House Price Crash Forum

'a Place In The Sun' Wiped Out!

Laura

Guest AuntJess
My wife and I very much appreciate progressive serious music: thus much enjoy Mahler: and of course Shostakovich, Prokofiev et al.

I also much appreciate Katachurian.

Went to a local concert a few years back of Bruch's Violin Concerto (No. 1 in G minor, Op. 26) played by a young Swiss violinist, as guest soloist of the local (Excellent) symphonic orchestra.

She was totally brilliant.

If one seeks it out, then there is much excellent music; whilst being engulfed in "Noise"!

When we're in France being in the country, then I also tend to "Turn the wick up"!

The cows don't seem to mind.

:lol:

Cheers Laura and Prescience. Nice to hear other folk's tastes in music. I am a fan of fairly popular classics - the romantics, like Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov. I mainly like opera, having been trained as a classical soprano in my youth, and apart from Puccini - who ALways gets me - one of my favourites is the finale of Faust with an incomparable trio: Gheorghiu, Alana, and Terfel. Sublime. Sadly youtube doesn't have it anymore :(

My OH is a great fan of Prokofiev and Shostakovich...well he was.

Guest redwine
ha ha ha I've heard folk get called a Nazi on this forum before, but not due to their taste in music.

Are you f*cking stupid or blind go and stick your head up Neil Youngs backside

Guest AuntJess
ha ha ha I've heard folk get called a Nazi on this forum before, but not due to their taste in music.

He is probably the same guy who on another forum called me a racist... 'cos I said I couldn't stand rap. :rolleyes:

We ought to really be concerned about the kind of creature who is being churned out by today's PC education programmes. They lack the ability to reason and think, they are only taught knee-jerk responses to certain words - then off they go, chanting their little mantras.

Only capable of serial thought processing, they can't deal with two concepts together at the same time. :(

When challenged they get vulgarly abusive, as they are totally incapable of argument or serious debate.

Best thing - Put him on ignore.

Guest redwine
He is probably the same guy who on another forum called me a racist... 'cos I said I couldn't stand rap. :rolleyes:

We ought to really be concerned about the kind of creature who is being churned out by today's PC education programmes. They lack the ability to reason and think, they are only taught knee-jerk responses to certain words - then off they go, chanting their little mantras.

Only capable of serial thought processing, they can't deal with two concepts together at the same time. :(

When challenged they get vulgarly abusive, as they are totally incapable of argument or serious debate.

Best thing - Put him on ignore.

It is not me that called you a you a racist on another forum as rap music does not interest me

PC education i do not know what that means as is i left england over 17 years ago but i do know what a ex -nazi hymme song is as it was used in the film "Das Boot" or U Boat 571

My apologlies i should not of posted or got involved in old second world war nazi songs

It is not me that called you a you a racist on another forum as rap music does not interest me

PC education i do not know what that means as is i left england over 17 years ago but i do know what a ex -nazi hymme song is as it was used in the film "Das Boot" or U Boat 571

My apologlies i should not of posted or got involved in old second world war nazi songs

Apologies indeed, red Wine.

Don't know what your brain was doing but just for the record, Lili Marlene was of course in origin, World War One: the Nazis at that time were not even a glimmer in Corporal Hitler's eye.

The words were written in 1915 during World War I by Hans Leip (1893-1983), a school teacher from Hamburg who had been conscripted into the Imperial German Army.

The music was scored by Norbert Arnold Wilhelm Richard Schultze.

Gustav Mahler, however, was Ashkinasi Jewish by birth: hardly the stuff of Reich purity!

Interestingly, Goebbels Reich Minister for Propoganda tried to ban Lili Marlene!

The song was adopted by Allied troops also: which is probably why Marlene Dietrich recorded it.........................

By 1939, of course, she was a US citizen.

Oh dear

redwine

"Das Lied von der Erde" - The Song of the Earth.

It's based on ancient Chinese poetry.

My fault. If I had given the full title (instead of the oft used abbreviation) you could have Googled before goofing, so my apologies to you.

But you were in context, talking about Gustav Mahler!

And in any case, as with so much, the Nazis as with so many highjacked earlier works and bent them to their own use. As I pointed out with Lili Marlene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_the_Third_Reich

No different to ad agencies taking wonderful music and performance by dead singers and abusing them for selling rubbish products.

