House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Using A Metal Detector On The Beach Or In The Park

if i were to buy a metal detector and go combing the beaches or parks for lost stuff, isnt it a criminal offence of theft by finding? i've never seen anyone arrested doing it though, but i am right, right?

so how come it goes on, and would i be covered by some get out clause if i took this up as a pastime?

Doubt it would be theft if you find a coin or 2.

I took mine to a beach at Amble, found a few victorian pennies.Fot a laugh i buried a 2 pound coin for the bairn to find, then couldn't find it!

That was the hardest week of his young life, i can tell you.

if i were to buy a metal detector and go combing the beaches or parks for lost stuff, isnt it a criminal offence of theft by finding? i've never seen anyone arrested doing it though, but i am right, right?

so how come it goes on, and would i be covered by some get out clause if i took this up as a pastime?

A quick look on google indicates that you need to ask the landowner, or the local council in the case of public land, for permission as you would expect.

Doubt it would be theft if you find a coin or 2.

I took mine to a beach at Amble, found a few victorian pennies.Fot a laugh i buried a 2 pound coin for the bairn to find, then couldn't find it!

That was the hardest week of his young life, i can tell you.

i think i have read somewhere low value coins are disregarded but anything else is t-b-f if not handed in to give the loser a chance to reclaim it

A quick look on google indicates that you need to ask the landowner, or the local council in the case of public land, for permission as you would expect.

the treasure hunter metal detector mobs i see all have a note from the council before descending on their land then, interesting

I've been thinking about getting one for a while.

You need to get the permission of the landowner and agree with him how any finds are to be dealt with.

If you find stuff like gold it comes within the remit of the Treasure Act (I think it's called) and whether you can keep it depends upon whether it was originally lost, abandoned or intentionally hidden (again, I think). If you aren't allowed to keep it then you get compensated.

Certain places you can't go near with a detector, like scheduled Ancient Monuments.

I used to do it - anything below half-tide isn't classed as the beach - but then you have to watch for bait-digging prohibitions etc!

Never got challenged though - and here's a tip: Go really slowly and keep the detector low - you see lots of people on the beach swinging them a foot off the ground when their range is only a foot - found a nice ring once following in another detectorists footsteps!

Better than the beaches are busy picnic sites / river banks, where people go sledging in the winter, stiles, and campsites for modern coinage you can spend - the pound coins are usually black after a while in the ground but machines accept them!

Do find lots of older stuff too - I found a Seal from 1250, a macehead and lots of silver coins going back to Queen Anne! Fascinating!

I used to do it - anything below half-tide isn't classed as the beach - but then you have to watch for bait-digging prohibitions etc!

Never got challenged though - and here's a tip: Go really slowly and keep the detector low - you see lots of people on the beach swinging them a foot off the ground when their range is only a foot - found a nice ring once following in another detectorists footsteps!

Better than the beaches are busy picnic sites / river banks, where people go sledging in the winter, stiles, and campsites for modern coinage you can spend - the pound coins are usually black after a while in the ground but machines accept them!

Do find lots of older stuff too - I found a Seal from 1250, a macehead and lots of silver coins going back to Queen Anne! Fascinating!

What kind of income can one make through doing this, say 8 hours a day, 5 days a week?

I never realised seals lived that long.

afaik, any PMs you find have to be handed in to the local coroner for an inquest. If it isn't treasure trove it's then yours but if it is then it gets offered to the British Museum. If they don't want it it's yours and if they do you get reimbursed its value. So you are not gaining anything by hiding it from the coroner but could lose the lot if you don't. That happened some years ago with a loads of sovereigns found in an old house, the honest guys did really well out of it and the others got nothing.

It can be a very addictive hobby though. I knew a guy that got into proper treasure hunting and he spent loads of time in various libraries all over the country looking up past finds and trying to work out where else they would have hidden part of their horde.

Keep an oldish coin in your pocket and just do what you want if anyone says "I just saw you find something" then pull out the old farthing and say it was this :)

afaik, any PMs you find have to be handed in to the local coroner for an inquest. If it isn't treasure trove it's then yours but if it is then it gets offered to the British Museum. If they don't want it it's yours and if they do you get reimbursed its value. So you are not gaining anything by hiding it from the coroner but could lose the lot if you don't. That happened some years ago with a loads of sovereigns found in an old house, the honest guys did really well out of it and the others got nothing.

There was a woman on the news last night who'd been at it for 15 years, in fields in Hertfordshire. She recently found a tiny gold engraved thing (Mediaeval?) which was going to go to the British Museum, only they couldn't find the £4K it was supposed to be worth. So she took it to Sotheby's, who have valued it at a minimum of £250K, and very likely a lot more.

I've been thinking about getting one for a while.

You need to get the permission of the landowner and agree with him how any finds are to be dealt with.

If you find stuff like gold it comes within the remit of the Treasure Act (I think it's called) and whether you can keep it depends upon whether it was originally lost, abandoned or intentionally hidden (again, I think). If you aren't allowed to keep it then you get compensated.

Certain places you can't go near with a detector, like scheduled Ancient Monuments.

let me get this straight - if i find something more valuable than a few pound coins i have to take it to the police or a coroner? if the owner doesnt claim it as lost property, or coroner or museum dont want it i can keep it and sell it? if they do keep it they pay me some money from a menu pricing system rather than what it may fetch in auction? or do they just keep it and say ta very much, here's a Werthers Original and keyring, now s0d off ?

thx for this tip, and well done with those finds, pretty amazing just to find them, did you get money from the authorities when you handed the coins in?

