House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Hunt

Renting (how Much To Offer)

I was thinking about buying a couple of months ago but have decided not to. I have now turned my attention to renting. I aim to move come sept so I have started looking already. I have seen a property I like in moira (2 bed townhouse) at £550 per month including rates. This property has been on offer for over a month now. I was looking some advice on what is a realistic price to offer per month?

When we were looking at Harrogate recently, we were told that 10% was routinely coming off the rentals being asked.

Good luck and I hope you find a good 'un.

Town house? You mean a two bed terrace house.

I love the way they call terrace houses townhouses now.

Offer them 400 for it. 450 if your feeling really generous.

When I want to view a property that I have my eye on I always phone the LA listing and ask if there are any available properties within a certain radius because of job/school/friends, making sure the property I want to see is just outside of that radius as the LA is guaranteed to offer that property, which puts you in a great bartering positioning as the LA believes they are trying to sell you something you dont want. I managed to get 15% of my current rental and have never had less than a 10% reduction!! Explain that you must have something within that radius but you are willing to view and make comprimises if you like the look of the place. After viewing tell them the only compromise is a nice big chunk off the rent!! ;)

Edited by Wantbell

Getting a reduction is hit and miss. Several LLs refused to reduce for us by 10% inspite of having properties which were enpty for many months. Owning a house these days is as often an indicator of financial incontinence as it is financial success!

Getting a reduction is hit and miss. Several LLs refused to reduce for us by 10% inspite of having properties which were enpty for many months. Owning a house these days is as often an indicator of financial incontinence as it is financial success!

Yeah, it just depends. Obviously how long it's been on the market is an important factor. The PropertyBee tool is very useful for finding that info out.

Recently we made two rental offers.

• One on an apartment that was on the market for £575 for 12 months. We offered £550 for a 9 month lease. However, they came back and said for a 9 month lease and they would need £600. So we left it. It's still on the market 3 weeks after that offer.

• The second offer was on a house that was put on the market at £625 in May. It was then reduced at the start of June to £600. We went to see it and there were 4 others viewing at the same time, which put us off slightly. It was a good house apart from the bedrooms which were on the small side. However, we didn't initially put in an offer since there were so many viewing we assumed someone else would go for it. But nearly a week later it was still for rent so we put in an offer of £575 for 9 months. The EA didn't sound very hopeful of it getting accepted, but put the offer in anyway. Meanwhile we were looking for other places. I got a phone call back last Monday to say it had been accepted! However, we didn't go for that house as we got somewhere more suitable for the same money!

So it goes to show there is room for negotiation, I think esp if you are going for a 12 month contract. The 9 month contract held us back a little, but we don't want to commit for a full year.

some have yet to learn

half a loaf better than no bread at all

but they will !

rock on!

No it is a townhouse. It's an odd setup it has 2 3 bed townhouses at either side with one of the 3 bed garages below the 2 bed townhouse aswell as its own garage.

Hope that makes sense!

Yes but the DHSS will pay 450 to 550 so thats pretty much the rental ground floor.