House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Need A New Heart Monitor

Hi,

I have had a Polar M32 HR monitor for 3 years and the coded transmitter has finally stopped working, worn out and fallen apart.

The watch is still working although about half an inch of the rubber strap has broken off.

Question is - do I buy a new transmitter belt for about 35 quid plus P&P or do I go and spend the 60 or 70 quid on a new watch and belt?

Also, from the reviews I have read about the M32 replacement, is that you cannot replace the batteries in it - have to sned it off - which is just w*nk in this day and age.

I only want a basic heart monitor - not interested in distance travelled, weight and all that stuff. I have also just learnt about Garmin HR monitors which, at the basic level, seem to be about half the price of the Polar.

So, if anyone knows about any of these things I would welcome some advice. Has Polar been replaced by Garmin, etc, etc?

Thanks,

TMT.

I replaced my old one with one from Lidl or Aldi recently. cost me about 15 quid. Compatible with the machines in my gym. and you can replace the batteries. sorted.

Failing which I have a spare band from my previous which can also take replacement batteries PM me address and I'll forward you it.

+1 to Aldi/Lidl.

The strap & watch are compatible with the Polar ones. The watch tends to eat batteries, so I use the Lidl strap with my old Polar watch (the Polar strap batttery has failed but the watch is still going).

As lithanwif said, you can change the batteries in both, which is a big plus. And it cost about a tenner.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 405CX, which displays a nice graph of heartrate whilst you exercise.

It is top of the range (£260), with inbuilt GPS, so doubt its what you'd be looking for. It does have a rechargeable battery though.

Theres quite a good selection on this website, I think it has Heart rate monitors from all the major companies.

www.heartratemonitor.co.uk

Guest skullingtonjoe
Lol. I thought you meant a 3 lead ECG for a while there and was trying to work out why you needed a new one.

TFH

No, I`m not throwing Jacko into the equation here :rolleyes:

No, I`m not throwing Jacko into the equation here :rolleyes:

Bugger - you beat me to it for a tasteless joke along the lines of Jackson apparently not needing a heart monitor anymore.

As for the 'you cannot replace the batteries in it' model, what that probably translates as is 'you need to know what you're doing with a set of watchmaker's screwdrivers, and to have a reasonably steady hand, in order to replace the batteries in it'. With some waterproof watches (i.e. the ones that are designed to be worn while swimming or diving), there's a rubber gasket to be replaced as well and that requires a special fitting tool; so it really isn't a DIY job. But I've never had any other type of watch in which the battery couldn't be replaced by anyone with a little dexterity and common sense.

Hi,

I have had a Polar M32 HR monitor for 3 years and the coded transmitter has finally stopped working, worn out and fallen apart.

The watch is still working although about half an inch of the rubber strap has broken off.

Question is - do I buy a new transmitter belt for about 35 quid plus P&P or do I go and spend the 60 or 70 quid on a new watch and belt?

Also, from the reviews I have read about the M32 replacement, is that you cannot replace the batteries in it - have to sned it off - which is just w*nk in this day and age.

I only want a basic heart monitor - not interested in distance travelled, weight and all that stuff. I have also just learnt about Garmin HR monitors which, at the basic level, seem to be about half the price of the Polar.

So, if anyone knows about any of these things I would welcome some advice. Has Polar been replaced by Garmin, etc, etc?

Thanks,

TMT.

I know of someone who might not mind a broken heart monitor today..... maybe you could do a swap.

Bugger - you beat me to it for a tasteless joke along the lines of Jackson apparently not needing a heart monitor anymore.

As for the 'you cannot replace the batteries in it' model, what that probably translates as is 'you need to know what you're doing with a set of watchmaker's screwdrivers, and to have a reasonably steady hand, in order to replace the batteries in it'. With some waterproof watches (i.e. the ones that are designed to be worn while swimming or diving), there's a rubber gasket to be replaced as well and that requires a special fitting tool; so it really isn't a DIY job. But I've never had any other type of watch in which the battery couldn't be replaced by anyone with a little dexterity and common sense.

My current polar can have the batteries changed and I have done it myself. The locking mechanism, IMPO, seemed to be designed to put people off as it is ruddy difficult, IMPO, to put it back on. However, I have had friends who have bought Polar monitors where it has been impossible to change the batteries.

Frankly, I am put off Polar now because of this as it appears to be hit and miss whether the one you buy can have the batts replaced or not. As the mens' versions start about £70 that is a silly amount for something that you might have to throw away when the batts run out or are forced to send away to have a battery changed.

I have read up on the Garmin ones and they do a basic model for £30 on Amazon so think I will go for that. My local Lidl/Aldi don't have any in.

I replaced my old one with one from Lidl or Aldi recently. cost me about 15 quid. Compatible with the machines in my gym. and you can replace the batteries. sorted.

Failing which I have a spare band from my previous which can also take replacement batteries PM me address and I'll forward you it.

Thanks lithanwif,

I have read up on the Garmin ones and they do a basic model for £30 on Amazon so think I will go for that but thanks for the offer. I think that I may as well get the new watch and monitor together for that.

My local Lidl/Aldi don't have any HMs in alas or I would go with your recommendation. I think Polar prices are a huge rip-off IMPO and the Garmins get good reviews.

As for the 'you cannot replace the batteries in it' model, what that probably translates as is 'you need to know what you're doing with a set of watchmaker's screwdrivers, and to have a reasonably steady hand, in order to replace the batteries in it'.

That's so for my Polar watch, but the strap has a contiguous (I guess moulded) cover and can't be opened (or at least can't be opened and then put back together ;))

I have read up on the Garmin ones and they do a basic model for £30 on Amazon so think I will go for that but thanks for the offer. I think that I may as well get the new watch and monitor together for that.

I've got the Garmin forerunner 50 and it's one of my better HRM (i normally use a 305 with GPS). Love the storing and wireless upload (even works on my Mac), great for getting techie and analyzing how hard you worked. Can also be linked to optional footpad or cadence sensor.

It's cheap and the battery is replaceable on the strap

I've got the Garmin forerunner 50 and it's one of my better HRM (i normally use a 305 with GPS). Love the storing and wireless upload (even works on my Mac), great for getting techie and analyzing how hard you worked. Can also be linked to optional footpad or cadence sensor.

It's cheap and the battery is replaceable on the strap

Thanks. Yes, the forerunner 50 looks a steal at £30 and have seen many good reviews if you just want a basic HR monitor.

The cheapest Polar is £69 in Argos so they can go and take a jump. Can't see the justification for their prices and how they can get away with some models not being able to change the battery is beyond me. Oh, they are French aren't they?

Went to buy the Garmin 50 from Amazon and the sods have put it up £10 - they are supposed to be having a sale on fitness kit.

Oh well, just checked Lidl's site and from Monday they are flogging HMs for £16.99. I will go with the Lidl recommendation.