House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Business Couple Will Live In Caravan And Rent Out House

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/chester-...59067-23969099/

A STRUGGLING business couple are planning to live in a caravan at the end of their garden and rent out their house to beat the credit crunch.

Rachel Lowe and her husband hope to ride out the recession by living in the caravan while renting out rooms in their detached Green Belt home to keep their heads above water and save themselves from repossession.

Chester West and Chester Council rejected a planning application which would have allowed the couple to live in the 11m by 4m abode for the next three years because there were no ‘very special circumstances’.

But Mrs Lowe told a planning board meeting in Winsford on Tuesday they would continue to use part of the house on a daily basis and it was decided permission was not necessary.

Mrs Lowe told planners the government was encouraging people to do what they can to prevent properties being repossessed.

The couple have tried and failed to sell their house and cannot afford to keep the mobile home, which is already in place in the garden at Newlyn on Parkgate Road, Saughall, on its original site in North Wales.

"The building industry has been hit hard by the recession," said Mrs Lowe, who owns renovation business, Teal Estates Ltd.

"We are trying to keep our heads above water and need to rent out rooms and live in the caravan.

"Eventually we want to return the caravan to North Wales and enjoy our holidays there.

"It will not be there forever. It will see us through difficult times."

Despite there being no objections from neighbours, Saughall and Shotwick Park Parish Council objected to the application saying it would be an inappropriate development in the Green Belt that would set a harmful precedent.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Sounds sensible to me. Why lose their main asset when they can hold onto it by making it pay. I reckon they'll do OK with this fighting spirit & positive attitude

Yeah cos that's bound to pay the mortgage! 9 times out of 10 once repossession is on the horizon it's a slippery slope with no return, they're just delaying the inevitable.

When I read what you wrote JackDee's 'Kendal Mint Cake' piece came to mind :lol:

Despite there being no objections from neighbours, Saughall and Shotwick Park Parish Council objected to the application saying it would be an inappropriate development in the Green Belt that would set a harmful precedent.

that's just off the fcking scale. were the council worried this might harm the postcard industry?

Parish councils are a hornets nest of busybodies and curtain twitchers. They're also a good example of why too much local governance is not a good thing.

There used to be a burger van in a layby near me but the parish council had it removed. They said it was encouraging lorries to stop which were clogging up the layby so cars couldn't use it. I mean, WTF laybys are there for lorries to stop who have to do so, for breaks, by law and whose drivers are working.

renting out the rooms in their house? Yes I guess so, at least a portion of it

Usually when 'repossession' enters the equation it's not just about the mortgage. I'd bet a week's wages that he's upto his eyeballs in other commitments as well.

"We are trying to keep our heads above water"

An admission that they're drowning. Well I guess he must've swallowed too much salt water and it's clouding his thinking.

Out at sea yet desperately clinging onto a rucksack of bullion. Bullion made of fools gold!

His 'renovation business' Teal Estates Ltd. is very unlikely to pick up anytime soon. The game's up. In that situation the smart thing is to bail early before it worsens and he becomes yet another statistic.

Erm, I am I just being thick or what ?

But why don't the people in question just rent out their house and live in the caravan in it's previous hols location ?

Then they could just have a nice cup of tea and sit and wait the recession out :wacko::blink:

Usually when 'repossession' enters the equation it's not just about the mortgage. I'd bet a week's wages that he's upto his eyeballs in other commitments as well.

"We are trying to keep our heads above water"

An admission that they're drowning. Well I guess he must've swallowed too much salt water and it's clouding his thinking.

Out at sea yet desperately clinging onto a rucksack of bullion. Bullion made of fools gold!

His 'renovation business' Teal Estates Ltd. is very unlikely to pick up anytime soon. The game's up. In that situation the smart thing is to bail early before it worsens and he becomes yet another statistic.

How do you mean bail early?

I cant help thinking it kinda defeats the object of having a house.

+1. Gotta agree with that. But "owning" property is more important to some people than breathing oxygen. I'm just putting a moot point up to see if anyone reacts to it.

I think the planning people were more concerned about setting a precedent that planning applications for caravans on Green Belt land were now acceptable.

The Green Belt needs constant protection from erosion. There may have been a wider implication somehow for the rest of the Green Belt.

EDIT:Spelleng

Edited by Driver

I think the planning people were more concerned about setting a precedent that planning applications for caravans on Green Belt land were now acceptable.

The Green Belt needs constant protection from erosion. There may have been a wider implication somehow for the rest of the Green Belt.

EDIT:Spelleng

You mean if they lived in it for X years they would eventually be able claim permission to build there.. and then every bugger would start doing it?

Their request must have broken a rule that protected the wider green belt in some way, without details of the full reasons for rejection it's difficult to know exactly what precedent the council was worried about setting.

I think most of us agree that living in a caravan in your back garden normally should not be a concern of a council (putting aside overcrowding issues) (and assuming of course that there are no restrictive covenants that also prevent a "House on wheels" or other dwelling being placed on that land)

Erm, I am I just being thick or what ?

But why don't the people in question just rent out their house and live in the caravan in it's previous hols location ?

Then they could just have a nice cup of tea and sit and wait the recession out :wacko::blink:

Because they would have to pay money to the caravan site owner. Also, they presumably earn some money near to home and need to be near there to be able to continue working.

I thought that if you rented out your property - the mortgage compnany will charge you a premium each month thereby making their monthly mortgage commitment even higher ??

Time to walk away in my book ....

I thought that if you rented out your property - the mortgage compnany will charge you a premium each month thereby making their monthly mortgage commitment even higher ??

Time to walk away in my book ....

Probably, but you recon they will inform the mortgage company? It will probably open up a whole new can of worms when the mortgage company go to repo and find a bunch of tenants there.

Probably, but you recon they will inform the mortgage company? It will probably open up a whole new can of worms when the mortgage company go to repo and find a bunch of tenants there.

You are probably right ... but all the costs will be added to the eventual Judgment or they will have to spend the next 12 years hiding from the bank .... at some point people just have to realise its over ... and think about their future and how not to prejudice it. The deeper the hole you dig, the longer it will take ...

So you're saying that if I get into property, I get to live the dream by living like a pikey, while other people live in my house?

This is being played out up and down the country right now by thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of involuntary landlords.

Chuckle.

If they are in this situation already, then they stand little chance of surviving the next few years when the recession starts in earnest. As Kenny Rogers sang in the Gambler, "you gotta know when to hold them , and when to fold em."

Being bloody minded sometimes leads to even bigger problems, the divorce is going to be messy to say the least, who gets to keep the debt?