House Price Crash Forum
Guest BoomBoomCrash

Is Britain Still A Land Of Opportunity?

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Let's say that Joe inherits £10k when great auntie Dorris pops her clogs. Joe is unemployed and wants to use the windfall to try and create an income stream for himself. What should Joe do?

Edited by BoomBoomCrash

Let's say that Joe inherits £10k when great auntie Dorris pops her clogs. Joe is unemployed and wants to use the windfall to try and create an income stream for himself. What shoe Joe do?

Make a heavily leveraged investment in property, which only ever goes up in value, don'chewknow.

Let's say that Joe inherits £10k when great auntie Dorris pops her clogs. Joe is unemployed and wants to use the windfall to try and create an income stream for himself. What should Joe do?

Hmm. Become a pimp? Surely you could by some bling and a zoot suit with 10k.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
Did you mean Auntie Doris?

She was a funny old bird who insisted on maintaining an extraneous 'r' in the spelling of her name

Edited by BoomBoomCrash

Let's say that Joe inherits £10k when great auntie Dorris pops her clogs. Joe is unemployed and wants to use the windfall to try and create an income stream for himself. What shoe Joe do?

Give the money away to charity, then start ordering his neighbours around at gunpoint?

[/b

1. Make sure his benefits officer doesn't hear about it

2. Get into the drugs trade

Shares. Doesn't take a genius. Just watch Bloomberg and Sky news (basically world events). With any amount that you can't afford to loose entirely rule #1: Have a stop loss, rule #2: take little, take often.

Buy some land, get some piglets and become a speciality pig farmer. Posh sausages are all the rage doncherknow.People in Tunbridge will pay top whack for good sausage at the faaaarmers maaaarkets.

Well this is encouraging. Rather than blow it out on the town or invest in some crappy new build pad, you want to be sensible and create a stable income. You need to put that money into your savings account asap and get a nice monthly return, giving you a warm cosy feeling inside. But remember to get a decent interest rate!

oh, wait....

Purchase as many old scrap mark III and IV Cortinas as he can afford.

Melt them down, spray them yellow, then sell them at 100,000,000,000,000 % profit to BTLers as ingots of purest gold.

Bank the enormous profits. Do not pass go.

Next question?

Guest sillybear2

Use it as an election deposit, become an MP, then steal tens of thousands more from the tax payer.

Travel around the World for a year. Aim for mainly cheap countries - interjected by the odd expensive place. £192 per week. Even with the pound losing value that should be plenty. Unless you have a liking for whores and drugs. Then make it 3 months.

Sorted.

It is what Auntie Dorris, the funny old bird, would have wanted.

old-lady-smoking-cigar.jpg

PS - Even though the above is in jest, it is probably true. ;)

It all depends on Joe's skills and drive, how he should invest that money and whether he will succeed in a profitable enterprise. He can succeed. Will he - how should I know when I don't know anything about him?

If Joe is much over 20 and this is the first time that trading has occurred to him I suggest he puts it on a hot tip in the 3.30 at Haydock.

If it isn't then chances are he's got a good idea what to do with it.

If Joe is much over 20 and this is the first time that trading has occurred to him I suggest he puts it on a hot tip in the 3.30 at Haydock.

If it isn't then chances are he's got a good idea what to do with it.

Use to money to set up "become a buy to let" millionaire seminars.

To answer the question more "properly"assuming Joe just has the 10 and is doleied up due to previous lack of knowledge not effort -

Joe should spend it on improving his capital equipment - i.e. himself.

Full health check, maybe some therapy if he has any issues around earning money if that's his goal, general mental health if not, then some qualifications in a likely looking field going forward, health being a great one with the aging population would be next on the list if he doesn't feel up to starting entirely from scratch.

Next up - find a self made man or twelve, find out how they think and then copy it as closely as possible.

(hint - opportunities are everywhere, but it's a rare mind that spots them untrained.)

He could invest in an airline ticket and gt the f_ck out

Emigrate

Or as others have suggested, go into providing drugs.

Or............I can't think of anything else! I still think emigrate is the best option. I did and love it.

To answer the question more "properly"assuming Joe just has the 10 and is doleied up due to previous lack of knowledge not effort -

Joe should spend it on improving his capital equipment - i.e. himself.

Full health check, maybe some therapy if he has any issues around earning money if that's his goal, general mental health if not, then some qualifications in a likely looking field going forward, health being a great one with the aging population would be next on the list if he doesn't feel up to starting entirely from scratch.

Next up - find a self made man or twelve, find out how they think and then copy it as closely as possible.

(hint - opportunities are everywhere, but it's a rare mind that spots them untrained.)

Yes, not all literature is Tom Peters style cant and garbage.

This is the only decent book about business I ever read (well, scanned through). Based on empirical data not the guys personal ranting. If you can get past the flash cover and the grand promise in the title, what's inside is dead simple and contradicts much of what people think makes a good company.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0712676090/?tag...sl_9alal9hhgj_e

I never read the follow ups because I can't be bothered, but what's written in this one is simple truth.

Give the money away to charity, then start ordering his neighbours around at gunpoint?

but only if it's gold, right, as paper money doesn't exist?