House Price Crash Forum

Bank Account Infiltrated

Ungeared

HOLA441

I was wondering how many people have been caught out by Card fraud or online banking fraud, after withdrawing a couple of hundred pounds from my account last Friday I noticed that my balance looked a bit short of what I expected, around 1500 down at a quick guess.

Went straight home and checked my online banking, someone had got into my online account and transfered £1,836 to a HSBC account, this was taken even though I have a good internet security, got straight on the phone to Abbey and to their credit they were excellent, it was paid back into my account, apart from the inconvienance of waiting for a new card and e banking account, it was all dealt with straight after my call to them.

I think this sort of crime must be rife now we're in a recession, whether committed by small time crooks or organised crime.

HOLA442
I was wondering how many people have been caught out by Card fraud or online banking fraud, after withdrawing a couple of hundred pounds from my account last Friday I noticed that my balance looked a bit short of what I expected, around 1500 down at a quick guess.

Went straight home and checked my online banking, someone had got into my online account and transfered £1,836 to a HSBC account, this was taken even though I have a good internet security, got straight on the phone to Abbey and to their credit they were excellent, it was paid back into my account, apart from the inconvienance of waiting for a new card and e banking account, it was all dealt with straight after my call to them.

I think this sort of crime must be rife now we're in a recession, whether committed by small time crooks or organised crime.

There is a very simple thing that banks could do to minimise the online fraud side. a) A second password where you only enter three or four randomly selected letters from a longer phrase (as some do) and also the bank should tell you three or four letters that you select from a third password so that you know it's the bank's website and not a scam.

Well, that and banning anyone running windows from online banking.

HOLA443
HOLA444

i think this program Rapport is supposed to help, not sure how good it is, the banks sometimes promote it (free) http://www.trusteer.com/product

but also read this re keylogging issue and Rapport http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t88774.html

** be careful that you only download Rapport from a definite legit Rapport site, for obvious reasons ! **

HOLA445

There is CIFAS, which is an industry-wide partnership including the credit reference agencies - the idea being that you set up another layer of security measures including a password which are used every time any credit or financial service is applied for in your name. This could be useful if your name and address details were stolen as well as your card number or banking login.

HOLA446

Archived