House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uptherebels

Heatwave

Heatwave guidance

The Department of Health has advised people to keep their homes as cool as possible

Thank god they're there to tell me these things. :rolleyes:

I always thought that if this summer was very hot we would have riots. But I'm not feeling it at the moment :( Do people care enough to even bother?

If it was too hot I wouldnt feel like expending loads of energy rioting, and getting even hotter.

Oh great , more amo for the climate change nut jobs. :lol: and why cant it be hot and sunny? :(

You'd think it had never been 32C before.......whatever next? Snow if February?

I just received a 'How to keep cool in a heatwave' public guidance leaflet through the letterbox. It appears that 'wearing less clothes' and 'staying out of the sun' are the strategies best employed in the face of this disaster scenario. :ph34r:

You'd think it had never been 32C before.......whatever next? Snow if February?

Indeed. I think we've had well into the mod 30C before.

Anyway not much really, I spent a short while in the Desert in Dubai, it got got 50C on the jeep dash, but may have been a few degrees higher.

I just received a 'How to keep cool in a heatwave' public guidance leaflet through the letterbox. It appears that 'wearing less clothes' and 'staying out of the sun' are the strategies best employed in the face of this disaster scenario. :ph34r:

I haven't even had the swine flu one yet. :angry:

Ministry of Defence "Met orrifice" only count the last 30yrs for their computa modelling Climate Change data.

This is the same Office that can't forecast a Hurricane coming before it's blowing tree trunks thru their office windows at 100mph!

This rules out the huge droughts and Heatwaves of the Mid 1970's - they never existed!

I also remember it 'snowing' in June during this period - living in Yorkshire!

I also remember it 'snowing' in June during this period - living in Yorkshire!

Yep me too. Snow stopped play at a Derbyshire cricket match at Buxton, June 1975. After that, it was a beautiful summer though ! The following one was a bit too hot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...oaring-32C.html

The Met Office has issued its first ever heatwave warning as hospitals are put on standby to cope with casualties of Britain's sweltering temperatures.

The Health Protection Agency has begun monitoring cases of heat-related illnesses with temperatures forecast to reach as high as 33C this week.

This means Britain could be placed on the highest level of the Government's Heatwave Plan.

The country is currently on amber level 2, but the Met Office expects it to reach level 3 and possibly level 4 by midweek, a level that denotes a state of emergency.

Met Office forecaster Tim Thorne told the Observer: 'This is the first time we have released a heat warning since we introduced the system a couple of years ago.

'It is designed to allow the NHS to plan for increased admissions and ensure it does not buckle under the strain.'

The warning is unlikely to comes as a surprise for people who struggled to keep cool at Wimbledon, Glastonbury and the Armed Forces Day parade in Kent yesterday.

Not unusually for the All England Tennis club in SW19 there were plenty of umbrellas up, but they were happily just being used as parasols in 28C heat - the highest since the tournament began on Monday.

At Glastonbury, festivalgoers were able to swap wellies for flip-flops after the burst of rain Thursday night and Friday morning, but the vets proudly marching at the Historic Dockyard in Chatham were made to struggle in their uniforms.

Night-time temperatures in London will fall no lower than 19C or 20C (66F) this week making for sleepless, sweaty nights

We just can't win, it's either economic destruction, swine flu or the sun. What's next mass flooding everywhere.

God anyone would think we've never had sun before what did they used to do in past? How did they cope without a level 4?

don't more people die when it gets cold rather than when it gets hot?

32 is a standard summer day here in aus , we've had it get up to around 46 here was the worst i can remember

shocker!

don't more people die when it gets cold rather than when it gets hot?

32 is a standard summer day here in aus , we've had it get up to around 46 here was the worst i can remember

shocker!

Not that many places have back-yard pools and air-con here though :( . You guys are used to the heat. A rapid rate of change makes it hard to cope.

Not that many places have back-yard pools and air-con here though :( . You guys are used to the heat. A rapid rate of change makes it hard to cope.

Every house has a bath/shower capable of delivering cool water though.

Cold winters are much more dangerous as it can be expensive to heat a room for people on the poverty line.

This seems more like AGW propaganda to me.

In Madrid its 33 degrees every day almost from June to September - so why do we need to call a state of emergency just because it might happen on two days.

Oh for f*cks sake I give up; take all the tax money now, just stop making this shit up to justify a gigantic government expenditure.

In Madrid its 33 degrees every day almost from June to September - so why do we need to call a state of emergency just because it might happen on two days.

Because the country is full of government knobsters who have nothing else to do.

My apartment balcony themometer reached 52 degrees celcius just after Songkran this year in the shade, albeit on the sunward side of the building. I still managed to walk to the subway without diverting to the hospital though.

The BBC had a medical person on TV giving UK people helpful advice for a heatwave - such as

1. If you get thirsty drink some water.

2. If you start to get a bit hot in your home then open a window.

3. If you are concerned about intruders coming through an open window then don't open the window so wide.

Who would have thought the people in the UK would have come to this.

Oh for f*cks sake I give up; take all the tax money now, just stop making this shit up to justify a gigantic government expenditure.

+1 it's doing my head in too - how f**king stupid do these NuLieBour hoons think we are ?

The BBC had a medical person on TV giving UK people helpful advice for a heatwave - such as

3. If you are concerned about intruders coming through an open windows then don't open the window so wide.

whats next? advice on how to best take a shit on the toilet?

3. If you are concerned about intruders coming through an open windows then don't open the window so wide.

LOL

Yeah, it's like people have become so domesticated that they have to be treated like pets. And of course, don't forget we need "support" in these events.

Apparantly EHOs are going to be involved and can come and give you a check up on your home to make it more "heat friendly". This is not a piss take, at least this post isn't.