House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Timm

Portillo On This Week

I think we are going to go into such an economic crunch that the [next?] Government will have to start shredding [entire] programs.

To put it in context, he was talking about the replacement for Trident - whether we want to retain a full independent nuclear capability, but went on to talk about Osbourne's anticipated weekend of the long knives.

To put it in context, he was talking about the replacement for Trident - whether we want to retain a full independent nuclear capability, but went on to talk about Osbourne's anticipated weekend of the long knives.

Osbourne? Tory Eton boy who was on a boat?

It is yet to start in Wales.

messing around with or diminishing our capability to pack a punch if required is playing with fire.

certainly we should not be attempting to set the whole world to rights,but it is imperitive that we retain an effective domestic fighting capability,which includes the ability to respond disproportionately and deciseively if we are assailed.

Peace has made us complacent.

messing around with or diminishing our capability to pack a punch if required is playing with fire.

certainly we should not be attempting to set the whole world to rights,but it is imperitive that we retain an effective domestic fighting capability,which includes the ability to respond disproportionately and deciseively if we are assailed.

That's what Saddam said

Hang on a minute - no it isn't

It's what Blair claimed of Saddam - a lie as it turns out - in order to launch a disproportionate illegal war against Iraq.

The Germans and Japanese were prevented from developing a strong military capability after WWII. They went on to some degree of economic success and wealth. Maybe we deserve the same

Trident - independent? Don't make me laugh!

I reckon we should auction it on eBay.

Who can afford it? China or Saudi, maybe? But China has their own already, and would Saudi dare provoke Israel with what is still a toy relative to the latter's military?

Hmmm ...

Maybe it'll just have to be sold off to private industry. Virgin Nukes? EasyNukes? Tesco Value Range? Buy One Get One Free?

Never used to like Portilo buut since he has been on newsweek he seems quite solid.

Never used to like Portilo buut since he has been on newsweek he seems quite solid.

Used to terrify me when he was a polician, but he's grown on me a lot. I especially liked his expression of horror at the Anti-depressant/can't work/wont work culture on sink estates.

I admire the way he has candidly gone out of his way to learn learn and learn some more about his and the general tory defeat at the 96 general election.

Guest KingCharles1st

Yep- Portillo is the brightest of the lot. I despised him years ago, but talk about sage now.

If we carry on at this rate all the govt will be able to do is collect tax to pay the interest off and provide no services.

indeed -a decade of austerity - but do remeber the public sector client state will stil be claiming their cash etc for the rest of their lives. scum.

Who can afford it? China or Saudi, maybe? But China has their own already, and would Saudi dare provoke Israel with what is still a toy relative to the latter's military?

Hmmm ...

Maybe it'll just have to be sold off to private industry. Virgin Nukes? EasyNukes? Tesco Value Range? Buy One Get One Free?

I'm with Ken MacLeod on this one...

We should offer Trident for hire on a time-share basis to the world community of nuclear 'have-nots'. In times of tension, states could contact the Royal Navy and bid competitively to secure first firing rights on a missile upon which they have been paying a small retainer. Time-share deterrence, as it were.

For a small fee (payable on easy terms), even the smallest, most technologically backward state can have access to and all the benefits of sophisticated cold-war proven mutually-assured-destruction nuclear deterrence technology. Border disputes instantly become a thing of the past all over the world. Superpowers must think again before riding roughshod over the sovereignty of weaker states. Regional bully-boy states suddenly become much less bellicose as the target of their bullying becomes a very different prospect after one easy phone call. World peace ensues.

No untidy proliferation of fissile material and the UK holding the balance of world power. Brilliant!

:)

Edited by The McGlashan

We can't / won't do anything without the Yanks say so, and they've got all they need anyway, so why waste such a huge amount of our ever diminishing wealth.

Norway / Sweden / Spain etc etc don't have 'independent' nuclear deterrents, and they haven't been assailed in a while...

"Punching above our weight" is just another post Empire hangover. Get over it.

