House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Should I Buy A Car

Guest skullingtonjoe

Sigh...gotta (1)Vent my misery (2)Get your opinions.

(1) I visited a friend today, and it was very refreshing and enjoyable to have a chat with him about life, the world etc etc. Left feeling quite happy, and got on the bus to go home. However, I had the misfortune of a couple of `people` sitting down behind me one stop after I got on (this is Portsmouth btw). Couple were a bit drunk (at 1.30pm), obviosuly had `issues` and were arguing. Yes, you guessed it - the dispute spilled over to my seat: the fu<king woman kept digging her knees into the back of my seat and shoving me around. I figured that if I turned round and asked her to stop I`d get a mouthful of abuse (a reasonable assumption given the nature of the average Portsmouth resident). I braced my arm against the window next to my seat and pushed back into my seat. The old skank then started getting loud: `I`ve gotta move, he`s shoving; I`m going to give him a fu<king slap` etc....I laughed at them as they moved to the back of the bus (the bloke felt it was better for them to move rather than have it kick off). But I did not feel good at all.

I`m tired of using the bus, though. This isn`t the first time I`ve witnessed such foolishness, but it`s the first time I`ve been involved in an `incident`. I wasn`t happy. The worst thing is if she slapped me and I - in response - punched her in the face, the police would nick me! FFS Portsmouth is full of dossers (oops, sorry I meant `victims` of substance abuse), and it`s getting to the point where getting on a bus is like flipping a coin in terms of personal safety. I just want to get on the fu<king bus and go from `a` to `b` in relative peace and safety. Is that too much to ask?!:(:unsure:

(2) Should I get a car - it would be more expensive, but would probably save me grief.

Or maybe I should just go `back to basics` and walk: it`s free, healthy and means I don`t have to share a bus with drunks, chavs and so on (although I still have to share Portsmouth with them). :huh::rolleyes:<_<

What do you guys think?

Guest absolutezero
Sigh...gotta (1)Vent my misery (2)Get your opinions.

(1) I visited a friend today, and it was very refreshing and enjoyable to have a chat with him about life, the world etc etc. Left feeling quite happy, and got on the bus to go home. However, I had the misfortune of a couple of `people` sitting down behind me one stop after I got on (this is Portsmouth btw). Couple were a bit drunk (at 1.30pm), obviosuly had `issues` and were arguing. Yes, you guessed it - the dispute spilled over to my seat: the fu<king woman kept digging her knees into the back of my seat and shoving me around. I figured that if I turned round and asked her to stop I`d get a mouthful of abuse (a reasonable assumption given the nature of the average Portsmouth resident). I braced my arm against the window next to my seat and pushed back into my seat. The old skank then started getting loud: `I`ve gotta move, he`s shoving; I`m going to give him a fu<king slap` etc....I laughed at them as they moved to the back of the bus (the bloke felt it was better for them to move rather than have it kick off). But I did not feel good at all.

I`m tired of using the bus, though. This isn`t the first time I`ve witnessed such foolishness, but it`s the first time I`ve been involved in an `incident`. I wasn`t happy. The worst thing is if she slapped me and I - in response - punched her in the face, the police would nick me! FFS Portsmouth is full of dossers (oops, sorry I meant `victims` of substance abuse), and it`s getting to the point where getting on a bus is like flipping a coin in terms of personal safety. I just want to get on the fu<king bus and go from `a` to `b` in relative peace and safety. Is that too much to ask?!:(:unsure:

(2) Should I get a car - it would be more expensive, but would probably save me grief.

Or maybe I should just go `back to basics` and walk: it`s free, healthy and means I don`t have to share a bus with drunks, chavs and so on (although I still have to share Portsmouth with them). :huh::rolleyes:<_<

What do you guys think?

Car. Every time. Without question.

Why? Not having to share space with the great unwashed and avoiding situations like yours today.

I recommend the BMW 750iL V12 E38. You might get 20 to the gallon on a good day and it comes complete with a chav-kneecapping height front bonnet.

Don't settle for anything less.

And show no mercy.

TFH

Guest Parry

Yes.

Go to the auctions.

Get a small cheap diesel, like a Peugeot 105/106. For about £700-£1000.

Guest redwine
Yes.

Go to the auctions.

Get a small cheap diesel, like a Peugeot 105/106. For about £700-£1000.

The 106 is a good cheap second hand car the problem with this thread is that it does not take into account the people that do not have access to "public transport"

Many places do not have buses or the tube so you have to buy two cars you have no choice

The 106 is a good cheap second hand car the problem with this thread is that it does not take into account the people that do not have access to "public transport"

Many places do not have buses or the tube so you have to buy two cars you have no choice

Dude are you on mushrooms? Why two cars?

Am I being thick?

TFH

Guest Parry

Yep!

Over here the bus service is incredible!

Baht buses, basically pick-up trucks with a rook and bench seats (never be allowed in the UK, safety), I can go for about 20 miles for 35p.

