House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NEO72

Anti-ramping Campaign

I'm sure the vast majority of visitors to this site want prices to fall sooner rather than later, and since house prices rely partly on market sentiment can I suggest that as many of you bears as possible add comments to the various ramping articles in the mainstream press.

I'm sure some do already but if everyone posted at least one comment on them each week then they would be even more overwhelmingly bearish and give any potential buyers pause for thought.

I have started doing this myself recently, motivated by the knowledge that one carefully worded argument (and there is plenty of evidence to support them) may put off another buyer and thus contribute in a small way to house prices falling to reasonable levels.

Lets face it, that's what a number of bulls try and do on this site so let's take the battle to them!

I'm sure the vast majority of visitors to this site want prices to fall sooner rather than later, and since house prices rely partly on market sentiment can I suggest that as many of you bears as possible add comments to the various ramping articles in the mainstream press.

I'm sure some do already but if everyone posted at least one comment on them each week then they would be even more overwhelmingly bearish and give any potential buyers pause for thought.

I have started doing this myself recently, motivated by the knowledge that one carefully worded argument (and there is plenty of evidence to support them) may put off another buyer and thus contribute in a small way to house prices falling to reasonable levels.

Lets face it, that's what a number of bulls try and do on this site so let's take the battle to them!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

TOO LATE!!!!!!!

HPC-ers are already responsible for spamming every newspaper board and forum around with endless doom and gloom trolling comments.

Your turn of phrase looks very familiar BTW. I smell a multi-ID troll.....

Good idea keep the entry price down for new buy and hold investors good strategy.

:lol:

Have to admit, if prices did drop by 40% where I live, I'd load up on property like theres no tomorrow. :lol: The yields (already 6% to 8% at peak) would be incredible!!!!

Guest pioneer31

Have to admit, if prices did drop by 40% where I live, I'd load up on property like theres no tomorrow. :lol: The yields (already 6% to 8% at peak) would be incredible!!!!

with money from.....? :rolleyes:

Guest pioneer31

TOO LATE!!!!!!!

HPC-ers are already responsible for spamming every newspaper board and forum around with endless doom and gloom trolling comments.

Well, Rinoa, you'd know all about that! :lol:

And when the government can no longer distort the market with housing benefit payments to private landlords?

And Hamish, after you put all your eggs into the property market at the very peak (hahahahah) where are you going to any money to "load up" on more at a sensible market price?

Sympathy as always, ST

Didn't realise that in addition to property investment, you were also an expert in the field of linguistics....

Didn't realise that in addition to property investment, you were also an expert in the field of linguistics....

There's nothing Tavo doesn't not know about.

There's nothing Tavo doesn't not know about.

Absolutely correct. My not-knowing skills are almost as legendary as my proven ability to buy close to peak in two market cycles.

I am, however, living proof that any idiot will do well from property if they just buy young and hold...... ;)

And when the government can no longer distort the market with housing benefit payments to private landlords?

Not up here, housing benefits don't come close to matching private rents in Aberdeen.

And Hamish, after you put all your eggs into the property market at the very peak (hahahahah) where are you going to any money to "load up" on more at a sensible market price?

Well, technically, I put half my eggs into the property market at the last peak, and half at the peak before that....... But at least those eggs are now mortgage free. ;)

And besides, flats are already cheap here, if they dropped 40% I could pick up a couple in cash, and throw a third on a credit card and pay it off in a year or two. And at the yields they'd get, if they did drop 40% I would.

Sympathy as always, ST

Save it for someone that needs it. Like half the occupants of this website after Tory welfare reform kicks in...... :P

Oh, and cue CCC trolling attempt in 3.......2.........1.........GO

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

I love the old 'If prices drop that much I will dive in headfirst' argument.

Nice in theory - however in reality it appears to be very different.

California, Detroit, Florida, Northern Ireland.

Some areas in these places have seen falls of huge amounts. Still not many savvy buyers firing in though... :rolleyes:

What will happen to mortgage funding in the UK if prices do fall 50% plus ? It is going to be even tighter than it is today.

I am sure there would be plenty of people interested in buying up bargains.

However if they were to have any hope they would require to be SERIOUSLY cash rich.

Wow. Hamish has worked out that when people's username is in italics they are writing a comment. Well done. No flies on that one. :rolleyes:

Have to admit, if prices did drop by 40% where I live, I'd load up on property like theres no tomorrow

Welcome to about 3 years ago when every other pwopertee guru was saying the same

Fast forward to now and, er, none of them can get funding

Silly mongs :lol:

I don't know about an anti-ramping campaign but I would support an enterprise and innovation campaign.

For sure the British public have been blinkered over the last ten years into thinking property was the fast track to lasting riches.

In the early years of the NuLabour govt British television did show an interest in invention but those programmes got washed away by the tsumani of property programmes that even today still dominate the airwaves (admittedly less so).

With 65 million or so brains in the UK, but with very little money, what the country now needs more than ever is to draw on its intellectual capital and encourage those with genuinely good ideas to step forward to fast-tracking them to the global market bringing some much needed funds into the country.

Many ideas never come to light for fear of the idea being stolen. Even if the entrepreneur overcomes this problem there remain another two significant further obstacles: Lack of capital on the entreprenuers part and bureacracy.

Let me give you an example of the bureacracy problem. I have one particular idea (among many dozens of good ideas) that I want to discuss with the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC). I visited their website and - as directed - emailed them to open up a line of correspondence. Two weeks later - no reply. EDF and Uswitch too.

