House Price Crash Forum

Redundancies - They've Got No Idea.

HOLA441

The amount of people on my facebook friends list, I've 'seen' cheering the fact they've been made redundant and leaving with their pot of cash leaves me utterly speechless.

They just have NO idea at all how bad it is out there, they all think they're going to be back in jobs within 6 weeks. Alot of my mates that 'took the money and run' at Christmas are still sitting on their arses - most with mortgages.

:(

HOLA442

what kind of money are they getting?

(I knew someone got 62k after 5 yrs in a public sector job a year or 2 ago - 18 months salary voluntary redundancy as they didn't want to upset people...)

HOLA443

(I knew someone got 62k after 5 yrs in a public sector job a year or 2 ago - 18 months salary voluntary redundancy as they didn't want to upset people...)

I know 3 people got made redundant in january with 6 figure settlements. All now rehired on the same money since it became apparent the recession wasn't nearly as bad as people first thought.

Laughing all the way to the bank. :lol:

HOLA444

My daughter works flexible hours and I can always tell how bad it is out there by the hours she is given. Hours went up for about the last 3 months, at the moment they have just reduced everyone's hours again.

The other 'barometer' so to speak is her tips. People cut back on the tips first, she says they are dire at the moment. Gone from £1-2 a table last few months to 50p or less recently.

Good job the begger still lives at home.

HOLA445
I know 3 people got made redundant in january with 6 figure settlements. All now rehired on the same money since it became apparent the recession wasn't nearly as bad as people first thought.

Hamish - would that be oil industry jobs?

HOLA446

Your average worker then?

McPrat

HOLA447

Hamish your attention is required here ..

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=118531

Not that I ever believed you have ever owned a property .. but you have to get your lies at least consistent ..

HOLA448

Totally agree.

I have just finished a long term temp contract at a company where they (10 people) are all being made redundant in about six weeks time and they all assume they will just get other jobs quickly. I have been telling them how hard it is out there but they just don't listen. Only one chap who I spoke to (aged late fifties) agreed with me and took the relocation deal. It is two hundred miles from his home and family but he knows he has to do it otherwise he would be out of work until retirement. Two of the people have already spent their redundancy money with one having to have a loan from the company in advance of her redundancy payment. She has spent it on a new car and an exotic holiday for her husbands birthday next year. By next year she may not have the train fare to get her to the airport.

There are still loads of people out there who have no idea that jobs are just not there any more. I signed on with four temp agencies last week and was told that temp work had dried up completely and one agency said they had 40 admin temps who were being laid off from a government contract last Friday so I would be at the end of that queue i.e. don't even bother signing on with us. Other temping friends who have been working for public sector have all been laid off.

A lot of people in 'secure' jobs are going to be in for a real shock. The ones who get redundancy pay are luckier (in the short term) than most.

HOLA449
Totally agree.

I have just finished a long term temp contract at a company where they (10 people) are all being made redundant in about six weeks time and they all assume they will just get other jobs quickly. I have been telling them how hard it is out there but they just don't listen. Only one chap who I spoke to (aged late fifties) agreed with me and took the relocation deal. It is two hundred miles from his home and family but he knows he has to do it otherwise he would be out of work until retirement. Two of the people have already spent their redundancy money with one having to have a loan from the company in advance of her redundancy payment. She has spent it on a new car and an exotic holiday for her husbands birthday next year. By next year she may not have the train fare to get her to the airport.

There are still loads of people out there who have no idea that jobs are just not there any more. I signed on with four temp agencies last week and was told that temp work had dried up completely and one agency said they had 40 admin temps who were being laid off from a government contract last Friday so I would be at the end of that queue i.e. don't even bother signing on with us. Other temping friends who have been working for public sector have all been laid off.

A lot of people in 'secure' jobs are going to be in for a real shock. The ones who get redundancy pay are luckier (in the short term) than most.

Ah, I remember the good old days of 07/08 when many on here were cheering on the crash - thinking they were in safe jobs. We shall see.

HOLA4410

Majority on between £25-35k

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Depends on your payoff really, if you get 18 months payoff you will do ok as long as you get a job back within 2 years which is likely imo.

However if you are getting a months wage as redundancy then you’re a bit stuffed

HOLA4413

What really annoys me with redundancy pay outs is it always the crap people that get to collect them.

When I first gave in my notice, I was offered retention payments to stay, but nothing on the scale of those being made redundant. Blood stupid really, why not give those you sack the statutory minimum and pay more for those you want to retain. Oh sorry I forgot that just wouldn't be the new Labour way.

HOLA4414
that salary or redundancy payoff?

Sorry, Salary and they would have got 2 weeks for every year - and I'd say I've been there longer then most of them at 14 years. It sort of sounds alot, but it ain't really!

HOLA4415

If the pattern repeats, the ones who are made redundant early are often the 'lucky' ones. As things drag on, the pay-offs get less and less generous until you're on the stat min, and the job market is at its nadir. I remember this from the early 90's and then again in the late 90's in the oil industry when oil went to $14 a barrel and we had an industry recession.

I managed the last one badly, as I was a 'valued' employee I didn't get the boot in the first round. Those that did got huge payouts, 6 months outplacement consulting, use of office space for 3 months etc. By the time I got my bad news it was contractual entitlement and nothing else. I guess senior management find it easier and easier to fire as the get used to it.

