House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

Almost 7,000 Ba Staff Volunteer For Pay Cuts

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6577597.ece

Almost 7,000 British Airways staff applied for voluntary pay cuts, including 800 who said they would work unpaid for up to a month

As the airline employees pitch in to rescue the beleaguered airline, a total of 6,940, or 17 per cent, of BA's 40,000 staff signed up for a range of cost-cutting options, including taking unpaid leave for between a week and a year and switching from full-time to part-time work, either temporarily or permanently.

The most controversial option, working unpaid for between a week and a month, attracted 2 per cent of BA's staff.

Oh dear

I have a copy of BA News (internal BA paper) in front of me: the chief executive said he'd take an unpaid month for July. :rolleyes: Like one month of losing £60k is going to hurt him :lol:

Fuel is the biggest cost, but apparently BA has a good enough hedging position for the next 12 months.

The deadline for pay\productivity changes is 30th June, according to CE Willie Walsh interviewed by Ian Lynch for BA News...he doesn't expect premium business to recover for short-haul flights.

Mugs one and all :(

I would rather walk away from my pissant job at BA than stand for this shite.

How long until he employs migrants housing them and pays them nothing to support his failing Airline? What sort of president is he setting?

next it will be all of us working for nothing?

Fluck Walsh he should be taken outside and shot! Irish muppet

Yeah its only fair because when BA were making millions in profits they shared it out among their workers didnt they? <_<

I know someone who works at BA and they were quite keen to get a couple of extra weeks off, without pay/OT. In fact, the way it was calculated meant it was more of an overtime reduction than anything, either way it seemed to suit him very well (I got bored trying to understand his description TBH)

The salary is good, and they are all in line for decent redundancy payments should that happen, so I don't think they'll be much resentment or trouble drumming up volunteers

The reduction is taken over quite a long period, so no huge detrimental effect to take home pay

Edited by pete.hpc

I would rather walk away from my pissant job at BA than stand for this shite.

Guess that's what they're hoping for , much cheaper than redundancy.

Guest theboltonfury

Hopefully this rancidly bad, overpriced company will go bust and all the staff can find jobs with a proper airline.

It's only 2% of staff working for free. All that fuss about saving 1/12th of 2% of wage costs. pfft.

Grabbing any advertising they can get, I guess.

Edited by Mixle

Hopefully this rancidly bad, overpriced company will go bust and all the staff can find jobs with a proper airline.

silly northern monkey try flying on scheduled airlines before they speks out. now go back to your allotment

And I hope your mother dies in a freak yachting accident.

Certainly a bail-out should be out of the question. If they are going to go bust they should be allowed to do so.

Having started a new job, though without quite having exited the previous job (gardening leave hence still on the payroll), I wonder if I should put a useful suggestion in the employees suggestion box as a joke.

The trouble is I would expect my old management to take it seriously.

Yet another example that pushes me further and further away from the inflation argument.

Everything screams massive deflation. Of course it may not end that way - however it looks that way at present.

PS - most of my savings are linked to inflation. I guess you could call that a hedge. :lol:

where do i sign up to these pay cuts ?

id also like another 200% on my house price need costs.

and 40 lashes.

Yes I have a great idea.

Why dont we pay them for letting us do their work and making their profits?

When you come to think of it we are just bloody selfish.

I hadn't used BA since they decommissioned Concorde, however I travelled with them this week and thought the service had improved greatly. Only gripe being the shuttle bus you have to use to reach the plane if travelling from T5.

I hadn't used BA since they decommissioned Concorde, however I travelled with them this week and thought the service had improved greatly. Only gripe being the shuttle bus you have to use to reach the plane if travelling from T5.

Aerospatiale, now Airbus pulled the plug on Concorde, not BA.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6577597.ece

Almost 7,000 British Airways staff applied for voluntary pay cuts, including 800 who said they would work unpaid for up to a month

As the airline employees pitch in to rescue the beleaguered airline, a total of 6,940, or 17 per cent, of BA's 40,000 staff signed up for a range of cost-cutting options, including taking unpaid leave for between a week and a year and switching from full-time to part-time work, either temporarily or permanently.

The most controversial option, working unpaid for between a week and a month, attracted 2 per cent of BA's staff.

Oh dear

This result doesn't surprise me. I reckon there will often be between 10% and 20% of staff in large corporations who would gladly work part time and this is what has happened here. I imagine the 2% who are going to work for nothing will be high level management under pressure to set a "good example". They'll be recompensed by bonuses or some other means later on in the day.

Everything screams massive deflation. Of course it may not end that way - however it looks that way at present.

Wage deflation, but not necessarily price deflation. BA can't make big cuts in fares, because the cost of fuel is rising... but they can compensate by cutting wages.

Similarly, the more sensible manufacturing companies seem to have cut back substantially on production rather than sell at a loss: I was hoping to get a really good deal on a new car, but while $10,000 discounts on otherwise unsaleable GM products aren't uncommon, it's actually been hard to find the particular (non-GM) car we want... demand is down, but so is production.

Of course wage deflation combined with static or rising prices for food and manufactured goods is not a recipe for rising house prices.

This result doesn't surprise me. I reckon there will often be between 10% and 20% of staff in large corporations who would gladly work part time and this is what has happened here. I imagine the 2% who are going to work for nothing will be high level management under pressure to set a "good example". They'll be recompensed by bonuses or some other means later on in the day.

I just realised that I volunteered to work less hours this year. We had a flexible benefits system introduced and I could buy back another weeks holiday...jumped at it. Thankfully got a 6% pay rise too.