene like that) predicted that uncertainty behind the selection of Pope Benedict might have been holding house prices back at the time.

And every time Newport County have been on the verge of relegation we have a world war.

Bloody hell, we better hope they don't get relegated :P

Rettie & Co. researcher Andrew Meehan said: "In 1934 Fred Perry, the last British player to win at Wimbledon won his first title and this was also the year during the Great Depression when house prices hit their nadir, having dropped 15 per cent in value.

"In-depth historic economic analysis shows that after Fred Perry's first victory in 1934 the housing market saw a 2.9 per cent annual increase by 1935, and after his second win there was a 3.7 per cent annual increase.

You could almost make the case that British domestic tennis success is a predictor of war. I mean, I find it hard to believe it's entirely coincidence that we end up at war with Germany five years after Fred Perry won Wimbledon, and we also end up invading Iraq (2003) five years after Tim Henman's first appearance in a Wimbledon semi-final (1998).

What's more, Sue Barker's most successful year overall in Grand Slam competition was 1977, five years before the Falklands war. Okay, it might viewed that her French open win in 1976 was more significant, but given that coincides with the John Nott's announcement of the widthdrawl of the ice patrol ship Endevour from the South Atlantic, I think the comparison stands.

Greg Rusedski was Canadian and so does not count.

Sir Stirling Moss' most successful years as a top level driver also coincide Britain's most active years in the area of nuclear weapons tests.

In short, if Murray wins Wimbledon, get ready to Protect And Survive (for a bit, anyway).

I laughed out load when I read this. I've been contemplating prospect that all the government money pumped into the system may be stalling the falls, but when I read of this level sort of desperation from estate agents, I know not to worry.

I wonder what the correlation is between house price falls and the production of complete garbage analysis like this. I can only assume it was a quiet day in the office.

I've had a brief look at the site of the named agent and can't see this press release.

Could the OP please provide a link. Meantime I will blank out the name of the EA in case it is not true.

Doccyboy

Kind Mrs Google-News provided THIS LINK.

You could almost make the case that British domestic tennis success is a predictor of war. I mean, I find it hard to believe it's entirely coincidence that we end up at war with Germany five years after Fred Perry won Wimbledon, and we also end up invading Iraq (2003) five years after Tim Henman's first appearance in a Wimbledon semi-final (1998).

What's more, Sue Barker's most successful year overall in Grand Slam competition was 1977, five years before the Falklands war. Okay, it might viewed that her French open win in 1976 was more significant, but given that coincides with the John Nott's announcement of the widthdrawl of the ice patrol ship Endevour from the South Atlantic, I think the comparison stands.

Greg Rusedski was Canadian and so does not count.

Sir Stirling Moss' most successful years as a top level driver also coincide Britain's most active years in the area of nuclear weapons tests.

In short, if Murray wins Wimbledon, get ready to Protect And Survive (for a bit, anyway).

to quote the OP, that is irrefutable, and might I add not a little scary.

oh well - still in the denial stage - this thing is going to take AGES to go thru Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Testing, Acceptance

probably our whole lives. b*gger.

edit:

-----

actually no - we may have moved onto Bargaining now with this 'comeon, if we win Wimbledon we'll all be happy - comeon man!' kind of thing:

Symptoms

After the fires of anger have been blow out, the next stage is a desperate round of bargaining, seeking ways to avoid having the bad thing happen. Bargaining is thus a vain expression of hope that the bad news is reversible.

Bargaining in illness includes seeking alternative therapies and experimental drugs. In organizations, it includes offering to work for less money (or even none!), offering to do alternative work or be demoted down the hierarchy. One's loyalties, debts and dependants may be paraded as evidence of the essentiality of being saved.

Treatment

When people are bargaining, you should not offer them any false hope. Although there may be practical things they can do which you can offer them, never offer them something that cannot be fulfilled.

Sometimes the best you can do at this stage is point even more at the inevitable, even though this may well tip them into depression (which may well be a necessary move).

When they are in a bargaining mood, sometimes there are things you can offer them, such as support for change or new opportunities. In these cases you may be able to strike a win-win deal, where they get an improved deal and you get collaboration or some other contribution. In a business setting, this may include finishing off some important work before they leave and receiving a special bonus for doing so.

Edited by Si1

to quote the OP, that is irrefutable, and might I add not a little scary.

Even more so when you consider that in 1957, five years before the Cuban missile crisis, Elvis bought Graceland, and in 2009 his daughter's ex-husband bought the farm.

One of the most ridiculous stories of 2009.

I dont know many people that at him to win anyway

:( Andy Murry's face after winning wimbledon

i got nothing against Murray winning wimbledon- its all the fans who dont really have an interest in tennis and show up for the wimbledon 'experience' that would be really awful :angry: