House Price Crash Forum

Qantas Cancels 50% Of Dreamliner Order

R K

The technology and procedures for flying two engined aircraft over long over water sectors is now well established. Modern engines are now so reliable that for many sectors 2 engines is a better choice. The 777-300ER burns 20% less fuel at the same payload/range as a 747-400 and has much cheaper maintenance and engineering costs. The longest range airliner in the world - 777-200LR - is two engined and it's been flown HKG-LHR the long way round non-stop over the Pacific AND Atlantic - 22,000km.

That is all very well in B&W on the drawing board. In reality, 35,000 feet up over an ocean?

I note that you talk about the fuel efficiency of 2 versus 4 engines - that is NOT the point is it!

Guest sillybear2
Surely Quantas have woken up to the fact that long-haul players need 4 engine aircraft and not 2 engines?

Under modern ETOPS rules you can safely cover most of the global landmass in twin engined jets.

Right, so the fact it's 2 years behind schedule, overweight from day one, additionally being strengthened/bulked up and also having orders dropped is a load of b0llocks too. How many times have Boeing changed the specs, and not in a good way? Why does nobody want the initial batches, given they've promised they'll get things right after the first couple of dozen? :rolleyes:

They've had 58 cancellations out of 866 ordered. Given the state of the global economy in general and the airline business in particular that's a pretty good record. It's not true to say "nobody" wants it.

Guest sillybear2
They've had 58 cancellations out of 866 ordered. Given the state of the global economy in general and the airline business in particular that's a pretty good record. It's not true to say "nobody" wants it.

That's not what I said, I said nobody wants the initial batches.

The technology and procedures for flying two engined aircraft over long over water sectors is now well established. Modern engines are now so reliable that for many sectors 2 engines is a better choice. The 777-300ER burns 20% less fuel at the same payload/range as a 747-400 and has much cheaper maintenance and engineering costs. The longest range airliner in the world - 777-200LR - is two engined and it's been flown HKG-LHR the long way round non-stop over the Pacific AND Atlantic - 22,000km.

You clearly know what you are talking about. So much so that you presume we all know which airports HKG and LHR are. I'd have a wild stab at Hong Kong and London Heathrow.

Am i right? :rolleyes:

Do you honestly believe there will be nearly 500 Dreamliners flying around in 18 months?

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/...very-slots.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/...-shortfall.html

No, but I never said there would be and took care to point out that not all of the 2010 orders would be filled.

You said "nobody" wants the initial batches. I pointed out that there are 479 orders for the first year of production so clearly lots of customers do want the first aircraft off the production line.

You clearly know what you are talking about. So much so that you presume we all know which airports HKG and LHR are. I'd have a wild stab at Hong Kong and London Heathrow.

Am i right? :rolleyes:

Yes. It was a 23 hour flight from Hong Kong to London the long way. When they got to Heathrow ATC put it in a holding pattern for 20 minutes...

Guest sillybear2
No, but I never said there would be and took care to point out that not all of the 2010 orders would be filled.

You said "nobody" wants the initial batches. I pointed out that there are 479 orders for the first year of production so clearly lots of customers do want the first aircraft off the production line.

Nobody wants the initial two dozen planes because of the weight issues, others are waiting beyond that, hence the cancellations and deferred orders. How many of the 479 do you think will be flying 18 months from now given that we haven't even seen the first test flight?