House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
contractor

Undercover Boss

CEO of Clugstons construction undercover at various sites of theirs around the north.

He meets many staff all facing the spectre of redundancy due to the economic climate. One thing that strikes me is that the people he meets are a really great bunch of people, all trying their best to get by. The 20 yr old brickie at the site that's nearly complete is a case in point.

It's such a shame, these are the folks suffering the most at the hands of poor government policy, inadequate leadership and greedy bankers, who ultimately get away pretty much unscathed.

CEO of Clugstons construction undercover at various sites of theirs around the north.

He meets many staff all facing the spectre of redundancy due to the economic climate. One thing that strikes me is that the people he meets are a really great bunch of people, all trying their best to get by. The 20 yr old brickie at the site that's nearly complete is a case in point.

It's such a shame, these are the folks suffering the most at the hands of poor government policy, inadequate leadership and greedy bankers, who ultimately get away pretty much unscathed.

I'll agree its a great show, watching it now.

Not sure about your conclusions though.

Lets see the results now....

Top result.

I think all managers should do exactly what he's done.

What did he do? hang himself!

which was ?

didnt see it

OH, FFS ..... Thread Title 'Undercover Boss' ; in the original post. "He meets many staff ...."

Loosely translated - The boss of the company rubs shoulders with the workers at the lowest level of his organisation, many of whom are so detached from his level that they don't recognise him.

Think CEO of Tesco or Wal-Mart stacking shelves and operating a checkout.

Think CEO of Scottish Power going door-to-door to read meters and sell utility changes.

Clear?

OH, FFS ..... Thread Title 'Undercover Boss' ; in the original post. "He meets many staff ...."

Loosely translated - The boss of the company rubs shoulders with the workers at the lowest level of his organisation, many of whom are so detached from his level that they don't recognise him.

Think CEO of Tesco or Wal-Mart stacking shelves and operating a checkout.

Think CEO of Scottish Power going door-to-door to read meters and sell utility changes.

Clear?

Pure propaganda.

Message.

We are going to make you all redundant but we are really nice blokes so don't do anything nasty to us.

End of message.

you missed out the General Public and the Media to blame too - bubbles require them too

Top result.

I think all managers should do exactly what he's done.

Personally, I think what he achieved was pointless.

He met a couple of guys who the company were not making the best use of and moved them into other roles. He also met 100 others who said that the company didn't do right by them.

Did he change the company procedures that had stopped these employee's boses from recognising their potential, or more likey, having an attitude of not actually being interested in fostering it? Nope!

So two guys win, and the other 100,000 cogs in the wheel are treated exacty as before! What's the point?

tim

He was sussed out straight away as being a company plant.

Wearing designer specs and asking questions like 'does your manager listen to your grievances' and 'what could the company do better?' etc didn't exactly meet my definition of undercover. :ph34r:

He was then the subject of attention for all the whingers and arselickers in the company who felt hard done by or wanted to come across as something special. The workers who get on with it and wouldn't dream of moaning to a TV crew will presumably get fired.

Personally, I think what he achieved was pointless.

He met a couple of guys who the company were not making the best use of and moved them into other roles. He also met 100 others who said that the company didn't do right by them.

Did he change the company procedures that had stopped these employee's boses from recognising their potential, or more likey, having an attitude of not actually being interested in fostering it? Nope!

So two guys win, and the other 100,000 cogs in the wheel are treated exacty as before! What's the point?

tim

I agree. The first one, in the caravan park, was far better.

Now, I would like to see undercover boss in the public sector. Go on Gordon...

Pity to have to go undercover, an admission of failure really. Better to be high profile and straight with people.

You can talk about really tough things with people if you don't insult them by dressing it up as anything it isn't. All my staff know that the future is higher productivity, that this is ideally done through growth but that tasks will disappear over time. They know that the only way to be part of the future is to help make it happen, and I make it clear I need them to do it. They also know it doesn't guarantee them a part in that future, that's down to the developing shape of the business and their capacity to be part of it.

Guess what? I get proposals all the time from teams (not just managers!) to reduce jobs. There is no trick to achieving this at all, all people are more than capable of grasping what business is about and if you can complete the picture so they understand that it is good business for me to keep people who behave that way then we all get on the same page. Just don't talk down or lie to them or treat them as idiots.

You've also got to have credibility that if the worst comes to the worst and a job has to go, that you have a way of handling it that causes least damage and treats people with respect.

People even thank me for being straight with them, and I thank them for helping shape the business so it has a future.

Edited by bogbrush

You mean the company doesnt recognize a union to represent his workforce in meetings and the management would do anything it could

to sabotage one being set up so they make a big thing about pretending to be concerned about their workforce in a recession when they

know they will lay them off.

Propaganda.