There was a woman on the news last night who'd been at it for 15 years, in fields in Hertfordshire. She recently found a tiny gold engraved thing (Mediaeval?) which was going to go to the British Museum, only they couldn't find the £4K it was supposed to be worth. So she took it to Sotheby's, who have valued it at a minimum of £250K, and very likely a lot more.

you see i'm surprised they dont say 'its public property, we dont have to give you £4K, but thanks and here's 20p for some batteries for your next hunt.'

also, i need to get written permission before combing a farmers field, public beach, local park, 'wasteland' etc?

There was a pub with a bit of a raised garden in front and we used to try and be the first there on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The drunks would fall onto it and shed coins.

It's ages since I was into the hobby and the laws might have changed but the main gist iirc is simply to make sure that no bits of history goes unaccounted for. The law isn't intended to rob you although experts can often be wrong on their valuations. The short answer is that you should never be worse off by playing it straight.

I forget exactly which metals define possible treasure trove but it does have to be something that was put there with the intention of being recovered later. I doubt there's any treasure trove on the beach with the exception of geordieskins £2 coin and that's the wrong metal I guess.

I always hated history at school but the treasure hunting mags have a way of bringing it to life. If you pick up a few mags they should bring you up to speed.

Why not try outside any pub/club or minicab office on a Friday or Saturday night? Bound to be lots of pound coins lying around.

i used to live 3 mins walk from a big pub and a few doors from that another and then 2 minicab offices. i used to go jogging daily at 5 to 6am. never found more than 10p. i once found a wallet outside entrance to a park which i hand delivered back to the owner, didnt even get a thank you, mind.

There was a pub with a bit of a raised garden in front and we used to try and be the first there on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The drunks would fall onto it and shed coins.

It's ages since I was into the hobby and the laws might have changed but the main gist iirc is simply to make sure that no bits of history goes unaccounted for. The law isn't intended to rob you although experts can often be wrong on their valuations. The short answer is that you should never be worse off by playing it straight.

I forget exactly which metals define possible treasure trove but it does have to be something that was put there with the intention of being recovered later. I doubt there's any treasure trove on the beach with the exception of geordieskins £2 coin and that's the wrong metal I guess.

I always hated history at school but the treasure hunting mags have a way of bringing it to life. If you pick up a few mags they should bring you up to speed.

thx, though i still need to know...

1/ do i need council permission in writing to go detecting in their park, their beach, 'wasteland', and farmers' permission to detect beyond or on the paths by fields? Are there any fields i dont need permission? i'm guessing not

2/ if i find something more valuable than a few pound coins i have to take it to the police or a coroner? if the owner doesnt claim it as lost property, or coroner or museum dont want it i can keep it and sell it?

3/ if the coroner/museum/'the state' do keep it they pay me some money from a menu pricing system rather than what it may fetch in auction?

4/ lastly, do you get detector mafioso gangs come and thump you if you detect on 'their patch' ? will i get bundled into a limo to see mr big by a couple of goons? :lol:

let me get this straight - if i find something more valuable than a few pound coins i have to take it to the police or a coroner? if the owner doesnt claim it as lost property, or coroner or museum dont want it i can keep it and sell it? if they do keep it they pay me some money from a menu pricing system rather than what it may fetch in auction? or do they just keep it and say ta very much, here's a Werthers Original and keyring, now s0d off ?

thx for this tip, and well done with those finds, pretty amazing just to find them, did you get money from the authorities when you handed the coins in?

you see i'm surprised they dont say 'its public property, we dont have to give you �4K, but thanks and here's 20p for some batteries for your next hunt.'

also, i need to get written permission before combing a farmers field, public beach, local park, 'wasteland' etc?

I think it only applies to gold or other things made of precious metals. Read the treasure Act. Other than that it's just common sense. would you expect people to come onto your land and start digging sh1t up and taking away what they found?

I'd love to go to our local beach, dig a 4ft hole and bury a metal plate with the words "Get a Life!" engraved on it.

:lol:

Having had a look at the options, including a good review on eBay (advises avoiding some machines for which extravagant claims are made, possibly by a firm in Germany, not sure on that) i came upon this site http://www.ncmd.co.uk/introduction.htm

and seems to me you've s0d all chance of detecting on any land without a load of hassle and probably a good chance of a free trip into town in the back of a big white van with bright colours on it wearing some interesting metal round your wrist

i dont think you're allowed on the foreshore/beach either without express consent

otherwise the whole world would be digging up old cans of pepsi max and £2 earrings from Accessorize

think about it.

you're limited to your own land/back garden and probably even then have to report what you find in case it's the State's.

hmm see also http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/ukpga_19960024_en_1

anyone advise differently to my conclusions - pls post, oh and just one more thing...

GET OFF MY LAND!

bang!

I'd love to go to our local beach, dig a 4ft hole and bury a metal plate with the words "Get a Life!" engraved on it.

:lol:

Reminds me of a Michael Jackson story oddly enough.

On Saturday 21 August 1993 the police obtained a search warrant for Neverland. They found little of any use to their case, but were excited by the discovery of a large, "walk in" safe.

After several hours they managed to get into it. Inside was a single black briefcase. Inside this was a single piece of paper. On it was written the combination of the safe.