House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jonewer

Recording From Tape To Hard Drive Or Cd

You mean audio tape? Technical people would just get the right cables and patch something up for themselves.

You don't sound as if you are a techie so the best option would be to go to Maplins and buy a off-the-shelf solution which will include the right cables to connect you tape deck to your PC's sound card/connectors and may or may not include a software utility to make it easier.

Something like this - although Maplins have a variety of conversion kits

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218128

easiset way is to link the headphone out of a walkman or preferably a decent hifi tape deck to the microphone in socket on a good quality soundcard. Use recording software to capture it - usually get something with the soundcard.

But its probably cheaper and easier all round to just download a decent copy from the intarwebs somewhere...

easiset way is to link the headphone out of a walkman or preferably a decent hifi tape deck to the microphone in socket on a good quality soundcard. Use recording software to capture it - usually get something with the soundcard.

But its probably cheaper and easier all round to just download a decent copy from the intarwebs somewhere...

Yep, that's what I'd do. No quick solution though, as I imagine the tapes have to be played a x1 speed.

No no no....

Microphone in is for very low level signals.

Line in with the volume at about 70% on the player is the way to go.

Audacity to record the input and bish bash bosh.

Thanks. I would just buy a copy of the cd but its quite an obscure album and I havent ever seen it on cd or teh internets

No no no....

So I need a jack-jack connector probably....

I'll be brave, but what software should I use?

No no no....

Yep, you need to condition the signal a to low level before plugging into your PC microphone jack.

What you need is a tape deck with a line out, and the 'Y' cable to go from the L/R RCA type jacks to your 3mm microphone in on the PC.

Most charity shops will have old tape decks with a line out and you wouldn't pay more than a fiver I reckon.

But it will take time, as you will be recording in real time.

Right.

Here's what you need to do:

Get one of these cables:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Connection-Ca...o/dp/B0009V8W6O

Connect the fat plugs to your tape deck, and the thin single plug to 'line in' on your PC.

Download a copy of Audacity from here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Start Audacity, hit record, hit play on your tape deck.

It will take a bit more messing about that that, mainly with making sure than 'line in' is enabled for Audacity to record from, but overall, the above is how to do it.

Seriously though, I'd just buy the CD.

If you use the soundcard that comes with your PC motherboard / laptop you'll get poor quality, they tend to have a lot of background noise. There are relatively cheap "pro-quality" cards out there, check out EMU, now a brand of Creative Labs. I've got fairly high standards, I digitise my tape / vinyl on a quality turntable first through a £800 preamp, and then into an EMU 1616m on my laptop. For software I use Wavelab, there are others and you can find "free" copies in the usual places.

Seriously though, I'd just buy the CD.

I imagine the OP has some personal stuff on tape, maybe their own musical performance or something special like their kids talking, etc...

This question is more common than you think, and unfortunately, a CD is seldom available of your child's first words.

Its actually the soundtrack to the musical "King Kong". Damned if I can find it on cd anywhere. I just found an old tape that my grandfather had. First time in over a decade that I have heard that music....

Guest redwine
Its actually the soundtrack to the musical "King Kong". Damned if I can find it on cd anywhere. I just found an old tape that my grandfather had. First time in over a decade that I have heard that music....

King Kong composed by Max Steiner

You will find it on "classic film themes from Hollywood Masters " on CD issued in 2005

This question is more common than you think, and unfortunately, a CD is seldom available of your child's first words.

Good point. I'll never forget "Daddy buy me iPhone"

King Kong composed by Max Steiner

You will find it on "classic film themes from Hollywood Masters " on CD issued in 2005

Nope. King Kong by Todd Matshikiza. With Miriam Makeba.

In order to take any audio signal source (e.g.s Vinyl, Reel-to-Reel Tape, Tape Cassette, Eight Track) and convert to a digital signal you must first ensure that the PC input and the signal source output are compatible: this means matching critically, impedence and signal level.

Mismatches of either will create huge levels of distortion: and the end result is normally loss of top or bass.

Best way is to use something like this: http://www.ionaudio.com/urecord

Sold in the UK by CPC amongst others.

www.cpc.co.uk

Which is part of the Farnell Components biz.

The U record product comes with the necessary software.

To convert MP3 file format to WAV and thus common audio CD protocols then look here:

http://www.audioamigo.com/articles/edbishop1.html

Hope this assists.

Thanks. I would just buy a copy of the cd but its quite an obscure album and I havent ever seen it on cd or teh internets

This CD?:

King Kong a Jazz Opera CD

Another Link

Google it

Might be enough to track it down.

FWiW - I have just finished shifting a load of old stuff to digital, using a bodged up method based around Audacity - it's a lot of work.

In my 'day job' as a history academic I've done a lot of work with oral history recordings; most of them on acetate on glass and acetate on steel discs, but also some early quarter-inch tape. So my apologies if the following is a bit geeky and detailed.

As other posters have noted, if the material you want to transfer is already available for commercial sale in digital form, then annoying as paying for the same music twice may be, you'll certainly save time and unless you have some seriously high end equipment you'll also get a better result by simply buying a CD or a download. If it isn't, you're into the realm of DIY transferring.

If you're aiming for any sort of quality, then a good playback deck and sound card are important. I use a Revox R77 for quarter-inch, open reel tapes and a Creative Audigy 2 card. As others have noted, you want a line level, not a mic input.

The basic methodology to keep in mind is that you want as good a quality of capture as you can manage, because digital cleanup after capture will never achieve as good a result as a decent capture in the first place. If you're dealing with old and badly stored tapes that have an oxide shedding issue, play them through two or three passes before the capture pass, cleaning the tape heads and pinch roller with a cotton bud and isopropanol (if you can buy any without being investigated by the police! - see the other thread...) after each pass. However, I would set the input level to peak at around -2 to -5db and then software normalise to zero after the capture, to avoid overmodulation and clipping: these artefacts cannot be got rid of digitally really, even using seriously expensive software. I have Adobe Audition 2.0, and even the clip eliminator on this £300 package doesn't do a satisfactory job.

To be honest I have more experience with records than with tapes for this kind of work, but I'd emphasise the importance of (i) not attempting a DIY transfer if you can buy the stuff digitally, unless you have a lot more time than money at your disposal, and (ii) emphasising getting the initial capture right rather than relying on digital cleanup of a flawed capture.

Incidentally, one other thing on mic inputs. If you're transferring coarsegroove 78 records, taking the output directly from a moving magnet cartridge (e.g. Shure M78) into the mic input of a sound card is an effective way of avoiding the RIAA equalisation curve that is built into all but the most insanely expensive phono preamps. The mic preamp gives you enough amplification to at least get a useable signal into your audio editing software.