House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thecrashingisles

British Jobs For Foreign Workers

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/372...d-figures.thtml

As promised, here’s the full story of those immigration statistics that I obtained from the ONS. In our new e-world, I can pass on all the results to you – and they’re worth discussing. The figures show the extent to which Brown’s “boom†was a mirage built not just on debt, but foreign labour. Most seriously, we can see a deep dysfunctionality in the UK labour market. Our system keeps millions on benefits (never less than 5 million have been on some kind of benefits since 1997) while meeting the needs of expanding the economy with a limitless supply of industrious immigrant labour. This means that the direct link between a growing economy and combating poverty is broken – and this is a serious development that demands attention.

The ONS results are here, in a pdf*. The key finding: there are fewer British-born workers in the first quarter of 2009 than Q1 of 1997. The trend of employers preferring immigrants, which we saw during the boom, has become more marked still during the bust.

4_thumbnail.jpg

But if we zoom in on the last eight years, the recession simply exacerbated what had been an existing downwards trend of UK-born workers in employment while number of foreign-born workers in employment has soared.

2_thumbnail.jpg

Without a doubt, immigration has been the largest change of the Labour years – the ratio of immigrant workers has almost doubled in the private sector and the economy overall as the below graph shows. This means the UK’s the overall mix of immigrants is up there with that of America – a change not taken deliberately, or with any debate, but something that happened by accident and which ministers are still struggling to understand.

I count myself as a supporter of immigration. But there is no doubt that mass immigration has given ministers the option of ignoring our own unemployed. If we didn’t have this unending tap of motivated workers then Britain would be forced to confront the fact that so many of its workers are being incentivised to do nothing by the welfare state. Here’s what the benefit tally, including ‘hidden unemployment’, has looked like in the last decade – using the DWP’s definition of out-of-work benefits.

At no point in the boom did the number on out-of-work benefits fall below five million souls. Almost half have been on welfare for five years or more – and are, therefore, statistically more likely to die than to work again. As I say, were it not for immigration, we’d be forced to confront this problem or our economy would not grow. When I was a business journalist in the late 1990s, I remember writing stories about how bus companies were recruiting in homeless shelters because they couldn’t find the staff. The people in those shelters were being offered structure to their lives, from an employer forced by economic conditions to deal with the greater risk they pose. It was a sign of economic growth addressing social problems – as it should be.

But mass immigration has broken this link. It meant Gordon Brown could actually afford to keep so many million on benefits, as tax receipts were being generated by comparative newcomers. It was a lot easier than trying to reform welfare. Scandalously, that’s what Brown did. To my mind, it is the most contemptible failure of his time as Chancellor. He had the money, the economic boom, to sort out the welfare dependency that afflicts so many communities in Britain. But he took the easy, short term route. To use that analogy the Prime Minister is so fond of deploying, he walked on by on the other side. Why get your hands (and poll ratings) dirty with welfare reform when you can rely on immigrants to keep the economy growing and tax receipts flowing? And who wants to end up with disabled people chaining themselves to the railings of parliament, as happened when Blair tried welfare reform? Brown took the easy option. And his short-termism has condemned millions to worklessness and poverty who might otherwise have escaped it.

This matters for Cameron, because he will inherit Brown’s dysfunctional labour market – one distinguished by its striking failure to provide that now-notorious Brown slogan “British jobs for British workersâ€. What if, when the recovery comes, the economy just sucks in more immigrants and the huge surge in dole numbers is never properly reversed?

That’s why immigration matters. You can’t understand the UK labour market, or the pernicious nature of the UK welfare state, without it.

The Brown economic model has spectacularly failed to provide British jobs for British workers – this is yet another one of his empty promises that a Tory government will have to fulfill. But unless the Tories work out how employment, welfare and immigration are interlinked they will be destined to repeat the same scandalous failure of the Brown years.

Edited by thecrashingisles

Do you think voting Tory, lib-dumb or U-SKip will make any difference to this trend??

