House Price Crash Forum

Have posted this on the regional house prices forum, but was so pleased with the result I thought it was worth posting on the main forum as well.

Now i've always been told that St. Albans is 'special' but it seems to be going down roughly at the national average.

......and look at the volumes down over 60% across the board !!

What are the EA's doing all day now ??

Give this a go for your own postcode......

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...mp;endyear=2009

Have posted this on the regional house prices forum, but was so pleased with the result I thought it was worth posting on the main forum as well.

Now i've always been told that St. Albans is 'special' but it seems to be going down roughly at the national average.

St Albans is special in that it has more unsustainably high prices than anywhere else in the UK. There is no reason for St Albans to hold up, it's houses still need mortgages to fund their purchase like anywhere else. There isn't a special 100% mortgage at 4% fixed for life for St Albans.

St Albans is special in that it has more unsustainably high prices than anywhere else in the UK. There is no reason for St Albans to hold up, it's houses still need mortgages to fund their purchase like anywhere else. There isn't a special 100% mortgage at 4% fixed for life for St Albans.

Exactly, and the same applies to every town and city, every house and flat in the land.

'

Then in the 4th century Roman civilisation began to decline. The last Roman soldiers left Britain in 407AD. St Albans was still going strong when St Germanus visited in 429 AD but soon afterwards the population began to drift away to the countryside. It was probably abandoned in the late 5th century.

Rise, fall, rise, fall.

Even St Albans.....

I've always liked St Albans - it has the feel of a cathedral city somewhere much deeper in the countryside, but is only 20 mins or so from Kings Cross by train. I suspect this is why it is popular. Apparently it's the holy grail for north London meedja luvvies who want 'country' living but still be within easy reach of television centre, Islington etc.

I've always liked St Albans - it has the feel of a cathedral city somewhere much deeper in the countryside, but is only 20 mins or so from Kings Cross by train. I suspect this is why it is popular. Apparently it's the holy grail for north London meedja luvvies who want 'country' living but still be within easy reach of television centre, Islington etc.

I moved my office here 5 years ago. I am a North Londoner but have lived past fifteen years in South Herts , Potters Bar, Hertford and Brookmans Park. I always had a cynical view of St Albans - stupid little town pretending to be a city when it is on the door step of the real one.

I haven't changed my view it is way over rated.

I remember going to look at a new build of a block of flats in St Albans in 1997 and the estate agents had a big graph on the wall of national house prices vs St Albans house prices sine WW2, the graph illustrated that St Albans prices increased steadily even when national house prices fell!

St Albans, where house prices only ever go up!

I thought the north london meedja luvvies had decamped down to Brighton these days :lol: I didn't realise Brighton had a serious rival. What next Tun Wells, Guildford, Forest Row ;)

I'll look forward to the placed articles in the Telegraph/Times/Guardian about how wonderful the arts, restaurants, theatres, artisan shopkeepers are in St.Albans.... :lol:

I moved my office here 5 years ago. I am a North Londoner but have lived past fifteen years in South Herts , Potters Bar, Hertford and Brookmans Park. I always had a cynical view of St Albans - stupid little town pretending to be a city when it is on the door step of the real one.

I haven't changed my view it is way over rated.

When the time is right to buy I am thinking of Cambridge instead of St Albans. For me it's a bigger version of St Albans, a real city, lots of jobs in IT and much cheaper housing. I also believe it's a more relaxed place to live. 4 bed detatched in village just outside cambridge = 1 bed flat (poss small 2 bed), St Albans. I'm sure it'll be roughly the same ratio post-crash too. I like having lots of rooooom! :P

It`s only special when you paid 500K for a 3 bed semi and all your neighbours did this same. Poxy little town with no parking and full of white people thats why its so expensive... like Rickmansworth, Amersham, Harpenden, Chorleywood. Go down the road 6 miles to Luton and prices are 50% cheaper.

I did, and it shows prices are up 6% from the perceived August 2007 peak.... (for a detached house, which is most relevant to me). Which I bet is not what anyone (even I) expected...

More interestingly, if you play with the dates, it shows how prices have risen in the last decade.

I'll pick where I live, KT11 (Cobham, Surrey) and where I grew up BL1 (the millionaire's playground of Monte Boltono)

KT11 - +89% over all properties (2000-2009)

Bolton = 146% for same parameters

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...n=bl1&all=1

I thought that was unfair, picking stockbroker belt la la land with northern mill town, so I chose WA14 (up north, but Bowdon in Alty, so footballer la la land up north).... results were really surprising.... terraced house prices have actually fallen in the last decade (as have flats...), detached houses were not up by anything like you'd think and it was only really the middle market of semis that's shot up (though I accept there will be some large Victorian villas in those semis).

