House Price Crash Forum
David HH

Twickenham House Prices

Anyone have any recent experience of house hunting in TW1?

I have been looking for a 2/3 bed house for a few months, and my experience is most property seems to be priced at 2006 (some even 2007) levels. However, the decent stuff seems to be in short supply and go under offer pretty quickly. Conversely, some less desirable property has been on the market for ages and has got brickor mortis..

Is this another example of shortage of supply of good stock, rather than sound economics, nudging prices ups?

Any opinions are welcome.

Regards,

David

Any opinions are welcome.

Regards,

David

I've been looking at Twickers for some time. I'd say prices for houses around 10%-15% but been a pick-up in the last couple of months (I know someone in Twickers who put their 3-bedder up at £640k a year ago with a view to buying a larger house at £810k but they got cold feet; they have now put their house up again at £570k with a view to paying £700k-odd for the same house) . A few comedy 2007+ prices but they seem to stick on the market. Would agree that a lot of tired stock. I'd suggest waiting until later in the year - more stock appears to be coming on now that sellers think buyer's market is over and I suspect stock won't sell come end of July as schools will be out and buying season over until the autumn - time for cheeky offers come Winter I'd say.

Any particular area/streets you're interested in?

Any particular area/streets you're interested in?

I am looking in a 1/2 mile or so radius of Twickenham station, as I want to use the fast train to get into London. Looking for a house as opposed to a flat. I have come to the conclusion that I will not get much change out of 400K for this.

My unscientific analysis of the Twickenham market is there are buyers out there, many whom I believe are getting help from their parents, who have realised their savings are neither safe, nor earning much interest stuck in the bank. This coupled with shortage of good stock is nudging prices up, and amazingly is giving some sellers the idea the market is moving their way. This is unsustainable and like you I think come later in the year the market will dip again as the cash dries up. Fingers crossed it does anyway.

Were are you looking yourself?

I am looking in a 1/2 mile or so radius of Twickenham station, as I want to use the fast train to get into London. Looking for a house as opposed to a flat. I have come to the conclusion that I will not get much change out of 400K for this.

My unscientific analysis of the Twickenham market is there are buyers out there, many whom I believe are getting help from their parents, who have realised their savings are neither safe, nor earning much interest stuck in the bank. This coupled with shortage of good stock is nudging prices up, and amazingly is giving some sellers the idea the market is moving their way. This is unsustainable and like you I think come later in the year the market will dip again as the cash dries up. Fingers crossed it does anyway.

Were are you looking yourself?

You'd be surprised - talking to a pal today at a barbecue who lives in the TW1 area in a nice 4-bed (loft extension) who is looking to remortgage. House recently valued by the bank's surveyor at £400k (selling at £550k+ in 2007)! Asking prices still too high but sounds like banks and surveyors are getting it.

I'm looking more around Twickenham Green/Strawberry Hill, perhaps Teddington. Still ridiculous prices at £700k-£1m for 4-bed semis with decent gardens and off-street parking. About 10% down from peak. I'm expecting to buy in at around £600k, hopefully £500k. I am not in a hurry and expect that certain sellers will be in a year or two - I can wait. ;)