House Price Crash Forum

Computer

uptherebels

HOLA441

Ok, lots of I.T. people on here it seems. Problem with my laptop. You know that noise you get when you unplug something from a USB port? Well I keep getting that, followed by a message that says something like " one of the devices has failed, and windows no longer recognizes it" I get this several times a day, even though I haven't plugged or unplugged anything into a USB port. When this happens, I then lose Wi Fi connection, and when trying to reconnect, there are no available networks. When diagnosing why it cannot find any, it tells me that I do not have a wireless card !?! If I restart the computer, problem solved, until the next time anyway.

Anyone know what the likely cause of all this is? Does it mean it's time to go shopping for a new PC?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Is it possible that you're accidentally hitting a shortcut key to disable your wireless card?

Lots of laptops have this (Fn-F11, Fn-F12, wireless symbol, etc)

edit: though, to be honest, I've never seen one say "one of the devices has failed" when that happens

HOLA445
HOLA446
Which OS are you running?

Vista, XP Pro, XP Home, Win ME, 98, 95, 3.11, 3.1 ???

Just lost it again " USB device failed " :blink: . Running Vista home premium. Laptop is about 2 years old. It's always been fine until the last couple of weeks. If it's the wireless card, I assume that can't be replaced? How could it be the wrong driver, if up til now it's been fine?

HOLA447

Before you do anything else, power down everything. Including switching off at the wall socket. Count to 20 and power up again. Then see what happens. USB connections can have a mind of their own. Just doing this solved some issues I had some time ago. I was surprised to say the least.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, remember it was free advice heh.

HOLA448
Off the top of my head, I'd say your wireless LAN thingy is either on the way out or using the wrong drivers.

Yeah. Personally I don't get that disconnection sound when the signal goes (as mine is wont to do) or if I disable the wireless connection myself by right-clicking, so it sounds more like an internal hardware issue.

Vista is set be default to update drivers automatically. Maybe it's updated to a newer, buggier driver?

Can you roll back the driver?

HOLA449
Vista is set be default to update drivers automatically. Maybe it's updated to a newer, buggier driver?

Can you roll back the driver?

Thanks Bart, yes I do get loads of updates, including a massive service pack 2 thingy recently. But I think I was having this problem just before that. I remember thinking that the update might solve the problem. If I knew what "rolling back the driver" actually meant, I might know if I could do it :lol: . Come to think of it, I don't even know what a driver is !

HOLA4410
Thanks Bart, yes I do get loads of updates, including a massive service pack 2 thingy recently. But I think I was having this problem just before that.

This is something a friend of mine warned me about when I got a Vista PC (the same Vista PC which is now packed up and ready to go in for repairs :( )

This is something different to Service Pack 2 and Microsoft security updates.

By default, the Windows Vista update service will search for and download device drivers for your hardware. Trouble is, the drivers that it finds (and installs automatically unless you have disabled the option as seen in tip#12) are not necessarily the best choices for your hardware, and in rare cases may cause their own problems.

PCSTATS is of the opinion that it is much better to disable the update driver function and do your own driver updates when necessary.

Link

Someone with a working Vista PC may be able to take you through rolling back the driver.

HOLA4411
This is something a friend of mine warned me about when I got a Vista PC (the same Vista PC which is now packed up and ready to go in for repairs :( )

This is something different to Service Pack 2 and Microsoft security updates.

Link

Someone with a working Vista PC may be able to take you through rolling back the driver.

Cheers. My OH is using XP, but I will have a look at this driver issue, and see if I can change it back to the old one.

Oh, and my anti virus stuff regards your link as a "high security risk" !

HOLA4412

Well that didn't take long :lol: Have now mastered rolling back drivers. Will see how it goes. I should know fairly quickly, because it was happening so often.

You guys 'effin Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

HOLA4413
Oh, and my anti virus stuff regards your link as a "high security risk" !

Tsk, what a wimp. Mine cares not a jot for such things.

Here's the text that the link points to:

14. Disable automatic device driver searching and installation

By default, the Windows Vista update service will search for and download device drivers for your hardware. Trouble is, the drivers that it finds (and installs automatically unless you have disabled the option as seen in tip#12) are not necessarily the best choices for your hardware, and in rare cases may cause their own problems.

PCSTATS is of the opinion that it is much better to disable the update driver function and do your own driver updates when necessary.

To disable automatic driver updates:

Open the 'start' menu and right-click on 'computer'. Choose 'properties'.

Click on 'advanced system settings' on the left-hand pane.

Choose the 'hardware' tab and click 'Windows update driver settings'.

Select the 'never check for drivers when I connect a device' option.

Click 'ok'.

Rolling back a driver in Vista:

Link

I'd still be interested to see what others think of my theory.

HOLA4414
Guest UK Debt Slave
Just lost it again " USB device failed " :blink: . Running Vista home premium. Laptop is about 2 years old. It's always been fine until the last couple of weeks. If it's the wireless card, I assume that can't be replaced? How could it be the wrong driver, if up til now it's been fine?

My take on this is simple

Windows Vista is a total pipe of cack and you'd be better off scrubbing it and installing XP pro

HOLA4415

Not sure if you mean your theory about Vista being troublesome or not, but if you do, I've never had a problem with it. I went to it from Windows 95 !! I read a lot about people changing back to XP, but never really understood why. Having said that, I don't really do much on a computer other than just using internet and email. If there were no such thing as the internet, I cannot think of a use for a computer at all, unless it was needed for your job.

HOLA4416

If by your theory you mean Windows Update downloading and installing drivers without your say-so, and problems arising as a result, yes, I'd say you were spot on. When it comes to drivers, I tend to go to the manufacturer's site and download from there, only doing so when I know I'm correcting a problem.

That said, compared to 'security' software automatically downloading updates and sodding up your PC it pales into insignificance.

HOLA4417
Not sure if you mean your theory about Vista being troublesome or not

I quite like Vista, it's I shame I've not had the chance to use it more. The problems I've been having are entirely hardware related, mainly due to the knuckle dragging oafs at Shittylink playing "bouncy, bouncy" with the PC while it was in their possession.

When I got it the hard drive cables had both come out (how they managed that I don't know) and the graphics card was DOA. These problems have since been fixed but it still isn't right, so it's going back.

My theory is specifically that the drivers for your wifi card may have been updated (by Vista admittedly) to something less stable. It sounds plausible to me, but I'm not really an expert.

Archived