What can the average British worker do to make sure his kids have a chance at a job and a decent life when they grow up?

Emmigrate?

Where?

Edited by Krackersdave

fingers-in-ears1.jpg

All will be well. Immigrants give us cultural enrichment. They lower the crime rate. They reduce the stress on infrastructure. They increase the quality of life for all. They decrease building on the greenbelt. They ensure our country and economy can become self reliant and sustainable.

The Brits are lazy good for nothing scum. They deserve pain and misery. They deserve to die.

Anyone who disagrees with me is nazi hitler loving scum. They should be spat at, abused, banned from jobs, sent to jail and denied dignity. NAZI NAZI NAZI RACIST RACIST HOMOPHOBE HOMOPHOBE

la la la la

What can the average British worker do to make sure his kids have a chance at a job and a decent life when they grow up?

Emmigrate?

Where?

There is some kind of beautiful cyclic irony in that post.

Good to see the Tories playing the race card as usual.

In what way is the article playing the race card? Mass immigration, enabled to Labour to avoid welfare reform, as lots of new immigrants paid for the native unemployment. Though I'm not entirely convinced of that considering a lot are on low pay, the public sector finances are in a mess, and council front line services are struggling to cope.

Hahaha and these workers are now rightly also entitled to claim from the welfare system

Adding everything up The UK seems absolutely fecked for at least another couple of decades to try to sort this out whilst at the same time dealing with having not 2 pence to rub together in an economic shatstorm. I dont think it will be many years before UK residents start moving to Iceland for a better life lol

That first chart explains to me why I am currently out of work. They've let so many f*ckers in who do the same job as me that it's a wonder I've had any work at all over the last five years.

On the plus side though, I'm now getting rent, council tax and a bit of spending money whilst I sit on my @rse and Gordon flies in foreigners to do my job. All makes perfect sense I'm sure - to the f*cking braindead :rolleyes:

Roll on the revolution - and count me in!

It's a good article, but really it's easy (and enjoyable) to blame Brown, but the British public voted in Labour time and again because they like their politicians to give them the easy option. Otherwise we would have had Michael Howard as Prime Minister.

No, the only way that benefits are going to be cut, the public sector rolled back, the sense of entitlement diminished and immigration curtailed is to have an economic collapse. This is what the public have voted for (or at least voted against preventing) for the last 12 years, and this is what they are going to receive.

fingers-in-ears1.jpg

All will be well. Immigrants give us cultural enrichment. They lower the crime rate. They reduce the stress on infrastructure. They increase the quality of life for all. They decrease building on the greenbelt. They ensure our country and economy can become self reliant and sustainable.

The Brits are lazy good for nothing scum. They deserve pain and misery. They deserve to die.

Anyone who disagrees with me is nazi hitler loving scum. They should be spat at, abused, banned from jobs, sent to jail and denied dignity. NAZI NAZI NAZI RACIST RACIST HOMOPHOBE HOMOPHOBE

la la la la

+1 Good point well made

Big business has the EU in its pocket and has lobbied to allow free movement of labour throughout Europe

and so giving companies access to the cheap labor from the eastern European countries.

What could be offshored was and what couldnt be cheap migrant labor was brought in to do.

This also has the benefit of driving wages and conditions down for the indigenous workers.

The consequence of this is a growing number of people living off welfare, but that is not big businesses concern, that is a problem for the government and all the government has done is pay benefits out of tax receipts.

They can get away with this in a boom but the numbers dont work in a bust as they are just finding out.

So the problem was not caused by Brown as this article suggests, it was caused by global capital.

Brown just went along with it and tried to mitigate the consequences.

Good to see the Tories playing the race card as usual.

This is the sort of nu-labour style response I really despise. You clearly haven't even read the article have you? Here's a couple of choice quotes from it:

industrious immigrant labour
I count myself as a supporter of immigration

If you want to understand why we now have two BNP euro-MPs, you only need to look as far as your own pathetic response to crashingisles post - the second anyone in this country even mentions immigration morons like you pop up and start accusing them of being racist. If you don't agree with the article, which you haven't read anyway, lets hear your arguments as to why not, or does your idea of reasoned argument end with calling people names the moment they suggest something you think you might not agree with?