That said, this side diversion of the thread provides for me, a truly excellent example of how the perjorative terms such as "Racist: "Nazi"; Anti-Semetic": and "Homophobe", have become the instant retort of those programmed not to think too much!

Which of course was the tactic of, well actually the Nazis; co-ordinated in this case by Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda Herr Dr Joseph Goebbels.

And the tactic was perpetuated by Honecher's pretence of a Communist government in GDR: aided and abetted by his Stasi.

& a big surge in his album sales .... so more debt, & why not?

I could go into 'why not', but is the world worth saving? - Ah but didn't the lad do that on his own one year. I only know because some Brit pop person objected publicly. .... can't remember his name, just the incident.

Never mind, I settled down with one of my own 'albums' (I don't like that term either). My choice was the 1959 recording of the great Czech conductor Raphael Kubelik with that equally great set of Britain's top musicians collectively known as the RPO performing Schubert's 9th symphony. It was (& is) heaven, one of the gramophones greatest achievements. Highly recommended, if you find a copy on CD.

I'm deemed 'off-topic' (correctly for a change) so why not talk about real genius?

Talking of genius, we are getting a lot of Mendelssohn on the radio this year.

I think I'm ok now,

until the next mention of the J word <_<

EDIT:- I see that 'it' is now pinned to the top of this forum. _________________________________________________ .........

Agreed. I find I am less and less interested in anything other than classical music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of early music such as Dowland etc and trying to reproduce it by ear on the piano. It's like anything really - once you've had a really good wine it's hard to go back to cheap plonk. Some very few pop songs are good, but most just seems hysterical three-chord rubbish heavily packaged to appeal to whatever ridiculous 'tribe' people feel they have to belong to. I can understand teenagers being like this, but the post 1968 generation seems never to have grown out of it.

Agreed. I find I am less and less interested in anything other than classical music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of early music such as Dowland etc and trying to reproduce it by ear on the piano. It's like anything really - once you've had a really good wine it's hard to go back to cheap plonk. Some very few pop songs are good, but most just seems hysterical three-chord rubbish heavily packaged to appeal to whatever ridiculous 'tribe' people feel they have to belong to. I can understand teenagers being like this, but the post 1968 generation seems never to have grown out of it.

+1

Totally agree.

Researching, analysing, musing quite a bit about this presently for an item I happen to be writing, I have reached the inescapable realisation, that great swathes of both the UK and US populations are wrapped in a sort of time warp of arrested development.

Your analogy to good wine is apposite and one I frequently employ.

For me, the secret of most cultural areas is learning more and more about them in order to thus appreciate the nuances and subtleties more and more: and this is a continuous process: not a One Shot Deal.

Guest redwine
Oh dear

redwine

"Das Lied von der Erde" - The Song of the Earth.

It's based on ancient Chinese poetry.

My fault. If I had given the full title (instead of the oft used abbreviation) you could have Googled before goofing, so my apologies to you.

My fault not yours sorry for being so agressive

I somehow mixed up Das lied with Lane Anderson who sang Lily Marlen which was used by "les services de progande de 111e reich "

Next time i will google in english not in french

Guest redwine
Your analogy to good wine is apposite and one I frequently employ.

Une bouteille de Cheval Blanc grand cru 1998 classés A Bordeaux

Wish that i had kept my mouth shut mixing up a 1915 poem taken up by Lale Anderson in 1938 to create the chanson "Lily Marlen" which was used by the nazi propoganda machine our favorite song

Lily Marlen - Panzergrenadier Divison

Sorry and i wish that the letters on my keyboard would stop sticking :(

Bon soir mon amis, vin rouge !

I would forget it now.

All over and Laura has most magnanimously even tried to blame herself.

We all have different tastes in music and arts: c'est la vie !

I'm off to la belle and our French home on Friday: and looking forward to the odd BBQ if the weather holds up and also some of my reserve wine which I have been cellaring.

À bientôt !

Guest redwine
Bon soir mon amis, vin rouge !

I'm off to la belle and our French home on Friday: and looking forward to the odd BBQ if the weather holds up and also some of my reserve wine which I have been cellaring.

