House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

One Year On, My First Year At Hpc University

One year on since I first posted on HPC University and it's been an eventful 12 months.

It's been a very educational being on here.

I must say there does appear to be a distinction between bulls and bears.

Bulls appear to be arguing that a new paradigm exists although don't seem to have much to back up their arguments with. But then perhaps that's the point of being a bull is the belief that optimism and positivism overcomes reality. Are bulls really just fantasists?

Most of the bears appear to base arguments more on rational facts which tends to show the bulls position as unsustainable in the long run. Are bears really realists?

So what the argument is really between fantasists and realists. At any given point in time one side will have the ascendency and Bulls like to believe they have either beaten the rules or created a new paradigm that the Bears fail to grasp. For a time this could be possible but I would argue reality will always wins, the longer the fantasy continues the more painful the reality check will be.

I've found the arguments/debates on here to be very engaging I'm always having to question and alter what I believe as I came coming across new arguments/facts/opinions.

I will also thank all of you who've posted articles that I've shameless stolen for my thread over at CAG, being here has also helped expand the sources in that thread.

My own view is that we have the wrong people in charge, and I'm not just talking about Labour. We have a political/economic elite that have failed and have created a system which appears to focus on continually papering over the cracks rather than addressing the fundamental issues, because the papering over the cracks is better for short term political/economic gain and leaves all the problems for someone to sort out in the future.

Because of this the political elite now appear hell bent on fixing the "economy" only to create an even bigger problem at some unknown point and time in the future. Whether this can be achieved I don't know, but then it depends on your perspective I would say Bush achieved this goal, he managed to avoid the real big problems and pass them onto Obama. Now Obama's objective is to ensure he can pass them on to the next President.

What happens now is anyone's guess, there are too many variables to predict anything with any sort of accuracy although I would stay at the minute the fundamentals do not look positive despite all the nice happy clappy "facts" appearing in the press.

To finish with I'll borrow the following Einstein quote which sums up for me why we are in this mess.

Albert Einstein:

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

To finish with I'll borrow the following Einstein quote which sums up for me why we are in this mess.

Albert Einstein:

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Strangely, I tuned into R2 this morning at precisely the same time as Wogan uttered those words ;)

You've averaged nearly 28 posts a day, every day, for an entire year! :o

EDIT: which I guess works out at one post every half hour or so (assuming you sleep for 8 hours a day)

Edited by LiveAndLetBuy

EDIT: which I guess works out at one post every half hour or so (assuming you sleep for 8 hours a day)

****** me just what I was thinking! :blink:

10k posts in a year! You overtook 5 years of my posts in just a couple of months, and im on here far too much...

Edited by moosetea

He works for the gubbmint, it's evident.

Think about it: he keeps repeating "debt is wealth" pretending to be sarcastic, but in reality it's more of a subliminal brainwashing...

Repeat it long enough and you'll end up believing it :ph34r:

Bruce B, quick - add IRRO to your sig :P

He works for the gubbmint, it's evident.

Think about it: he keeps repeating "debt is wealth" pretending to be sarcastic, but in reality it's more of a subliminal brainwashing...

Repeat it long enough and you'll end up believing it :ph34r:

Bruce B, quick - add IRRO to your sig :P

You can't deny a self evident truth. :P

Debt is wealth.

Have we not seen a huge increase in wealth over the past decade all funded by debt. If debt did not generate wealth why have we had so many wealth people.

All we need to do is increase the debt further and make this paradigm work again. Clearly a spanner has been thrown in the works and we need to increase debt to completely unimaginable levels to bring wealth creation back to the economy. Ponzi Brown understands this that's why he's PM.

Once you've seen the light you will believe too.

****** me just what I was thinking! :blink:
10k posts in a year! You overtook 5 years of my posts in just a couple of months, and im on here far too much...
That's a whole load of posting!

Mate you need to get out more,

Prices are over valued and will fall.

The credit crunch is here

Why you feel you ned to say that 10,000 times is beyond me.

Anyway happy first birthday and keep up the posting, I think if you stop the forum might shut down :ph34r:

And Happy First Birthday from me too.

yes, indeed, keep up the posting, you keep us informed of the news out there, and I believe you are the hpc King of Sarcasm. :lol:

You can't deny a self evident truth. :P

Debt is wealth.

A refined version of that truth: repayable debt is wealth.

Bulls appear to be arguing that a new paradigm exists although don't seem to have much to back up their arguments with. But then perhaps that's the point of being a bull is the belief that optimism and positivism overcomes reality. Are bulls really just fantasists?

Most of the bears appear to base arguments more on rational facts which tends to show the bulls position as unsustainable in the long run. Are bears really realists?

maybe it's that the realists are currently bears, not that bears are realists. After all 7 or 8 years ago it would have been a fairly realistic position to adopt that prices were going to rise, and in the future at some point that will doubtless be the case again.

Anyone who thinks the market will only ever go in one direction, up or down, is probably talking out of their backside.

There is also the distinction between people who think there should be a change, and people who think there will be a change, (ie shouldBears, willBears, shouldBulls, willBulls) and you can hold different positions on the should and the will. For instance 5 years ago I was a shouldBear, willBull, now I am a shouldBear, willBear.

Albert Einstein:

More Einstein:

"I never think of the future - it comes soon enough..."