House Price Crash Forum
Monopoly

How Difficult Is It To Rent With A Cat?

We would like to rent a bigger house for us..2 adults and 2 teenager.

We are so called "quality renter" Hubby works for an international company well know around here.

We got the cat after we rented this house, but I can remember that this was always the first question asked 3 years ago when we rented this one...

Any experiences with renting with a cat?

We have 4 cats! (don't ask...)

We only had two when we first started looking for a new rental, and it was tough. Any nice place was pretty much a no go for pets. Came across one eventually that ticked all our boxes and would allow cats, but it will reduce your options considerably when looking at properties.

You could lie, we considered it, but then you have to keep up the lie and can't put a cat flap in or anything.

It makes looking for a new place a little bit harder, but it is worth finding somewhere that either has already had cats in (our landlady lived here with cats so was cool with it), or getting a pet reference from your existing landlord. In this competitive rental market, if you pay the asking rental, you should be able to negotiate permission for a cat no worries.

We have 4 cats! (don't ask...)

We only had two when we first started looking for a new rental, and it was tough. Any nice place was pretty much a no go for pets. Came across one eventually that ticked all our boxes and would allow cats, but it will reduce your options considerably when looking at properties.

You could lie, we considered it, but then you have to keep up the lie and can't put a cat flap in or anything.

It makes looking for a new place a little bit harder, but it is worth finding somewhere that either has already had cats in (our landlady lived here with cats so was cool with it), or getting a pet reference from your existing landlord. In this competitive rental market, if you pay the asking rental, you should be able to negotiate permission for a cat no worries.

What do you understand under a "pet reference"?

We don't want to tell our landlord until we found something that we are going to move...

We would like to rent a bigger house for us..2 adults and 2 teenager.

We are so called "quality renter" Hubby works for an international company well know around here.

We got the cat after we rented this house, but I can remember that this was always the first question asked 3 years ago when we rented this one...

It seems agencies quite often don't ask if you have any pets then put no pets in the contract anyway. Letting agencies and landlords are going to lie to you all the time about a range of things anyway, so I would not feel bad about sneaking a cat or two in, as long as the moggies are going to survive without having access to a catflap.

Dogs I would be a bit more dubious about due to them quite easily detected by barking. Cats, sneak-de-sneak for sure. I am in my new place.

What do you understand under a "pet reference"?

We don't want to tell our landlord until we found something that we are going to move...

I would just ask your landlord if he would be willing to give you a pet reference. If you want to keep your move secret then perhaps a previous landlord could give you one? You will only need a pet reference if you have to persuade a reluctant landlord to let a pet live in their rental. If you find a pet friendly place you won't need one.

Even if the advert says 'no pets' it's always worth asking if they mind a cat, because often the ban is in reference to a smelly dog, and in cases where the property has had a rental void period they may be more flexible (desperate).

Edit: Pets are more readily accepted in unfurnished properties so that's your best bet.

Edited by Jessica Rabbit

I'm in a still very competitive rental market area and it became clear early on that none of the local agents would agree to renting with a cat. I tried to find local landlords through word of mouth/various friends who were long term renters with pets, but couldn't find anything that was suitable - so my cat has been living with my parents since my job moved 9 months ago. I have weekend visiting rights. It's not ideal, and is one of the reasons I'd prefer to buy sooner rather than later if I can find the right place.

ive done it once when i got kicked out off my ex gf, logdged at my mates for six months till i saved enough deposit to rent somewhere, didnt have any problems really told landlord i had a cat beforehand

unfortunatly the bitch had already moved another bloke in who kicked the fook out of my cat

£300 quid vet fees

I wasnt fast enough finding somewhere <_<

I totally underestimated her, as it was a 3 bed detached i got kicked out of

just goes to show scumbags can have money

ive done it once when i got kicked out off my ex gf, logdged at my mates for six months till i saved enough deposit to rent somewhere, didnt have any problems really told landlord i had a cat beforehand

unfortunatly the bitch had already moved another bloke in who kicked the fook out of my cat

£300 quid vet fees

I wasnt fast enough finding somewhere <_<

I totally underestimated her, as it was a 3 bed detached i got kicked out of

just goes to show scumbags can have money

Sorry..you have lost me :unsure:

It will be unfurnished anyhow...and we want to sign for 2 years..because I dont want to be kicked out after a couple of month if they decide to sell..or what ever.

Does a contract signed over 2 years protect you from selling the property under our feet?

Mmh I consider lying about the cat :unsure:

Sorry..you have lost me :unsure:

the question reminded me of a past experience :-)

im still bitter as you can see lol

its not good moving about too much with a cat

anyway i cant forsee any major problems in moving with a cat

some landlords will have a cat of their own

just shop around a bit there are enough vacant propertys to choose from

and afterall landlords are only interested in money

you could even offer to replace the backdoor when you move again if you decide to put a catflap in

Edited by dylanthecat

It will be unfurnished anyhow...and we want to sign for 2 years..because I dont want to be kicked out after a couple of month if they decide to sell..or what ever.

Does a contract signed over 2 years protect you from selling the property under our feet?

The landlord's free to sell whenever he likes, but the new owner has to respect the original rental contract

tim

We've always lied about the cat.it saves a lot of bother.Not been evicted as a result yet.I'm pretty sure all the LA's/LL's worked out we had a cat but after a few months of being a good tenant,self interest takes over and it's 'better the devil they know'.

why kick out good payers for what nomally amounts to a little wear and tear.especially in this environment.

when we first started renting (2007) we told the LA's and they just wouldn't consider us.I'm also unsure about the cat clauses in contracts as to whether they contravene 'quiet enjoyment'.hopefully Matt or lettingslady will know.