À bientôt !

It is hot here too hot enjoy your BBQ they sell nice merquez in Aldi half the price of carrefour and even nicer but do not cook them to much nothing worse than a burnt merguez

It is hot here too hot enjoy your BBQ they sell nice merquez in Aldi half the price of carrefour and even nicer but do not cook them to much nothing worse than a burnt merguez

I will look for that.

Many thanks.

Now off to check long range forecast on Meteo.fr

I also much appreciate Katachurian.

I hope the late John Culshaw has picked that one up on the airwaves!

His, sadly unfinished, autobiography contains the tale of the recordings Decca made with Katachurian.

Two discs were issued, 'Spartacus' & I think, a symphony?

Both commercial flops for years until as JC put it "some genius at the BBC" chose their recording for that boat soap the 'Onedin Line' & the losses were rapidly recouped.....but no-one could be persuaded to try the other disc!

It suprises me that folk would buy a full-price LP for just a 3 minute piece.

Decca scored another hit with 'Family at War' & their re-issue of their old 50s mono recording of Vaughan-Williams 6th.

This had a bold sticker proclaiming:- "Contains the theme from Family At War".

This was true, it did, all two minutes of it & nothing else that would instantly appeal; repel more like, masterpiece though it is.

Mom arrives back from Sainsburys & puts this record on expecting wonderful music.

I wonder how many survived to the end of the first movement when the music they had hoped for finally arrives; then vanishes, for good.

Culshaw's book also had a great story about George Szell.

Noted for his meanness to all, especially the Cleveland Orchestra of course, George had contributed to a celebrity cook book.

Culshaw challenged him saying this was out of character. Szell replied that it wasn't at all as he had missed out a main ingredient!

I think my age is showing through here, sorry :(

Ah like Reader's Digest Condensed Books, Laura.

And worse, a couple of LPs they sold titled something thoroughly naff like "Golden Classics"!

I well remember a dear friend saying to me "I'll play you this! You will like it!"

It was all the "Good bits" from various symphonies etc.

Such as the opening movement from Greig's Piano Concerto...................

How many people would have bought ANY Ravel before Torville and Dean parodied George Raft's 1940s Bolero sequence?

And how many football fans - all too often the epitomy of chavdom - would have bought operatic tenors, before Luciano Pavarotti?

I also note my appalling spelling of Aram Khachturian's name............. :unsure:

Have a feeling that his music will be "Discovered" in a few years time. Who knows.

I obviously have strange tastes! Like Berlioz and Saint-Saëns, too.

Ah like Reader's Digest Condensed Books, Laura.

And worse, a couple of LPs they sold titled something thoroughly naff like "Golden Classics"!

I well remember a dear friend saying to me "I'll play you this! You will like it!"

I also note my appalling spelling of Aram Khachturian's name............. :unsure:

Have a feeling that his music will be "Discovered" in a few years time. Who knows.

I obviously have strange tastes! Like Berlioz and Saint-Saëns, too.

Good performances of 'Bleeding chunks' as an intro to this almost limitless world I think you would agree can be labelled 'good'; but maybe they should then be taken away from people & redistributed elsewhere? :)

Berlioz? - Yes please. The Crespin/Ansermet Nuits d'ete ? + many more; & I am still to explore much of his output

Saint-Saens. I still love the 2nd piano concerto. It's just so outrageous for its time. Written in a week or so I believe. He booked the hall & orchestra for the first performance before he had written it; sickening!

For me, Carl Nielsen 3rd & 4th symphonies. The problem is the performance, esp. No3, so difficult to get right. The Danish RSO usually do

provided the conductor doesn't get in the way!

Strange taste?

Gerald Finzi? - Clarinet concerto (the Naxos CD is superb). Dies Natalis is his masterpiece.

Vaughan-Williams? - Just about all. -- 3rd symphony a requiem like no other.

I could go on all night......... Prokofiev's string writing. - Elgar 2nd symphony, the last Boult recording. - Pollini playing late Beethoven sonatas. - Have you heard Harnoncourt's Bruckner 9?

& here I am trying to keep my finances intact because of a bunch of criminals who ................. sorry.

Bon courage?

I think I'll change the threads sub title to 'music dept.'; or should we stop now?

Archived