Then the buses interlinking cities. Millions of them. VIP bus from BKK to my place is £9.50, air con, fully reclining seats, toilet, amazingly comfortable . . . 500km!

When I was rich I used to take taxis and jets, now it's buses. Wish I'd always done it.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Yep!

Over here the bus service is incredible!

Baht buses, basically pick-up trucks with a rook and bench seats (never be allowed in the UK, safety), I can go for about 20 miles for 35p.

Then the buses interlinking cities. Millions of them. VIP bus from BKK to my place is £9.50, air con, fully reclining seats, toilet, amazingly comfortable . . . 500km!

When I was rich I used to take taxis and jets, now it's buses. Wish I'd always done it.

I have travelled many countries in the world (India, Japan, Peru, most of Eastern Europe). I have to say: the behaviour of people on public transport here is perhaps the worst I have seen.

For that reason it`s a car or walking from here on in. ;)

Am I being thick?

TFH

Bangeromics?....

Perhaps 'redwine' is making a valid point here...old and cheap cars can indeed be great value, but in places where public transport isn't up to much best have another old and cheap car in reserve just in case...still makes lotsa sense.

I've been involved in two incidents that have resulted in my being physically threatened on public transport, one of them at knifepoint. As a result, if I'm at anything after work social now (I live 26 miles from work), I'd much rather forego drinking than have to use public transport. Interestingly, my colleagues tend to accuse me of prudishness and Salvation Army-type tendencies at the start of the evening, but towards the end of it start to want to be my friend again when it comes to the issue of getting home. You'd be amazed how many people will fit in a Fiesta when needs must...

Guest skullingtonjoe
I've been involved in two incidents that have resulted in my being physically threatened on public transport, one of them at knifepoint. As a result, if I'm at anything after work social now (I live 26 miles from work), I'd much rather forego drinking than have to use public transport. Interestingly, my colleagues tend to accuse me of prudishness and Salvation Army-type tendencies at the start of the evening, but towards the end of it start to want to be my friend again when it comes to the issue of getting home. You'd be amazed how many people will fit in a Fiesta when needs must...

Understood. Sorry to hear about such badness happening to you. :(

I`ve just had a gutful of these damn hippies whining about the `planet being doomed` and how we must all get on public transport (these are the same sort of people who`ll lick the backsides of these poor `ickle `victims of substance abuse`.) Don`t misunderstand me - I think that alcohol is a very destructive and highly-addictive substance that can ruin lives if misued; my only issue is that if someone wants to fu<k themselves up, or act in a fu<ked-up way then please leave me out of it.

If the planet`s doomed that`s not my fault! I just want to live my life peacefully and I now know why they`ve started putting plastic screens up for the drivers on buses. I`m just sick and tired of not knowing if I`m going to have some wacko sitting near me.

The worst thing is that on the two occasions I went for a self-defence angle on things it was me who ended up being held, charged with assault etc just because I lost my temper! As usual these days, the victim is the last person who gets taken into account! :angry:

Motor Trader here I come! About time I chucked some more CO2 into the atmosphere! :o:rolleyes::lol::P

Guest Parry
I have travelled many countries in the world (India, Japan, Peru, most of Eastern Europe). I have to say: the behaviour of people on public transport here is perhaps the worst I have seen.

For that reason it`s a car or walking from here on in. ;)

Can't say I blame you. I have a car here, a pick-up, but for long distance now I use the buses.

Go for something small and diesel. French are the best, really cheap 2nd hand, cheap to run, insure etc and some of the best diesel engines. Just get it well serviced once you've bought it.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Can't say I blame you. I have a car here, a pick-up, but for long distance now I use the buses.

Go for something small and diesel. French are the best, really cheap 2nd hand, cheap to run, insure etc and some of the best diesel engines. Just get it well serviced once you've bought it.

Long-distance isn`t so bad as National Express coach drivers tend to have a `no-nonsense` attitude (and are often quite big, shaven-headed guys!)

It`s the whole `Portsmouth` thing that makes taking a bus here so damn risky!

Anyway, I`ll be looking into all avenues re. vehicles (with a view to cheapest running costs and a sound engine - body condition unimportant!) ;)

Guest Parry
Long-distance isn`t so bad as National Express coach drivers tend to have a `no-nonsense` attitude (and are often quite big, shaven-headed guys!)

It`s the whole `Portsmouth` thing that makes taking a bus here so damn risky!

Anyway, I`ll be looking into all avenues re. vehicles (with a view to cheapest running costs and a sound engine - body condition unimportant!) ;)

Something like this, Joe. But AutoTrader expensive, go to the auctions. I did 6 years ago, bought a 1997 Xantia TD for £800, 61k FSH, 1 owner, never had it go wrong, did 40k+ a year in it until late last year. Got £300 for it.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/c...rch_full=SEARCH

Am I being thick?

