House Price Crash Forum

Effect Of Garden Size On Property Value

Has anyone got a rule of thumb that allows the size of a garden to be factored into property valuations.

Specifically, I would like to equate a 40 by 50 ft rear garden with a 40 by 150 ft rear garden for similar detached properties in rural Kent.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Has anyone got a rule of thumb that allows the size of a garden to be factored into property valuations.

Specifically, I would like to equate a 40 by 50 ft rear garden with a 40 by 150 ft rear garden for similar detached properties in rural Kent.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

I am currently looking at houses in the £200-£300K price band, and will use the size of the garden as a bargaining tool. A large garden can be a plus or a minus, depending on who is buying. Some people prefer small gardens (less work) others will love it (and consequently be prepared to pay a premium for it). Personally, I would like a reasonable sized plot, and would negotiate the price down on a property if it had a small garden.

Round here (Southampton) if you get a 150ft rear garden, it seems that prices tend to be around 5% up on those with small (i.e. less than 50ft) ones.

But that's just my experience.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...