House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Scarborough - Same As It Always Was ...

May08:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20416282/

"Torben Atkinson, 36, his wife Carole, 35, a cleaner, and daughters Samantha, 14, and Decajaar, 10, moved in a year ago."

So they bought 07-ish.

"Torben, a self-employed joiner, works six 12-hour days to meet the near £1,000-a-month repayment mortgage on their £150,000 four-bedroom home.

He says: "Most of my work is in Hull and that means a 150-mile round trip every day which costs me £20 in diesel for my van. It's an awful lot to pay."

That's nuts - he spends 7x4 (=28 hours = 3.5 days work!) plus 7 x 20 = £140 a week in fuel!

Drive your can down. B+B/doss in back off the van. Work those extra hours saved by the commute so you have the weekends off.

Anyhow, the outcome Jun09:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/591...ben+scarborough

Bust, back living in Hull.

A quick search within the London Gazette shows Scabby is being hammered by bankruptcies.

Brid is doing much, much worse for its relative size.

Scarborough's problem is that it simply is not within sane commuting time of any major centre of employment (except York, and there are proportionally few middle-paying to high paying jobs there of the sort that would attract long-distance commuters). Leeds, Hull and Teesside are all at least 90 minutes away, and that's without any traffic holdups. So basically the town, and its house prices, is overwhelmingly dependant on tourism, an industry in which most of the jobs are both low paid and vulnerable in a recession.

I have looked at Scarborough once or twice: for the last year you can get a decent flat in an OK part of the town for £80-90k, compared to £120-130k within a five-mile radius of York. But just as I'm thinking that living by the seaside has its charms, my thoughts come back to the three hours and £15 a day in petrol getting to and from work in Leeds: hence the reason most of those sort of properties are occupied by retireds.

May08:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20416282/

"Torben Atkinson, 36, his wife Carole, 35, a cleaner, and daughters Samantha, 14, and Decajaar, 10, moved in a year ago."

So they bought 07-ish.

"Torben, a self-employed joiner, works six 12-hour days to meet the near £1,000-a-month repayment mortgage on their £150,000 four-bedroom home.

He says: "Most of my work is in Hull and that means a 150-mile round trip every day which costs me £20 in diesel for my van. It's an awful lot to pay."

That's nuts - he spends 7x4 (=28 hours = 3.5 days work!) plus 7 x 20 = £140 a week in fuel!

Drive your can down. B+B/doss in back off the van. Work those extra hours saved by the commute so you have the weekends off.

Anyhow, the outcome Jun09:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/591...ben+scarborough

Bust, back living in Hull.

A quick search within the London Gazette shows Scabby is being hammered by bankruptcies.

Brid is doing much, much worse for its relative size.

At the risk of being a pedant, he was working a six day week so 120 in fuel pw. The clue was in the question ;)

EDITED TO ADD: cool, his youngest daughter's name is almost a googlewhack.

Edited by aussieboy

OK, screwed up on the days - 6 not 7.

Still some back-of-envelope figures:

150K repayment - 25 years @ 6 - I make around 1.5K a month.

Plus another 4 x 120 petrol = £480

So thats 2K a month (24k/year) gone without eating, paying bills.

Basic costs for a family of 4 is at least 1K/month

My mates a jointer in Scabby. He earns 25K in a good year.

The last couple have not been good - sub 20K.

So lets ignore his wife wages - cleanrs = pin money.

He's took out a mortgage at ~7 times earnings.

You only have to search the London Gazette to see there a lot of pople like him going under.

OK, screwed up on the days - 6 not 7.

Still some back-of-envelope figures:

150K repayment - 25 years @ 6 - I make around 1.5K a month.

Plus another 4 x 120 petrol = £480

So thats 2K a month (24k/year) gone without eating, paying bills.

Basic costs for a family of 4 is at least 1K/month

My mates a jointer in Scabby. He earns 25K in a good year.

The last couple have not been good - sub 20K.

So lets ignore his wife wages - cleanrs = pin money.

He's took out a mortgage at ~7 times earnings.

You only have to search the London Gazette to see there a lot of pople like him going under.

He certainly overstretched himself, QED. One of my rellies is in the building trade, and the amount of fuel he usees is unbelievable, particularly at the moment when there are very few substantial jobs in the country. Pay rates are way down too... not too much above minimum wage, would you believe, so perhaps the pin money becomes material.

Grim stuff.

PS. Scabby! :lol:

He certainly overstretched himself, QED. One of my rellies is in the building trade, and the amount of fuel he usees is unbelievable, particularly at the moment when there are very few substantial jobs in the country. Pay rates are way down too... not too much above minimum wage, would you believe, so perhaps the pin money becomes material.

Grim stuff.

PS. Scabby! :lol:

There was an advertorial in one of the broadsheets showing HPC has passed by seaside homes except for Scarbro'

Didn't explore in detail but one reason (IMO) may be the coastal erosion there.

Other reason is the lack of free parking ANYWHERE. A bit of a problem for a town that relies on tourism - especially in Yorkshire.

We holiday frequently near Scarbro' but never go there because of the parking.

We go to Whitby or Robin Hoods Bay instead where you can still park for nought.

Other reason is the lack of free parking ANYWHERE. A bit of a problem for a town that relies on tourism - especially in Yorkshire.

I'd have thought that most tourists would get parking provided by their hotel, either in an off-road car park or by the hotel providing you with a permit for a roadside space on the streets that have a permit scheme. I have a friend in Scarborough (Granville Square to be precise): there is no residents' parking scheme and I've never had any problem finding a space when I visit. It's about 10 minutes' walk from the town centre and 5 from the seafront.

And even if you do have to pay for a car park, is it enough to deter you from visiting for a day? As a proportion of the overall expenditure for a day I'd be surprised.

We holiday frequently near Scarbro' but never go there because of the parking. We go to Whitby or Robin Hoods Bay instead where you can still park for nought.

I've frequently taken friends and relatives on day trips to Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay, only to find it completely impossible to find a space, either roadside or in a car park, anywhere. Last time we queued for about half an hour to get into the car park behind the Co-Op in Whitby, gave up, went to Robin Hood's Bay, found the same thing and eventually had to park about half an hour's walk from the town centre. I now tend to avoid these places.

Furthermore, Scarborough has a half way decent rail link (albeit a fookin' expensive one), which Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay don't (OK, there is a train to Whitby, but it only goes to Middlesbrough, only runs two or three times a day and takes an hour and a half).

There was an advertorial in one of the broadsheets showing HPC has passed by seaside homes except for Scarbro'

Didn't explore in detail but one reason (IMO) may be the coastal erosion there.

Re the susceptibility of the coast around there to erosion. This is a pic I took of the sea cliffs between Filey and Scarborough - honestly, I felt like walking up to the picnicking family and telling them that the recent landslip that they were almost sitting on and the seriously undercut cliff face was gods way of telling folk not to linger beneath it!

filey_cliff_aug_09_small.jpg