TFH

One for each foot. Obviously.

Guest redwine

Am I being thick?

TFH

I start work at 4am my wife starts work at 8 am where i live there are no buses to take you to work at 3 .30 am so i need to have a second car

OMG! This is what happened to me today:

I get on the train and sit down on an empty seat next to a young bloke who is squirming around. Ends up verbally abusing me for 'not saying excuse me can I sit down'. I walk away.

Looks like the only thing to do in these situations is put distance between you and wierdos, druggies, etc. These people are looking for confrontation. Don't give them any reason to start aggression. Do not make eye contact.

This country is fooked.

I am a really placid, mild-mannered person. I actually like taking the train, but this is the last straw. I haven't had any probs with people being agressive to me for years and now in the last couple of months I've been confronted by frankly deranged people three times. Before the train incident today it was a woman driving fast in a car with whom I made eye contact (I was walking). To my knowledge I made no strange facial expressions - this is early in the morning - 8am. She stops car, gets out and says 'what is your problem?' rpting this over and over and starts following me down the street.

Jesus, these incidents were both in quiet 'middleclass' areas.

Is this due to falling house prices?

I agree that situations like this on buses aren't very nice, but I'll tentatively suggest that the danger may be imagined rather than real. You seldom hear of innocent victims being attacked on buses, let alone killed (although it may happen). In contrast, the dangers posed by switching to the apparent safety of a car are considerable: in the UK, well over 1,000 car occupants are killed every year and many thousands suffer serious injury or permanent disablement as the result of crashes.

Edit. I'll add that most of the buses here in Edinburgh have about 7 or 8 video cameras filming the passengers all the time. If you go upstairs where the dodgy people invariably hang out then many of the buses even have a monitor at the front which continually switches between the views from the various cameras, presumably to make the yobs aware that they're being filmed. It's all very 1984, and I suspect that it just makes the passengers feel uncomfortable by hinting that the buses are so dangerous that everyone's every move has to be continuously recorded. I've no idea whether it's had any effect on passenger safety at all.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Portsmouth is not big and pretty flat...?

imgguvnor20.jpg

A good idea but:

1. A nice bike like that would be nicked within minutes (unless you welded it to a lamp-post).

2. Cyclists make good targets for `boy racers` :(

Ha this thread reminds me of being back at uni on a bus in Birmingham. A 'steaming' gang made their way through the top-deck accosting each passenger with threats along the lines of 'give us your money or we cut you'. Fortunately I got the runt of the pack; when he asked me for my money I calmly explained that I was a student and wasn't going to give him what little money I had. Cue long uncomfortable silence. In the end, we both saved face as he warned me - in a menacing manner - not to tell his mates that he'd failed quite spectacularly and promptly left to join his 'crew'.

What I lack in brawn or technical fighting ability I more than make up for with pig-headedness and an evident need for death wishes.

Back to the OP, if you're that fed-up with it then go ahead buy a second-hand car. Unfortunately, public transport (much like public libraries) tends to attract the worst elements that society can offer.

Edit: I'm in my early 30s and have yet to so much as take a lesson. Fvck freedom and pollutants; give me two-score of social misfits in a cramped and hot environment please.

Guest skullingtonjoe
OMG! This is what happened to me today:

I get on the train and sit down on an empty seat next to a young bloke who is squirming around. Ends up verbally abusing me for 'not saying excuse me can I sit down'. I walk away.

Looks like the only thing to do in these situations is put distance between you and wierdos, druggies, etc. These people are looking for confrontation. Don't give them any reason to start aggression. Do not make eye contact.

This country is fooked.

I am a really placid, mild-mannered person. I actually like taking the train, but this is the last straw. I haven't had any probs with people being agressive to me for years and now in the last couple of months I've been confronted by frankly deranged people three times. Before the train incident today it was a woman driving fast in a car with whom I made eye contact (I was walking). To my knowledge I made no strange facial expressions - this is early in the morning - 8am. She stops car, gets out and says 'what is your problem?' rpting this over and over and starts following me down the street.

Jesus, these incidents were both in quiet 'middleclass' areas.

Is this due to falling house prices?

More likely: due to falling IQ. With every generation the gene pool quality diminshes (but tails off at around this point)! :o:blink::(:lol::rolleyes:

Guest skullingtonjoe
I agree that situations like this on buses aren't very nice, but I'll tentatively suggest that the danger may be imagined rather than real. You seldom hear of innocent victims being attacked on buses, let alone killed (although it may happen). In contrast, the dangers posed by switching to the apparent safety of a car are considerable: in the UK, well over 1,000 car occupants are killed every year and many thousands suffer serious injury or permanent disablement as the result of crashes.

I understand the point. It was just so damn unpleasant and that kind of abuse is unwarranted. Sounds very `fogeyish` of me, but today is pushing it to the point where I don`t ever want to board a bus - in Portsmouth - again! :( :angry: