House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Just $1200 Stands Between You And Death By Jet Bike

Just $1200 Stands Between You and Death by Jet Bike

Last year, we raved about a crazy/genius pulsejet engine bicycle builder named Robert Maddox. Now you can buy his biggest and baddest engine on eBay.

This twin engine produces 100lbs of thrust by burning a mix of gasoline and kerosene—no need for jet fuel. Consisting of two 50lb engines that can each reportedly thrust a bike forward at 75mph, nothing but trouble can await those who install this twice-as-powerful, 140 decibel engine that glows "red hot" while burning 1.5 gallons of fuel per mile.

Buy your pulsejet engine now on eBay for $1200, or make a lowball offer and spend the rest on life insurance. You really can't go wrong. [eBay via OregonLive via Gizmowatch]

superjetbike.jpg

Video on the page. Cool sh1t!

Once upon a time in the 60s there was a cammercialy produced gas turbine to bolt on to the back axle of a car.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Profiles/2008/8/American

Those of you who are familiar with the old Rover 2000 may be aware that that the front supension layout was disigned to leave space for an anticipated gas turbine powered version.

Rover Jet 1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2516271.stm

Excellent, I remember a pic of the Rover in my ladybird book of cars when I was wee.

The car runs on petrol, paraffin or diesel oil, but consumption is still high - about five to seven miles a gallon

So not too bad then, not much less than mew-mobiles & taliban trucks today why didn't they ever go ahead? Reliability? Build cost too high?

Excellent, I remember a pic of the Rover in my ladybird book of cars when I was wee.

So not too bad then, not much less than mew-mobiles & taliban trucks today why didn't they ever go ahead? Reliability? Build cost too high?

They did work hard to get the fuel consumption down doing pretty well in the Idex of eccifiency bit at Le Mans but to do that they had to add a horribly expensive heat exchanger system. Even without the added cost of the heat exchanger I would imagine that the build cost of the basic engine would have screwed it. I think that the RR/allison B17, about 400bhp region, is currently around $350,000 mark. A smaller turbine engine is not going to be much cheaper, possibly more expensive as the tolerences are going to have to be tighter.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

From our fine friends at the Darwin awards -

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Urban legend, but very funny all the same.

Work in progress I think

By the same guy that did the 1350 HP Beetle

AB12_15_05copy.jpg

Now that is an impressive project.

I like the way that the rest of the car is understated; no logos, etc. unusual for an American custom car.

Odd that he chose a mundane car like a modern Beetle though. He doesn't say how fast it goes, but I wonder if the car's tyres and steering can cope with high speeds.

We Brits can hold our own in the fast car stakes, of course.

The latest project is the Thrust Bloodhound, intended to break the 1000mph barrier.

It has a 800 bhp V12 engine... used as the FUEL PUMP :huh::o:blink:

It has a 800 bhp V12 engine... used as the FUEL PUMP :huh::o:blink:

Well, that's the deposit fund going straight into oil company shares tomorrow then.

Now that is an impressive project.

I like the way that the rest of the car is understated; no logos, etc. unusual for an American custom car.

Odd that he chose a mundane car like a modern Beetle though. He doesn't say how fast it goes, but I wonder if the car's tyres and steering can cope with high speeds.

Yes he mentioned in an interview with someone like gizmondo that none of the custom car mags wanted to cover it as he hadn't dropped the suspension and plastered logos all over it. I imagine I recall reading a couple of years ago that he'd had it up to 120 mph with the jet engine barely ticking over, but I can't find the article now.