?? :blink:

What peace?

There has never been and never will be any such thing as "Armed Forces on the cheap". Gordon Brown should do the following :

To build & develop 20 nuclear power plants in the UK.

To build & develop 75 tidal power station

10 geothermal power stations

Replace the existing 88 ships in the royal navy to

30 super capacity aircraft carries.

50 Tident nuclear/tactical subermarines.

National service from 16-18 years olds in exchange for free college/unversity education.

Nationalise LDV and produce hydrogen based fuel cell based cars.

Give tax incentives to petrol stations to start stocking hydrogen at the pumps.

Scrap the pension age of 65 altogether. Instead you can retire when you want, based on you national insurance contributions and private provisions

Develop new weapons and technology and seriously improve logistics to the armed forces.

Build & Stock a continuel program of around 15000 typhoon jets with the jump jet adaptation

What will this do.

Protect British Industry as unemployment will plummet, because we will all be involved in the war effort.

Our power supply will be the best and the cleanest in the world.

Our aging fleet will be modernised into wars and conflicts that make demands of them today

Reduce crime because 16 - 18 year olds would be in the army and then return to walk into free university and college education.

We would be able to convert to a hydrogen car system, saving the environment.

We will become the a super power in terms of miltary strengh.

Where will all this money come from to fund this, the banks and borrowing. If we are going to get this country into irreversable debt, then we may as well get something out of it. A more powerful country.

Peace? Don't make me laugh! We've been waging aggressive war against Iraq and Afganistan for the last seven or eight years!

I'm with Ken MacLeod on this one...

We should offer Trident for hire on a time-share basis to the world community of nuclear 'have-nots'. In times of tension, states could contact the Royal Navy and bid competitively to secure first firing rights on a missile upon which they have been paying a small retainer. Time-share deterrence, as it were.

For a small fee (payable on easy terms), even the smallest, most technologically backward state can have access to and all the benefits of sophisticated cold-war proven mutually-assured-destruction nuclear deterrence technology. Border disputes instantly become a thing of the past all over the world. Superpowers must think again before riding roughshod over the sovereignty of weaker states. Regional bully-boy states suddenly become much less bellicose as the target of their bullying becomes a very different prospect after one easy phone call. World peace ensues.

Ooooh! Fractional Reserve Nukes!

How do I nominate you for a Nobel Peace Prize for such a brilliant idea :wub: ?

Has anyone here seen the naughty photo of him reported to be passed around among journalists? Or is it an urban myth?

Portillo doesn't come across very well as a politician but is an excellent commentator I think.

I find it very interesting that General Sir Mike Jackson is putting himself about a bit and in particular seems to think talk of the end of conventional wars is premature and high risk. (I guess he would say that wouldn't he, but I'd believe Mike Jackson more than I'd believe Gordon Brown, Mandy Mandelslime or Edward B0llocks).

Portillo has been firmly in the economic collapse is coming camp for some time. It seems to centre on the potential for a bond/currency crisis and the market forcing swingeing spending cuts. Unless Labour replace Brown with someone prepared to do this, the market/BoE will force it anyway.

Ooooh! Fractional Reserve Nukes!

How do I nominate you for a Nobel Peace Prize for such a brilliant idea :wub: ?

Heh! Unfortunately, not my own idea. Ken MacLeod comprehensively explores the concept in his 'Fall Revolution' series of speculative fiction novels, in which he speculates that a breakaway province of Kazakhstan manages to retain a significant portion of Soviet strategic missiles following the collapse of the USSR - these missiles are then 'time-shared' in the manner I suggested. What could possibly go wrong?

Remind me, What risks is Germany taking by not having a fleet of Nuclear armed subs?

tim

Germany isn't taking any risk not having Nuclear armed submarines...... like 25 other EU states they rely on France & Britain to supply Europe with collective Nuclear security.

For the EU to be taken seriously and to guarantee security for Europe it's important that we have our own Nuclear defences.