House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

China May Block Deal To Buy Hummer

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6586527.ece

The Chinese authorities are likely to veto a bid for General Motors's Hummer business by a Chinese machinery company, putting 3,000 US jobs at risk.

Chinese state radio reported that the National Development and Reform Commission was unlikely to approve a bid by Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Corporation for the maker of the gas-guzzling vehicles.

The radio station said that the commission was expected to decide that Hummer was at odds with China's conservation goals and that Tengzhong, which makes industrial vehicles such as cement mixers, lacked the right experience to run a retail car maker.

Tengzhong has signed a memorandum of understanding with GM to buy Hummer but the deal must be approved by the commission before it can go ahead.

China recent cut sales tax on cars with smaller engines and has pushed car makers to produce energy-efficient vehicles.

Tengzhong said today: "Some people may have views and speculation but the Chinese government has a process that we respect ... We will continue to engage with the appropriate authorities in an appropriate manner."

The deal with Tengzhong saved 3,000 jobs in the US. GM, which filed for bankruptcy on June 1, had decided that Hummer was not a core brand.

A small number of imported Hummers are already sold in China by entrepreneuers. Chinese buyers call the cars Han Ma, which means Bold Horse.

I bet Tengzhong respect the process they don't want to end up in jail.

Looks like no one wants the gas guzzling car, I was surprised that anyone even considered buying the Hummer brand the vehicle makes no sense.

Looks like no one wants the gas guzzling car, I was surprised that anyone even considered buying the Hummer brand the vehicle makes no sense.

I agree entirely, but 99% of all these aspirational wannabes in unstable child-killing 4x4's don't make sense either. The clever marketing people have convinced the public (or some of them) that the outward wealthy appearance of landowners in Range Rovers of a few years ago is an accessible image that you too can have from the comfort of your slave-box.

There's a RR Sport HSE parked outside a terraced house near me, and the nobhead who owns it almost completely blocks the pavement for pedestrians and frequently gets his mirrors pushed out the way because he's too selfish to even press the button and fold them in.

Shite sells to the insecure and thick who believe the hype and the b.s. Hummer can sell to mugs all over the world, especially where fuel is cheap.

TFH

since when did china care about the environment?

i remember their greenhouse emission rose 8% back in 2007

A delicious irony of China using environmental reasons not to buy Hummer :blink:

Why buy Hummer, the Chinese can let it go pop, copy it cheaply and set up a factory in China making it. Apart from the brand name, Hummer have nothing. Old technology, old manufacturing techniques. They just got lucky with Arnie and a few rappers buying them and pimping them up in the noughties.

fergie_hummer.jpg

Edit - got my decades mixed up!

Edited by 3 Men In A Boat

Hummers are about the most environmentally friendly vehicles money can buy. They use about 20 times the amount of fuel as a typical chinese 2-stroke, but only 4.5 times the emissions.

Sure theyll deplete the earths resources quickly, but theyll do it in a cleaner way, if only by stopping other people using the fuel!

Hummers are about the most environmentally friendly vehicles money can buy. They use about 20 times the amount of fuel as a typical chinese 2-stroke, but only 4.5 times the emissions.

Sure theyll deplete the earths resources quickly, but theyll do it in a cleaner way, if only by stopping other people using the fuel!

Like your thinking :D