House Price Crash Forum

Rents Rocketing In Edinburgh

copper crutch

HOLA441
HOLA442

The EEN must be getting a touch sensitive to criticism - comment 6, now removed, said (according to google's cache)

"The articles ARE PR stuff from the ESPC et al.

Have you seen Johnston press shareprice recently ? Those employed by the een have to write about goings on in all sorts of towns up and down the country.

Eg, They dont. They publish PR. "

HOLA443
HOLA444
This was unexpected :angry: it may be an idea to buy before it becomes too expensive to rent, due to lack of supply. :(

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/mortgage...ntal.5382283.jp

Interesting, I am currently looking for a new place to rent. All the agents I have spoken to have given the impression that things are slow and rents are falling.

I went to see one dump (it was very cheap I only went to see just exactly how bad it was) the agent was very honest with me and said they had already had to drop the price £100 from what the landlord has hoped for. I told her I still thought it about £100 overpriced and she didn't disagree with me.

Another I saw told me they had already dropped the price £50 a month from what it had been rented for previously and whilst they made up some rubbish about demand being high the speed at which the agent arranged a last minute appointment to see it was remarkable.

HOLA445
This was unexpected :angry: it may be an idea to buy before it becomes too expensive to rent, due to lack of supply. :(

Letting firms say the return of demand, especially in prime areas, together with a slump in supply, will see average prices surging.

Ah...I see. They're not actually stating any facts, just spin spin spinning. Well done Cruthster, on adding more white noise to the board.

I see you've added an angry face and a sad face to your post to show just how angry and sad you are at the bullish news you purposely sought out. Poor, poor bear in despair.

HOLA446
Guest An Bearin Bui

Wouldn't worry about it, it's DJ Alexander's Annual Rent Ramping Article 2009. They published a story like this about a year ago and again the year before that. Possibly they've been doing this since time immemorial for all I know but certainly it's a regular occurrence in recent years.

Each year the article is published and the format is always the same:

-> rents are rising - no reason or statistics on this, you'll have to take our word for it

-> one flat in the New Town went for x amount more than the advertised rent

-> David Alexander/random DJ Alexander staff member says that he has seen an x% uplift in enquiries / increase in flats being let / drop in their rental inventory (delete as appropriate) in the last week/fortnight/month

-> rents will continue to rise now forever and probably double by 2008/2009/2010/2011 (depending on when the article was written)

Then all the comments appear below the article to say that DJ Alexander are full of 7hit and know nothing, then rents fall anyway and we all get on with our lives as before. I don't know why they even bother, to be honest... :rolleyes:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
How do you know what he/they've been buying....?

Their development arm has already gone tits up. Heritors is the name. DJ in all but name. Discussed on here about a year ago. Lots of 'shady' links to overseas companies. All info is available in companies house. Of course - I am sure it is all 100% completely above board....... :rolleyes:

DJ, along with Spence, is another who I hope will be sleeping rough in the next year or two. They actually deserve it.

Come on karma - do us a favour. ;)

HOLA4410
The EEN must be getting a touch sensitive to criticism - comment 6, now removed, said (according to google's cache)

"The articles ARE PR stuff from the ESPC et al.

Have you seen Johnston press shareprice recently ? Those employed by the een have to write about goings on in all sorts of towns up and down the country.

Eg, They dont. They publish PR. "

Comment 9, also now removed, was quoted in our Edinburgh latest thread, only just realised -

"Seriously does anyone believe tbis rubbish?! This is merely a glorified advert for buy to let landlords and scummy estate agents.

Tourism is down by 12%. No one can afford a mortgage. The price of petrol is goping up. And yet somehow the

Evening News thinks its good that rich war criminals and industrial paedophiles are renting out Edinburgh townhouses for short stays and child raping sessions in Edinburgh?

Which members of the Edinburgh political establishment have been brainwashed by the Common Purpose cult?

"

Edited by TTD

HOLA4411

Let us remind ourselves what old DJ was saying last year.

Landlords DEMAND higher rent

"David Alexander, owner of DJ Alexander, Scotland's biggest independent rental agency, has predicted that landlords will benefit by being able to hike the rent on quality properties by 50% over the next year."

Epic epic epic fail.

And just out of interest I came across this other great prediction, from guess who ? Another estate agent !!

Slump Wont hit City

HOLA4412