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...=wa14&all=1

so tell me, where are prices going to have to come down most ? The prime areas have not gone up as much, the top areas are not exactly showing up as the worst priced are they..... I feel safer with my KT11 property than I do with my Bolton one, put it that way....

As for volumes dropping off, well, of course they've dropped hugely, what else did you expect in the last year ? I am a bit confused as to whether you'd expect people to be buying in such a volatile economy and lending market ? Or am I missing something ?

Not sure about that, Fleetville and Cottonmill are very popular with 3rd world immigrants.

It`s only special when you paid 500K for a 3 bed semi and all your neighbours did this same. Poxy little town with no parking and full of white people thats why its so expensive... like Rickmansworth, Amersham, Harpenden, Chorleywood. Go down the road 6 miles to Luton and prices are 50% cheaper.

The prime areas have not gone up as much, the top areas are not exactly showing up as the worst priced are they..... I feel safer with my KT11 property than I do with my Bolton one, put it that way....

Is that true or just using your own criteria to fit an opinion? Have you seen the HPI for Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster? I don't want to 'poo-poo' your theory but it seems a little odd to me if you've based it on the above research...

I was with you until the mention of Luton............there are few worse places in the UK.

On St Albans though I agree........having lived in both I can confirm that there are bits of Watford that are much better and that is saying something.

Is that true or just using your own criteria to fit an opinion? Have you seen the HPI for Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster? I don't want to 'poo-poo' your theory but it seems a little odd to me if you've based it on the above research...

I've not, but I'll take a look at it now. Let's compare it with say, Bradford.

SW3 - overall prices up 67% in the decade 2000-2009

Bradford - up 152%......

Ok, let's try to be fair again, let's pick next door to both, Fulham and Leeds

SW6 - 96%

Leeds - 105%

Or let's say Sevenoaks with Newcastle

Sevenoaks - 82%

Newcastle - 113%.

So, let's try picking like with like - say Dorking with a nice little town like Richmond (N Yorks)

Dorking - 68%

Richmond, NY - 130%

So let's pick two shtiholes - Croydon and Wigan

Croydon - 48%

Wigan - 152%

shall I continue (the above were 'first thoughts' and I can honestly say I've not been cherry picking to suit).

I was with you until the mention of Luton............there are few worse places in the UK.

On St Albans though I agree........having lived in both I can confirm that there are bits of Watford that are much better and that is saying something.

Maybe I live in the wrong part but I live in Watford and St Albans seemed to be much better when I was there for a few days. Less chavs is one good benefit of it.

I lived in Watford 20+ years staring in West Watford and finishing in Nascot Wood. I recon Nascot Wood and Cassiobury are miles better then St.Albans. Good schools, best park in England, Whippendell Woods and Grand Union canal.

Now I`d rather live in Luton and have lots of spare cash and spend it on easy women.

I lived in Watford 20+ years staring in West Watford and finishing in Nascot Wood. I recon Nascot Wood and Cassiobury are miles better then St.Albans. Good schools, best park in England, Whippendell Woods and Grand Union canal.

Now I`d rather live in Luton and have lots of spare cash and spend it on easy women.

yes, but when they look like ninja letterboxes, it's a bit of a lottery as to what they look like when you get them in the cot.....

Agree with you on the parking.

.....but what's wrong with white people ??

I happen to be one :angry:

Middle class English people are so paradoxical, they seem so very eager not to betray the slightest hint that they are racist, even going to the other extreme where they say things like ‘it’s so white’ (implying it’s not ‘hip and trendy’/New Labour-ised) yet secretly the vast majority are….

Many a time I was on late night trains back from London and a gang of ‘boys from the hood’ would get on and the middle class commuters would be scared rigid yet no one would admit it.. :lol:

Agree with you on the parking.

.....but what's wrong with white people ??

I happen to be one :angry:

I'm sorry but comments like that really piss me off !!

Had he said "oh it's an awful place too live because it's full of black people" everybody would have jumped all over him, branding him a terrible racist !!

But white people seem to be fair game in their own country, and often by their own countrymen !!

It may not be cool to be white, but it isn't a crime, YET !!

......although i'm sure Gordon will bring in some kind of legislation against it soon.

I'm sorry but comments like that really piss me off !!

Had he said "oh it's an awful place too live because it's full of black people" everybody would have jumped all over him, branding him a terrible racist !!

But white people seem to be fair game in their own country, and often by their own countrymen !!

I think that the point that was being made is that one of the reasons that St Albans is more expensive than it should be is because it is a very white area that some white people will pay a premium for. Nothing about this making it an awful place to live as far as I can see.