The interesting thing is since the BNP pounced on Brown's "British Jobs For British Workers" soundbite and made it their own, Labour have disowned the idea... in other words they are basically admitting to the British workforce that they don't believe in the idea that British people should earn a living from job opportunities in their own country, and that those opportunities should be open to Africans, Asians, and everyone else on the planet.

Mr & Mrs British Worker need to bear that in mind when drawing their X on the ballot paper.

The interesting thing is since the BNP pounced on Brown's "British Jobs For British Workers" soundbite and made it their own, Labour have disowned the idea... in other words they are basically admitting to the British workforce that they don't believe in the idea that British people should earn a living from job opportunities in their own country, and that those opportunities should be open to Africans, Asians, and everyone else on the planet.

Mr & Mrs British Worker need to bear that in mind when drawing their X on the ballot paper.

in fact didnt the govt recently tell british graduatess to travel (or p!ss off for a few years in) until it all blows over. Only two problems i see with this is a)why would anyone want to go back with the opportunities elsewhere and b)returning after its blown over would mean the current graduates would be about retirement age by the time they returned

Thats cos Brown didnt mean 'British jobs for British workers'. He meant 'training opportunities for people of all races who may have lost their jobs (limited funds and places available)'. And I honestly think the only thing most people bear in mind when placing their X is 'who have I/my parents/my grandparents voted for all their lives'

This is the sort of nu-labour style response I really despise. You clearly haven't even read the article have you? Here's a couple of choice quotes from it:

If you want to understand why we now have two BNP euro-MPs, you only need to look as far as your own pathetic response to crashingisles post - the second anyone in this country even mentions immigration morons like you pop up and start accusing them of being racist. If you don't agree with the article, which you haven't read anyway, lets hear your arguments as to why not, or does your idea of reasoned argument end with calling people names the moment they suggest something you think you might not agree with?

I agree with all of this. I sincerely hope that the accusations of racism were a joke, if they were serious then that is very sad indeed.

Big business has the EU in its pocket and has lobbied to allow free movement of labour throughout Europe

and so giving companies access to the cheap labor from the eastern European countries.

What could be offshored was and what couldnt be cheap migrant labor was brought in to do.

This also has the benefit of driving wages and conditions down for the indigenous workers.

The consequence of this is a growing number of people living off welfare, but that is not big businesses concern, that is a problem for the government and all the government has done is pay benefits out of tax receipts.

They can get away with this in a boom but the numbers dont work in a bust as they are just finding out.

So the problem was not caused by Brown as this article suggests, it was caused by global capital.

Brown just went along with it and tried to mitigate the consequences.

Best summary of the situation I've seen.

If you want to understand why we now have two BNP euro-MPs, you only need to look as far as your own pathetic response to crashingisles post - the second anyone in this country even mentions immigration morons like you pop up and start accusing them of being racist. ....

You have BNP MEPs because people are racist - you halfwitted moron.

The million or so people who voted BNP have apparently figured this out without the aide of the spectator's charts.

They know they've been f*cked over by 'their' party and they know why. They also know 'their' party don't care - they've been too busy flipping their property portfolios to notice.

It has been sadly predictable and will all end in tears.

The million or so people who voted BNP have apparently figured this out without the aide of the spectator's charts.

They know they've been f*cked over by 'their' party and they know why. They also know 'their' party don't care - they've been too busy flipping their property portfolios to notice.

It has been sadly predictable and will all end in tears.

+1

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Anyone wonder why the average worker has seen their real term income slide dramatically since the 1970's? This is all part of the house of card economy built by new labour. We had a massive credit boom because it was necessitated by fewer and fewer people having much in the way of disposable income as a consequence of downward wage pressure created by immigrant workers. This is all about the transfer of massive wealth into the hands of the few at the expense of the rest of society.