You mean the company doesnt recognize a union to represent his workforce in meetings and the management would do anything it could

to sabotage one being set up so they make a big thing about pretending to be concerned about their workforce in a recession when they

Propaganda.

Who are you talking to?

Who are you talking to?

Nobody in particular just saying what I think.

In a recession, people losing their job, pay being cut, hours being cut, pensions being cut, taxes going up while public services being cut.

Its working people that are paying for the greed of the bankers and politicians and all they can do is put these programs on trying to fool

people that the bosses give a shit. They dont. They dont care at all.

Most (ALL) tv programs at set-ups. TV programs and Radio are there to entertain, and content is manipulated to fit.

Example 1 : I've seen the recording of a program where coach drivers from a transport firm with trained to dance... However 3 of the 'drivers' were graduate trainees in management roles, and on the first day of filming it had already been decided who would win (the best looking graduate)...

Example 2 : I was in a radio studio and they had stuff for a competition. None of the callers were interesting and it was proving too much hastle so the DJ used one of my friends in the studio as the caller, and we walked away with tonnes of free stuff. Also During the radio show, big chunks of the live interviews and live callers were actually pre-recorded either on other days, during the day or during records and spliced in. There was very little live content in the show.

Example 3 : It was a program about companies doing badly, this firm had bad practices and in the show they didnt seem interested. Our company called and visited them after the show and it turns out that the bad practices were in a small part of the factory, and in an area they had already started improving. The rest of the factory was really rather good but the producer didn't want to show this bit in the TV show, and twisted everything to fit his script.

TV == Entertainment you take with a pinch of salt

Edited by moosetea

Nobody in particular just saying what I think.

In a recession, people losing their job, pay being cut, hours being cut, pensions being cut, taxes going up while public services being cut.

Its working people that are paying for the greed of the bankers and politicians and all they can do is put these programs on trying to fool

people that the bosses give a shit. They dont. They dont care at all.

I think you're mixing up bankers & politicians with "bosses". Most bosses are workers, and most do actually give a shit. Some don't, like some workers don't either but should we tar everyone with the same brush?

I am a proprieter and as my post above shows, I do give a shit. Giving a shit is actually enlightend good business.

You think businesses like a car component supplier caused this trash and their bosses are having a laugh?

If you want people to blame I like your direction with bankers and politicians, but where you and I part company, I suspect, is that I blame irresponsible state expansion for most of it; it's the only reason why the boom was encouraged in the first place.

I think you're mixing up bankers & politicians with "bosses". Most bosses are workers, and most do actually give a shit. Some don't, like some workers don't either but should we tar everyone with the same brush?

I am a proprieter and as my post above shows, I do give a shit. Giving a shit is actually enlightend good business.

You think businesses like a car component supplier caused this trash and their bosses are having a laugh?

If you want people to blame I like your direction with bankers and politicians, but where you and I part company, I suspect, is that I blame irresponsible state expansion for most of it; it's the only reason why the boom was encouraged in the first place.

I have tried on many occasions to convince fudge of the wisdom of treating staff and employees equitably and fairly is not 'propoganda' but damn good business sense practiced by the great majority of Managers I know and have know, but I fear he is wedded to his view of the world.

Its the system to blame but its the bankers, politicians and bosses that keep it going because they benefit most from it.

Its the bosses that do capitalisms dirty work by laying people off in the bust part of the cycle.

Its the system to blame but its the bankers, politicians and bosses that keep it going because they benefit most from it.

Its the bosses that do capitalisms dirty work by laying people off in the bust part of the cycle.

C'mon fudge, that is right out of the Teenage Marxist Handbook for Simple Answers.

Exactly wft do you expect to happen is a company can't generate the sales to cover costs?

Propaganda.

Unions would not be of that much benefit in the current climate. If they strike it would be very easy to sack everyone and re-recruit in the current climate. I wish someone would have the guts to do that with the tube drivers.

I guess my main gripe was that the people in the program were actually creating something, like schools etc. and were trying to earn an honest living yet its pretty clear they'll get the shitty end of the stick while bankers will cointinue getting massive bonuses and leeching off of the money needed to keep the country going.

C'mon fudge, that is right out of the Teenage Marxist Handbook for Simple Answers.

Exactly wft do you expect to happen is a company can't generate the sales to cover costs?

I expect them to make the workforce redundant like all the other companies because the boom bust cycle

is an inescapable part of the capitalist system. Working people never benefited from the boom but are

expected to take the full brunt of the bust.

Unions would not be of that much benefit in the current climate. If they strike it would be very easy to sack everyone and re-recruit in the current climate. I wish someone would have the guts to do that with the tube drivers.

They are the Total workers are trying to protect their jobs and are effective.

Deal reached in oil refinery row

And as for the tube and rail it seems its acceptable to lay off workers whilst at the same time the bosses

are awarding themselves with big bonuses.

Rail bosses get £1.2 million in bonuses