HOLA4416
What really annoys me with redundancy pay outs is it always the crap people that get to collect them.

When I first gave in my notice, I was offered retention payments to stay, but nothing on the scale of those being made redundant. Blood stupid really, why not give those you sack the statutory minimum and pay more for those you want to retain. Oh sorry I forgot that just wouldn't be the new Labour way.

I'm quite happy to see New Labour disappear forever, but wtf have they got to do with company redundancy policy? companies have been laying off people (often the wrong ones in my experience) for donkeys' years.

HOLA4417
Depends on your payoff really, if you get 18 months payoff you will do ok as long as you get a job back within 2 years which is likely imo.

Exactly

When I took my voluntary redundancy I got six months and then found a new role a month later.

If you are going to leave it is best to go first

HOLA4418
There are still loads of people out there who have no idea that jobs are just not there any more.

I find this thread intriguing. It adds to the gut feeling that the last 6 months of low interest rates, some houses and cars appreciating etc. is a total fool's paradise.

People assuming they will walk into another job is believable though. Its the same sort of mentality that saw folks grabbing crapola flats for £120K 'to get on the ladder'.

Next leg down in house prices and the wider economy will come in the autumn when the 75% of folks with this sort of outlook realise they ain't getting another job anytime soon.

I don't quite agree there are no jobs though. If you have a strong cv with skills in demand and are willing and able to work for half what you used to get there are plenty of employers out there who will be interested.

The question I suppose for many will be how they feel about working harder for less money, getting a bit stressed and lining someone else's pocket?

HOLA4419
I find this thread intriguing. It adds to the gut feeling that the last 6 months of low interest rates, some houses and cars appreciating etc. is a total fool's paradise.

People assuming they will walk into another job is believable though. Its the same sort of mentality that saw folks grabbing crapola flats for £120K 'to get on the ladder'.

Next leg down in house prices and the wider economy will come in the autumn when the 75% of folks with this sort of outlook realise they ain't getting another job anytime soon.

I don't quite agree there are no jobs though. If you have a strong cv with skills in demand and are willing and able to work for half what you used to get there are plenty of employers out there who will be interested.

The question I suppose for many will be how they feel about working harder for less money, getting a bit stressed and lining someone else's pocket?

I can understand the 'get on your bike' Norman Tebbit mentality but, in reality I don't think it'll do you much good. I'm an employer and speak with lots of other employers and nobody is hiring. Any jobs that can't be covered with existing staff see an absolute deluge of applications. I've just had hundreds of applications for a junior buying admin role paying £18k starting. Many, many of them graduates with good degrees. Will just be a pure lottery whoever gets it.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
I can understand the 'get on your bike' Norman Tebbit mentality but, in reality I don't think it'll do you much good. I'm an employer and speak with lots of other employers and nobody is hiring. Any jobs that can't be covered with existing staff see an absolute deluge of applications. I've just had hundreds of applications for a junior buying admin role paying £18k starting. Many, many of them graduates with good degrees. Will just be a pure lottery whoever gets it.

Spot on. I was talking to some outplacement people on Friday, and they were adamant that the traditional polissh your CV check the job ads approach is dea in the water. The only way to get anything half decent is through knowing someone. There's not a lot out there.

HOLA4422

They're offering VR at my place.

90% of your monthly salary, 1 month for each year you've worked there up to a maximum of 15 years.

So for example, someone on £35K who's worked there 5 years will get about £13K.

I've been cheering up the long timers up by telling them they won't be allowed to take VR and will get wiped out with the compulsory redundancy that'll come along later as it'll be cheaper for the company.

Oh, how we laughed......... Not!

Edited by Spot

HOLA4423
The workplace I refer to above is relocating to the Midlands. Two admin jobs advertised there had in excess of 400 applicants. I know, I processed them!

It looks like that must be a rough national average then. We're also seeing about 200 applications per job on average.

Spot on. I was talking to some outplacement people on Friday, and they were adamant that the traditional polissh your CV check the job ads approach is dea in the water. The only way to get anything half decent is through knowing someone. There's not a lot out there.

Networking is the absolute best way to go. Very good idea to talk to other employers / decision makers at things like trade shows and get yourself known as a doer.

HOLA4424
I've been cheering up the long timers up by telling them they won't be allowed to take VR

They should cut a deal - I know a couple of 50something IT guys who in 2006 got turned down as they were up for £80/£100k payouts. The company - an American corporation into computers and science ;) , basically said 'make us an offer'.

Both haggled and settled at 75% of entitlement - one doesn't need to work anymore, the other contracts for a few weeks here and there to pay the bills until the pension cuts in, luvly jubbly, everyone's a winner.

HOLA4425
Networking is the absolute best way to go. Very good idea to talk to other employers / decision makers at things like trade shows and get yourself known as a doer.

Spot on Dude - I've maintained contacts for years and years in organisations local and remote as a kind of 'insurance' (plus I genuinely like these people and think they like me). Bottom line is they know I reliably deliver and will look out for something if I tip them the wink. I would do the same for them.

Its such an obvious, instinctive thing to me. I find it utterly amazing that many folk don't bother to maintain/use their network.