Absolutely, don't tell 'em. Pure and simple. It's not like they'll ever come round anyway, as long as they get their money and you look after the place they won't care. De-flea the cats, places with floorboards/laminates are better, and make sure the cats can get in and out easily without a cat flap and you'll be fine and dandy! Me and my 2 tabby girls done it many times before and no one bats an eyelid - Landlords prefer to have a long-term, regular-paying tenant than worry about the detail....

Good luck! x :)

Its normally extremely difficult as most Landlords prefer money

Coat ,me , i'll get

:lol:

As a LA the worst problem I have ever had with a property was flea infestation. The tenant had permission for the cat and had installed a cat flap. Unfortunately the poor old cat had never been Frontlined. You can kill live fleas and sometimes flea eggs but rarely larvae. God what I don't know about the flea cycle is not worth knowing and it took 5 months to get rid. In the meantime without a live host they bit everyone that went inside!

We now charge an additional £100 pet bond and have clauses about flea treatments. As I always say it's pet owners that cause problems and not pets.

In my experience most landlords are open to pets in their properties as long as they are looked after.

As a LA the worst problem I have ever had with a property was flea infestation. The tenant had permission for the cat and had installed a cat flap. Unfortunately the poor old cat had never been Frontlined. You can kill live fleas and sometimes flea eggs but rarely larvae. God what I don't know about the flea cycle is not worth knowing and it took 5 months to get rid. In the meantime without a live host they bit everyone that went inside!

We now charge an additional £100 pet bond and have clauses about flea treatments. As I always say it's pet owners that cause problems and not pets.

In my experience most landlords are open to pets in their properties as long as they are looked after.

Oh no..our cat is well looked after..paid already a fortune on vets this year..injections, frontline, worm tablets, bladder infection and a fever..must have spend a couple £100 in a year.

So what would you recommend....lying or telling about the cat?

We are talking 4 bed for up to £1800 a month and we are very good tenants...but how to show them?

What is a pet bond?

Edited by Monopoly

Oh no..our cat is well looked after..paid already a fortune on vets this year..injections, frontline, worm tablets, bladder infection and a fever..must have spend a couple £100 in a year.

So what would you recommend....lying or telling about the cat?

We are talking 4 bed for up to £1800 a month and we are very good tenants...but how to show them?

What is a pet bond?

Personally I would tell them.

This is just an additional amount added to your standard tenancy bond to cover pet related damage.

You sound like a good tenant so tell them what a good pet owner you are and you should be ok. IMHO.

As a LA the worst problem I have ever had with a property was flea infestation.

I recollect not so very long ago viewing a property with a stink of urine and big stains on the carpet in the front room, and old crap in the back garden. I rather thought that sort of thing was what motivated agents to advise their clients to forbid pets. The house in question is still on the market.

Talking of which, shouldn't I be able to claim compensation for timewasting from the agent who told me that house was worth viewing?

I recollect not so very long ago viewing a property with a stink of urine and big stains on the carpet in the front room, and old crap in the back garden. I rather thought that sort of thing was what motivated agents to advise their clients to forbid pets. The house in question is still on the market.

Talking of which, shouldn't I be able to claim compensation for timewasting from the agent who told me that house was worth viewing?

We really wouldn't take a property on in such a state.

Well yes if they lie to you then it serves them right------------and it must be costing them a fortune to market.

As both a Landlady and an inveterate cat-owner I can see both sides.

I once moved into a house which had had a cat, but had then been empty for a month. Result - about 200 starving fleas descended on the humans. We had to get the disinfestation unit from the Council round (this was back in the good old days when they had such services - nowadays they just tell you to get on to Rentokill unless it's rats!)

Also, a surprising number of people are allergic to cats and won't rent a place where a cat has been. ( Especially, I gather, the French, for some reason)

However, if you are a dream tenant and it's unfurnished AND you agree to a professional clean and flea treatment at the end of the tenancy I'd bite your hand off.

You could try viewing, enthusing and being ready to sign; then, when the light of commission earned is shining in the LAs eyes, spring a non-negotiable cat on them....

Simpler to lie, though and if you are caught, claim it's a stray which has adopted you but you can't get rid of it because it's not yours! Then the LA would have to call out cat-catchers - too much trouble.

Hello

I have a cat too and was quite worried when we decided to move. But found a very good landlord (just renegociate our rent down!) and he said that it was absolutly no problem, did not have to deal with agencies.

Anyway, I don't know how is the rental market currently where you are but I am in the Bath area and I can tell you Rightmove has so many rental properties advertise at the moment that quite a few have either pet allowed or pet considered on them.

I think that you will find it easier that before to rent with your cat nad if not you are right just lie, anyway it is unfurnished so they should not be worried about their brand new sofa.

Maya

Edited by Mayalabeille

We lied on our first rental house about our two cats but the house came with a cat flap anyway. When we moved out they picked up we'd had a cat from a few stray hairs but they were fine with it as we'd been good tenants and never questioned we hadn't told them.

With the house we moved to we came clean and told them as the house didn't have a cat flap so we'd need to have a litter tray. We thought it would be harder to lie on inspections. The landlord was fine about the cats as long as we professional clean the few carpets (stairs, hallways) before we leave. They were move concerned that we weren't smokers and could pay the rent.

I would just ask your landlord if he would be willing to give you a pet reference. If you want to keep your move secret then perhaps a previous landlord could give you one? You will only need a pet reference if you have to persuade a reluctant landlord to let a pet live in their rental. If you find a pet friendly place you won't need one.

Even if the advert says 'no pets' it's always worth asking if they mind a cat, because often the ban is in reference to a smelly dog, and in cases where the property has had a rental void period they may be more flexible (desperate).

Edit: Pets are more readily accepted in unfurnished properties so that's your best bet.

If the LL calls round, say it's a stray, not a pet. Problem solved!