House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
prosto_zabrevi

Calling All Swindonians, Swindonites, Etc Etc

Greetings, I am looking at houses in Swindon. I have been warned in the past about certain areas ( Pinehurst, Penhill) and some have been praised highly (Peatmoor, Grange Park etc)

I have no need to be located anywhere specific as I work from the car as a field engineer but I would appreciate any advice people from Swindon can give me about the districts of the town....whether they are reasonable,should be avoided etc

Some of the areas I have seen suitable houses are:

Covington

Areas around the Greenbridge industrial estate

Dorcan

Freshbrook

Toothill

lots of places with 'Leaze' in the name

Rodbourne Cheney

Cheney Manor

Haydon Wick

Greenmeadow

Your thoughts are appreciated

Thanks

Greetings, I am looking at houses in Swindon. I have been warned in the past about certain areas ( Pinehurst, Penhill) and some have been praised highly (Peatmoor, Grange Park etc)

I have no need to be located anywhere specific as I work from the car as a field engineer but I would appreciate any advice people from Swindon can give me about the districts of the town....whether they are reasonable,should be avoided etc

Some of the areas I have seen suitable houses are:

Covington

Areas around the Greenbridge industrial estate

Dorcan

Freshbrook

Toothill

lots of places with 'Leaze' in the name

Rodbourne Cheney

Cheney Manor

Haydon Wick

Greenmeadow

Your thoughts are appreciated

Thanks

Perhaps not the response you're looking for, but if I worked from the car as you describe I wouldn't consider Swindon itself.

There are lots of nice towns and villages in all directions. Cirencester, Cricklade, Marlborough, Lechlade, Malmesbury etc etc etc. I truly cannot think of one good reason to live in Swindon - it's rough as guts. It's useful for shopping and provides work, that's it.

Perhaps not the response you're looking for, but if I worked from the car as you describe I wouldn't consider Swindon itself.

There are lots of nice towns and villages in all directions. Cirencester, Cricklade, Marlborough, Lechlade, Malmesbury etc etc etc. I truly cannot think of one good reason to live in Swindon - it's rough as guts. It's useful for shopping and provides work, that's it.

An excellent idea...however I married a city girl and despite showing her all the pretty villages around wiltshire (and beyond) I think Swindon is the smallest i can get away with :P She would prefer Brighton but my working from the car does not include minting coins or drugs so that ain't gonna happen. Thanks for the reply though

An excellent idea...however I married a city girl and despite showing her all the pretty villages around wiltshire (and beyond) I think Swindon is the smallest i can get away with :P She would prefer Brighton but my working from the car does not include minting coins or drugs so that ain't gonna happen. Thanks for the reply though

Oh dear, I hope she's not a posh London girl. Sophisticated, it's not.

If there are plenty of kebab shops, pavement pizzas and pubs you need a suit of armour to get a drink in where she's from, then she'll feel right at home.............

Lechlade

I'm the only person on the whole forum who lives in Lechlade (though currently overseas), I hereby claim it as my own district when the revolution comes :P

(I wouldn't really claim it, it's boring as hell, yeah living in a village is great if you feel like travelling 20 minutes to the nearest town!)

Well I guess the area you want to live is strongly dependant on what you can afford.

Looking for a cheap as chips property, with no consideration for schools or kids. Then Freshbrook and Toothill is fine for you.

Looking for something with a bit of suburbs feel, some nice roads, some not so nice. 1940s builds and what i presume are ex-council, Rodbourne Cheney, Eastleaze, Westlea.

And ofcourse the new builds with paster board walls (Yuk), in Priory vale and some areas of grange park.

Oldtown is good if you are looking for your premium properties, but every man and his dog knows that and you'll pay a premium too.

Edited by Toddo

I'm the only person on the whole forum who lives in Lechlade (though currently overseas), I hereby claim it as my own district when the revolution comes :P

(I wouldn't really claim it, it's boring as hell, yeah living in a village is great if you feel like travelling 20 minutes to the nearest town!)

I enjoy reading your post. You give an honest view. I've always lived in villages but about 4 to 5 miles from Swindon. I have tought of Lechlade and it's interesting to read your comments about it. It's very helpful. Thank you

My brother lives in Stratton St Margarets and apart from an ex-copper setting up a brothel opposite (there were queues of men waiting) he seems to think it is ok.

I will not give my opinion of Swindon.

I wont comment on areas they are all much the same, but if you are driving daily I can tell you that getting from J15 onto the M4 is a lot quicker than getting through the huge morning queues at J16, so I'd recommend looking at the east side of town.

I've lived in Malmesbury, Chippenham and Swindon.

Swindon gets a bad rep, but its not as bad as it's made out.

Sure there are nicer places such as Marlborough, Cirencester and surrounding villages, but boy do you have to pay for it to live there.