House Price Crash Forum
Yorkshire Lad

Mary Portas - Bbc2 Now

Its not boom time now.

Golden period is over for retailers. Too many have expanded too much during boom time, and now are cutting back drastically.

Very interesting program, even as a bear some of the towns current shop occupancy is shocking.

She said on breakfast today that footfall is damaged by major shops leaving (ie: you'd go to a place to visit one shop and then go to others)

She said on breakfast today that footfall is damaged by major shops leaving (ie: you'd go to a place to visit one shop and then go to others)

Yes - in the US they call the big stores "anchor stores". With shopping malls, when the one of the anchor stores go it means dead mall.

Hopefully after a deadish period we might see locally-based retail re-emerge. It would appear the "clone town" effect, like so much that is pernicious in contemporary Britain, was largely debt-funded.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

its 'igh street init. but nea'r mind. it'll soon boom back as soon as people start spending in't shops and that.

just waiting for house prices to rise.

The problem with this programme is that Tewkesbury has been getting worse for years. It is a 20 minute drive to Cheltenham so where would you rather go, a town full of charity shops, or a large shopping centre with as good a variety of shops as you will see anywhere in the UK.

Also now Gloucester has opened it's new factory outlet centre, that's pretty much the straw that will break the camel's back

The problem with this programme is that Tewkesbury has been getting worse for years. It is a 20 minute drive to Cheltenham so where would you rather go, a town full of charity shops, or a large shopping centre with as good a variety of shops as you will see anywhere in the UK.

Also now Gloucester has opened it's new factory outlet centre, that's pretty much the straw that will break the camel's back

i had no idea gloucester had any factories ?

Its not boom time now.

Golden period is over for retailers. Too many have expanded too much during boom time, and now are cutting back drastically.

Comes as no surprise.

I don't go shopping much anymore. Sick to the back teeth of cruddy shop assistants and never being able to get what I want. It's like they don't want to sell anything. Americans do it better, that's for sure.

I get everything I possibly can on the internet, often at a fraction of high street prices.

What the hell did they expect?

Not really true, both Cheltenham and Gloucester are very bad, at the moment, both have a poor retail offer. Neither have expanded dramatically in the last decade.

Its not boom time now.

Haven't watched it but I bet rents, parking charges and business rates were neatly side-stepped in favour of orgainising eye-catching 'events' to lure customers in for the benefit of the cameras.

I take the little one dancing on Sat morings for an hour and go into ASDA on a retail park between 10 and 11 and it is dead..and Im not talking quiet Im talking maybe 10 people floating about..ASDA is obviously busier but places like DFS, COMET etc..Ive ben again tonight and I thought Id have a look around at 7PM went into 3 sofa shops and there was just me in all the shops..I used to work on that retail park about 4 yrs ago and it was always busy..i was genuinely shocked tonight (one of the sofa shops was doing a nice sofa on 4 yrs interest free credit though, £10 a month for a 3 seater aint too bad :blink: )

Edit

Glad to see Au-natural is shutting down, the wife loved it but its just cheap overpriced tat

Edited by stu2006

Plymouth is also bad, even the new shopping centre they built has empty shops.

The empty shops make up about a third soon to be half, you don't notice unless you really look as most are boarded up but the boards are decorated.

Haven't watched it but I bet rents, parking charges and business rates were neatly side-stepped in favour of orgainising eye-catching 'events' to lure customers in for the benefit of the cameras.

+1

The death of the high streets was caused by the council planners, nobody else.

How easy is it to drive to the high street. How easy is it to drive to Tesco.

If you under-develop city centres and restrict access, people are simply not going to go there when there are far more convenient alternatives.

Not really true, both Cheltenham and Gloucester are very bad, at the moment, both have a poor retail offer. Neither have expanded dramatically in the last decade.

They are still better than Tewkesbury though.

I remember going to Tewkesbury and other smaller towns like this when I was younger - mainly to visit the markets as they were very popular 20 years ago, but with the advent of supermarkets and Primark who needs the market?

At least Gloucester is trying to do something about it. Cheltenham has done nothing except build thousands of new flats, and seems to think it is above the recession. They are lucky in that they have GCHQ which is a massive employer in the town, but there is also a great deal of aerospace industry in the town that regularly comes in for a beating at the best of times, so goodness knows what will happen there.

On the plus side, if they all go bust I may actually have a chance of buying a house there.

An interesting show and for me the death of The High Street is down to parking.

Why do out of town places thrive? Easy parking.

Why do High Streets fail? Woeful parking.

People want to use their cars to go shopping, and town councils despise cars.

End of.

They are still better than Tewkesbury though.

I remember going to Tewkesbury and other smaller towns like this when I was younger - mainly to visit the markets as they were very popular 20 years ago, but with the advent of supermarkets and Primark who needs the market?

At least Gloucester is trying to do something about it. Cheltenham has done nothing except build thousands of new flats, and seems to think it is above the recession. They are lucky in that they have GCHQ which is a massive employer in the town, but there is also a great deal of aerospace industry in the town that regularly comes in for a beating at the best of times, so goodness knows what will happen there.

On the plus side, if they all go bust I may actually have a chance of buying a house there.

Interesting you mention GCHQ. Across the country there's a strong correlation to towns still doing well having a large public sector workforce. I guess, as you say, it's the aero industry as Cheltenham's pretty dire at the moment. I also suspect they'll be mortgaged to the eyeballs in Cheltenham as that's where that stupid underground Grand Design's tombola house is.

The trouble is, retail has overexpanded during the debt bubble and companies talk as if the debt-fuelled orgy of tat-buying of the last ten years is the norm. We may not see the insanity of spending huge amounts of money you can't afford for a couple of generations or more. You used to go to a shop to buy what you need or sometimes what you want - the hobby of buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff is very new.

Then there's the internet. As town centres have become cloned and fortress-like private malls have encroached, visiting such places is rather soul destroying so people would just has well shop on the sofa with their laptop.

Shops might be empty, but farmers markets are prospering. Could be that there's a shift in values going on.

I often used to get the train past Grantham, and about 5 years ago the large open livestock market to the north of the station was cleared and replaced with an ASDA and a Brantano's.

How long before it's a livestock market again?

Shops might be empty, but farmers markets are prospering. Could be that there's a shift in values going on.

Are they? This sounds like a fanciful middle class dream.

Markets selling stuff that's fallen off a lorry and counterfeit Nike T-shirts might make a return.

I take the little one dancing on Sat morings for an hour and go into ASDA on a retail park between 10 and 11 and it is dead..and Im not talking quiet Im talking maybe 10 people floating about..ASDA is obviously busier but places like DFS, COMET etc..Ive ben again tonight and I thought Id have a look around at 7PM went into 3 sofa shops and there was just me in all the shops..I used to work on that retail park about 4 yrs ago and it was always busy..i was genuinely shocked tonight (one of the sofa shops was doing a nice sofa on 4 yrs interest free credit though, £10 a month for a 3 seater aint too bad :blink: )

Yes, I've noticed that too in the retail outlets where I live. I've walked into a number of large retail outlets recently where I'm the only person in the place! There's something wrong when the retailers outnumber the customers.

Anyway, who worries about shops - it's PUBS that matter to a town.

Shops are just the decorative infill between public houses.

Exactly. As a man I rejoice at the shutting dont of shops. The sooner i can get everything i need at Tesco, the better. I HATE SHOPPING!!!