House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Banks Have Changed...

It's a long time since I've been into the HSBC at Oldham. Probably about 5 years ... so I walked in today expecting to see the row of cashiers and a queue...

But instead there's a huge expanse of space and a huge row of machines...

I stood there gobsmacked...

Bloke mooches over and asks if we need help...

So I asked where the cashiers are... down a hidden bit... and there's two counters...

So I pay my cheque in with a human being doing it rather than a machine.

So the banks have got rid of lots and lots of staff...

Bearing in mind we had at least one and normally two staff at the tiny branch at morrisons until a few months ago, it came as a huge shock to see such a big empty building...

It's a long time since I've been into the HSBC at Oldham. Probably about 5 years ... so I walked in today expecting to see the row of cashiers and a queue...

So I asked where the cashiers are... down a hidden bit... and there's two counters...

Bearing in mind we had at least one and normally two staff at the tiny branch at morrisons until a few months ago, it came as a huge shock to see such a big empty building...

Ive happened into Halifax branches a couple of times recently....empty, no queues.

Went to Nationwide too...packed full of grannies !!!!

Ive happened into Halifax branches a couple of times recently....empty, no queues.

Should have taken a pic and started a run! :lol:

Efficiency. Machines are better than long queues to speak to clueless drones behind glass. I recently joined HSBC - one of the main reasons was that they have a cash machine you can just tip your savings pot in to (as opposed to counting up and bagging £400 in change which was the RBS approach). I like HSBC. They seem efficient.

As an aside, I work in IT and spend a lot of time with banks. Fred Goodwins stated objective was to use IT to simplify the jobs of conter staff so much that a till operator from Tesco could perform the job. He was a plonker though.

Nationwide is always busy but I tend to only go twice a year on a Saturday so not really a representative cross section.

Lloyds last time I went in was heaving mostly with polish people but it was 2 years ago,

I don't get out much.

It's happening in soopermarkets too.

Local Tesco has re-arranged the till setup so that you have to pick up your own receipt (instead of it being handed to you in exchange for your payment - which provides some semblance of a purchase transaction imho) and you have to scan your own clubcard in front of the till - if you wish to. I steadfastly refuse to use self-service checkouts since I'd rather see people employed but I think the time is coming when they'll get rid of them altogether.

In many ways I think a collapse of offshoring, call centres, automation etc would be a blessed relief, whether that comes via protectionism or for some other reason. Our lives don't seem to be enriched by it.

As an aside, I work in IT and spend a lot of time with banks. Fred Goodwins stated objective was to use IT to simplify the jobs of conter staff so much that a till operator from Tesco could perform the job. He was a plonker though.

His vision of progress is a miserable one. As it happened Karma had the last laugh and he lost his job for being utterly incompetent. A Tesco till operator could not have lost more money than he did which puts his expensive skill set in perspective.

Edited by Red Kharma

Should have taken a pic and started a run! :lol:

Well.....I was filling out a form when I was in and the lady said in passing when I mentioned I want sure where to put my cash ISA this year, "oh, we are safe as houses....at which I laughed and said I didn't think so....she said, "oh why do you say that"....I said "well, no one is safe and your society has had its credit rating dropped (I asked why...no sesnible answer) and people are pulling their money out due to the low interest rates they offer, so I didnt think they were safe at all"....well, she looked like I'd stuck my finger up my a**e then stuck it in her tea. Shocked, in other words....the people behind me started to take a bit of interest in what I was saying and she then said she'd fill my form in for me and I didnt have to wait around....great service.

I had an account with HSBC, and then they put the machines in. :angry:

So I moved to Nat West next door. :)

Along with a few others apparently.

Well.....I was filling out a form when I was in and the lady said in passing when I mentioned I want sure where to put my cash ISA this year, "oh, we are safe as houses....at which I laughed and said I didn't think so....she said, "oh why do you say that"....I said "well, no one is safe and your society has had its credit rating dropped (I asked why...no sesnible answer) and people are pulling their money out due to the low interest rates they offer, so I didnt think they were safe at all"....well, she looked like I'd stuck my finger up my a**e then stuck it in her tea. Shocked, in other words....the people behind me started to take a bit of interest in what I was saying and she then said she'd fill my form in for me and I didnt have to wait around....great service.

My response to "we're as safe as houses" would be along the lines of "that's not very safe then".

we have a nat west quite nearby but my big concern is how often it gets done over...

Banks Have Changed...

They most definitely have, they are frightened to talk to their Savers. The absence of telephone calls compared with in the past to Premier Customers is now just a deafening silence.

How can they explain

Mortgages averaging 4%, Personal Loans averaging 9%, and Overdrafts averaging 5% when they are paying Savers an average of one tenth of a half of a percent. No bloody wonder they are once again making very nice profits. :angry:

Edited by Charlie The Tramp Returns

They most definitely have, they are frightened to talk to their Savers. The absence of telephone calls compared with in the past to Premier Customers is now just a deafening silence.

How can they explain

Mortgages averaging 4%, Personal Loans averaging 9%, and Overdrafts averaging 5% when they are paying Savers an average of one tenth of a half of a percent. No bloody wonder they are once again making very nice profits. :angry:

they need their margins!

Good luck to you. Machines are a lot quicker and more efficient than counter staff for routine transactions. And I have one of those personal banker people if I need to talk about any specific products.

You on the other hand appear to have chosen a 2nd rate RBS brand with long queues..........

:rolleyes:

If we are a service economy and the service can be provided by machines, then what are we supposed to do all day?

Get up in the morning, watch some TV, go to a cash point and get your benefit money, pootle over to the bank machine and deposit it. Then go to Tescos and use the self scanning RFID goods. Then go home and watch more TV. WTF! I think I'd rather kill myself, thanks anyway. :angry:

Who decided that this was a life that people want to live? The term sheeple is used here alot and I think we are just livestock to the powers that be.

But what Baaa! can you Baaa! do Baaa! about it? Baaa! Baaa! Baaa! Baaa! :unsure:

Efficiency. Machines are better than long queues to speak to clueless drones behind glass. I recently joined HSBC - one of the main reasons was that they have a cash machine you can just tip your savings pot in to (as opposed to counting up and bagging £400 in change which was the RBS approach). I like HSBC. They seem efficient.

Maybe one day machines will simplify the jobs of senior bankers to such an extent that a bumbling incompetent could do it.

Then go to Tescos and use the self scanning RFID goods.

Now that would be great! Imagine just putting the stuff in your trolley, not having to unload it go through a check out and just being scanned in a few seconds. Brilliant. Bring it on!! I might even be convinced to bring my own bags in that scenario.

Edited by Johnny Storm