Two weeks ago I thought I'd personally visit their offices. I turned up in Whitehall one sunny morning at around 10am - admittedly without an appointment - in the hope of finding more specific information on who to contact regardng my idea. The reception was empty except for two security guys on the reception desk who apologized saying the phones were down. I said I might have time to come back that afternoon which I did. On entering the reception the second time (about 3pm) their were noticeably more people around including a few reporters. There were now three security guards (the two from the morning plus a new one who was now on the phone).

I spoke to the same security guard again. I was now smiling in the knowledge that the phones were now clearly working, so could he therefore get more specific contact information, a pamplet or best of all someone knowledgeable to speak to?

He then told me that would be very difficult as their was an opening ceremony for the building that afternoon. Knowing that there were reporters in the reception I momentarily considered it, but then realised he was just making up excuses to get rid of me on security grounds. He wasn't rude or threatening in the slighest, if anything he hiding his embarrassment behind his smiles. I then left reception back out onto the street rather disconsolate.

I then noticed a smartly dressed man stood finishing a mobile phone conversation on the steps of DECC and asked him if he worked for DECC which he replied yes. I then probed him for a contact. He gave me his own name and that he was the guy who used to run the very team I needed to speak to. Obviously I was careful not to give the idea away (that has to be done through a formal meeting with DECC staff under the terms of a signed non-disclosure agreement to protect me) .

Later I used the internet to check his name and lo-and-behold it checked out. I immediately sent him an email requesting a line of correspendence and have over the last two weeks had no reply.

As a concerned citizen of the world I am trying to play my part in solving the climate crisis spending value time and money developing ideas in the hope the relevant authorities will evaluate and potentially make use of them.

DECC's general email address is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. DECC's security guards lie to potential solutions providers. DECC's (alleged) staff don't reply to emails sent directly to them. Quite simply ladies and gents if you happen upon ideas for ecological innovation forget it - DECC don't want to know.

Edited by Dave Spart

I don't know about an anti-ramping campaign but I would support an enterprise and innovation campaign.

For sure the British public have been blinkered over the last ten years into thinking property was the fast track to lasting riches.

In the early years of the NuLabour govt British television did show an interest in invention but those programmes got washed away by the tsumani of property programmes that even today still dominate the airwaves (admittedly less so).

With 65 million or so brains in the UK, but with very little money, what the country now needs more than ever to draw on its intellectual capital and encourage those with genuinely good ideas to step forward to bring them to the global market bringing some much needed funds into the country.

Many ideas never come to light for fear of the idea being stolen. Even if the entrepreneur overcomes this problem there remain another two significant further obstacles: Lack of capital on the entreprenuers part and bureacracy.

Let me give you an example of the bureacracy problem. I have one particular idea (among many dozens of good ideas) that I want to discuss with the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC). I visited their website and - as directed - emailed them to open up a line of correspondence. Two weeks later - no reply. EDF and Uswitch too.

Two weeks ago I thought I'd personally visit their offices. I turned up in Whitehall one sunny morning at around 10am - admittedly without an appointment - in the hope of finding more specific information on who to contact regardng my idea. The reception was empty except for two security guys on the reception desk who apologized saying the phones were down. I said I might have time to come back that afternoon which I did. On entering the reception the second time (about 3pm) their were noticeably more people around including a few reporters. There were now three security guards (the two from the morning plus a new one who was now on the phone).

I spoke to the same security guard again. I was now smiling in the knowledge that the phones were now clearly working, so could he therefore get more specific contact information, a pamplet or best of all someone knowledgeable to speak to?

He then told me that would be very difficult as their was an opening ceremony for the building that afternoon. Knowing that there were reporters in the reception I momentarily considered it, but then realised he was just making up excuses to get rid of me on security grounds. He wasn't rude or threatening in the slighest, if anything he hiding his embarrassment behind his smiles. I then left reception back out onto the street rather disconsolate.

I then noticed a smartly dressed man stood finishing a mobile phone conversation on the steps of DECC and asked him if he wreoked for DECC which he replied yes. I then probed him for a contact an he gave me his own name and that he was the guy who used to run the very team I needed to speak to. Obviously I was careful not to give the idea away (that has to be done through a formal meeting with DECC staff under the terms of a signed non-disclosure agreement to protect me) .

Later I used the internet to check his name and lo-and-behold it checked out. I immediately sent him an email requesting a line of correspendence and have over the last two weeks had no reply.

As a concerned citizen of the world I am trying to play my part in solving the climate crisis spending value time and money developing ideas in the hope the relevant authorities will evaluate and potentially make use of them.

DECC's general email address is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. DECC's security guards lie to potential solutions providers. DECC's (alleged) staff don't reply to emails sent directly to them. Quite simply ladies and gents if you happen upon ideas for ecological innovation forget it - DECC don't want to know.

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe your ideas are not good afterall ? :ph34r:

As for the problems in getting the right contact - happens everywhere from public to private sector. A disgrace considering the technology and information we have these days.

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe your ideas are not good afterall ? :ph34r:

They never even got to see the idea to evaluate it - that's my point. They were blinded by their own bureaucracy.

New money spinning ideas should be being fast tracked by the British Govt, their addiction to property causes inertia to innovation.

If you'd like to save the world, press one; if you'd like to apprehend a supervillain press two . . .

Maybe I'll take it to, say, Germany.

Edited by Dave Spart

They never even got to see the idea to evaluate it - that's my point. They were blinded by their own bureaucracy.

New money spinning ideas should be being fast tracked by the British Govt, their addiction to property causes inertia to innovation.

Maybe I'll take it to, say, Germany.

Fair enough. That is pretty shoddy. Germany is one place I like. Things just seem to work. Things arrive on time. They leave on time. They cost what they should. I like that.