House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

My Worst Nightmare.

http://www.fixmystreet.com/report/45215 (not my home, luckily ive always had good neighbours, but quite a few reports on there of this type of thing)

Just imagine it. Wayne and Waynetta next door have filled theyre own slum with unwanted crap to breaking point then decide to fill your property with it too. We're not america, so you cant shoot them. And i'll bet calling the council is more grief than its worth - if they found out they would set the pit bull or little frogmella on you.

Can choose youre house, cant choose neighbours and all that...

Not really sure how you go about inspecting the neighbours when viewing a house. ASBOs probably dont show up on HIPs or local searches.

If a vendor conceals known information about nuisance neighbours (e.g. where the vender has previously complained to the local authority), from a purchaser, then after completion the purchaser can sue for damages.

In this day and age the question "And have you any problems in this street with nuisance neighbours?" must be mandatory.

A HIP should cover this: as ought properly completed searches by whoever handles the conveyancing.

A few years back, a woman successfully sued the vendor of her house, when the vendor failed to disclose a man working till all hours next door, repairing cars: with of course no planning consent since it was a private residence.

We have a Muslim family next door who are as quiet as a mouse (except for the weird holy chanting music every now and then), until around 8:30pm when their little devil child decides it's time to get out the noisy toys and start thundering around the house for several hours, with the noise reverberating through the floorboards. He's only about three so he should be in bed anyway.

Have tried speaking to them about it but they refuse to open the door so correspondence has been by handwritten notes.

If a vendor conceals known information about nuisance neighbours (e.g. where the vender has previously complained to the local authority), from a purchaser, then after completion the purchaser can sue for damages.

In this day and age the question "And have you any problems in this street with nuisance neighbours?" must be mandatory.

A HIP should cover this: as ought properly completed searches by whoever handles the conveyancing.

A few years back, a woman successfully sued the vendor of her house, when the vendor failed to disclose a man working till all hours next door, repairing cars: with of course no planning consent since it was a private residence.

Sounds fair, wonder how often these cases are sucessful though.

We have a Muslim family next door who are as quiet as a mouse (except for the weird holy chanting music every now and then), until around 8:30pm when their little devil child decides it's time to get out the noisy toys and start thundering around the house for several hours, with the noise reverberating through the floorboards. He's only about three so he should be in bed anyway.

Have tried speaking to them about it but they refuse to open the door so correspondence has been by handwritten notes.

Dont they have to pray at 5am or something? One a few doors down when i was at university seemed to, they werent quiet about it either!

My worst nightmare is the one about the unseen (but toothsome and slavering) Thing, dragging me off into the loft, wardrobe, shadows tc.

Nuisance neighbours can be a pain though. Fortunately, the worst I've had are using my car as goalposts or the perrenial favourite of noisy nightime antics.

Moth collecting?

Possibly. But normally it is alcohol-fuelled shouting, loud music, moving around like an elephant.

I once had a rather slim lady who lived above me and regularly got up to something very noisy, rythmic and interminable with her heavily built boyfriend at all hours. It may have been tennis, from the screams. I didnt have the heart to complain, especially as hse had to keep visiting the doctor about her kidneys. I think maybe her organs were trying to tell her 'Oi!, Give us a break!'

Guest X-QUORK
Possibly. But normally it is alcohol-fuelled shouting, loud music, moving around like an elephant.

I once had a rather slim lady who lived above me and regularly got up to something very noisy, rythmic and interminable with her heavily built boyfriend at all hours. It may have been tennis, from the screams. I didnt have the heart to complain, especially as hse had to keep visiting the doctor about her kidneys. I think maybe her organs were trying to tell her 'Oi!, Give us a break!'

Dear oh dear Melchy, what sort of squalid garrets have you been inhabiting? Get yourself back in the Officers Mess old boy, a bit of indoor rugger and a bottle of port will have you sleeping like a baby.

I had students on either side of me for several years - sold up to a student landlord eventually. The stress was unbearable, made me physically ill and my biggest fear about buying is ending up with scumbags next door.

In fact, they do not have to be scumbags - the world is full of screwed up people, nasty people, sour people, noisey people, etc, etc.

...especially as she had to keep visiting the doctor about her kidneys.

Good grief! Her other half must have been hung like a horse!

Dear oh dear Melchy, what sort of squalid garrets have you been inhabiting? Get yourself back in the Officers Mess old boy, a bit of indoor rugger and a bottle of port will have you sleeping like a baby.

Oh, a couple of very squalid ones spring to mind. That one was merely amusing and a bit disruptive of sleep patterns.

Every gentleman should spend a few years living the rakes life. Builds character, doncherknow.

Breckland District Council......... Well it all went wrong with the London overspill anyway, the mass immigration totally changed the culture of the area.

Ring the council and say you are concerned something strange is going on there, with strange noises and chemical smells, and that you tried to speak to them about it but they wont open the door.

Thats what id do.

I've always tried my hardest to get on with my neighbours, even if I think they are fools, ( next doors a Gooner) say no more!

The way I see it, you may not like them, but once you cross that line and fall out, that's when the real problems start, both sides become sensitive to even the smallest issues, so even if you have to bite your tongue, smile and try to be polite........if all else fails, fight fire with fire and burn their house down...just make sure it's detached :lol:

With regard to being obliged to tell a house purchaser of troublesome neighbours I'm not so sure.

There was a case recently, brought by a woman who bought a house from someone with a neighbour from hell.

The seller hadn't disclosed this issue and was taken to court by the buyer who claimed she was legally obliged to divulge this info.

The judge ruled that the relationship between someone who sold her house and her annoying neighbour was not relevant to the sale, and the purchaser ended up losing.