House Price Crash Forum

The Public Sector Cull Begins

HOLA441

My housemate is a music teacher, employed by the local education services. She's just had her timetable through for next year - cut by 60%. She's not the hardest hit. One lass is down to four and a half contracted hours.

But no 'job losses'. The outcome is obvious, these teachers are going elsewhere of their own volition.

Whatever your views on the educational establishment, it would appear that the budget cuts have begun.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
My housemate is a music teacher, employed by the local education services. She's just had her timetable through for next year - cut by 60%. She's not the hardest hit. One lass is down to four and a half contracted hours.

But no 'job losses'. The outcome is obvious, these teachers are going elsewhere of their own volition.

crafty!!

keeps them "employed" and therefore not showing up on government stats too.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
but there is still a shortage of (my pet hate) educational psychologists <_<

A friend of mine is a senior EP. Oh Laura, the things I could tell you.

I once went to a lecture he was giving to colleagues; a group of jobsworth no-marks par excellence. Unbelievable.

One of his co-workers once asked me: "Sometimes I wonder how we can make EP more useful."

I replied: "Isn't that another way of asking, What use is Educational Psychology?"

Happy, she was not.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Our version of this (large university - Russell Group, not ex-poly - in the north of England) is a combination of a recruitment freeze in some departments and replacing senior posts with more junior ones in others. So when a grade 9 (senior lecturer) at the top of the scale leaves, they're being replaced with a grade 7 at the bottom (newly qualified PhD, in most cases). And even when expanding student numbers and/or research grant income would have nodded through new posts as recently as a year ago, they're almost always being vetoed now. This allows them to avoid the nasty headlines that come with compulsory redundancies, but the workforce is definitely being reduced. The same thing is happening with admin and technical grades.

HOLA4410
A friend of mine is a senior EP. Oh Laura, the things I could tell you.

I once went to a lecture he was giving to colleagues; a group of jobsworth no-marks par excellence. Unbelievable.

One of his co-workers once asked me: "Sometimes I wonder how we can make EP more useful."

I replied: "Isn't that another way of asking, What use is Educational Psychology?"

Happy, she was not.

Thank you, you've given me my first genuine LOL moment on the forum for ages.

We'd all pay good money for moments like that, my compliments.

HOLA4411

Poor old Mr Brown, the former Prime Minister wants to be a teacher, lol. i wonder if he'll get a grabt for the teacher training? and if he passes, which i doubt as i believe they are trained to reject idiots, he'll only end up with a 30 minute a week slot paying thruppence hapeny. lol

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

one of the things that's never addressed [or infact two] as regards employment is employment underutilization, as can be seen by employees agreeing to fewer hours.....but even before these kinds of cuts the underutilization of the workforce has been a real problem. I guess this and low wage inflation has been masked by broon's mean tested employment benefits.

the second aspect is the huge role of public sector and crucially those who are employed in public sector related areas, which has scaled massively as an employer of the workforce. Cull is a little bit jumping the gun, after all isn't the public sector and related not where the fiscal stimulus printy printy money going to go first ?

HOLA4415

I work in Further Education. As far as I am aware we have not (yet) had our budgets cut. My college is however one of many that had been encouraged by the LSC (Learning Skills Council) to start work on new buildings and then the LSC suddenly realised they had agreed too many projects.

Money for the colleges was actually cut a couple of years ago, (they are shifting funding from adults to teenagers) so we have all suffered a couple years of job culls, with restructuring, redundancies, recruitment freezes, staff brought in at lower pay grades.

The Conservatives had been promising big things for FE, but that was before the recession really took hold.

Both my wife and I work for the college, so I am waiting for a Conservative government with some trepidation. The Conservatives could probably make cuts, by making the funding simpler and taking away a lot of Labour cr@p. For example my manager is currently impact assessing (her words) our literature to make sure it complies with equality legislation (maybe she said disability legislation), or something like that.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I work in Further Education. As far as I am aware we have not (yet) had our budgets cut. My college is however one of many that had been encouraged by the LSC (Learning Skills Council) to start work on new buildings and then the LSC suddenly realised they had agreed too many projects.

Money for the colleges was actually cut a couple of years ago, (they are shifting funding from adults to teenagers) so we have all suffered a couple years of job culls, with restructuring, redundancies, recruitment freezes, staff brought in at lower pay grades.

The Conservatives had been promising big things for FE, but that was before the recession really took hold.

Both my wife and I work for the college, so I am waiting for a Conservative government with some trepidation. The Conservatives could probably make cuts, by making the funding simpler and taking away a lot of Labour cr@p. For example my manager is currently impact assessing (her words) our literature to make sure it complies with equality legislation (maybe she said disability legislation), or something like that.

adult education is going down hill, all the new rules if you have a level 3 qualification you can't funding for another, HEcerts if an adult gets one then they get reduced funding for a full degree. All this education education education is a shame.

HOLA4418
but there is still a shortage of (my pet hate) educational psychologists <_<

They are very dangerous people. I know a rather influential one and she should be locked up. Turned one of her kids into an OC nutcase and the other is a sociopathic narcisist...but instead a certain government is giving her control over the social education of a whole generation of kids. The other child psych I know has a daughter, who is a patient of child psych no 1. Never seen a healthy kid raised by a child psychologist...ever.

HOLA4419
They are very dangerous people. I know a rather influential one and she should be locked up. Turned one of her kids into an OC nutcase and the other is a sociopathic narcisist...but instead a certain government is giving her control over the social education of a whole generation of kids. The other child psych I know has a daughter, who is a patient of child psych no 1. Never seen a healthy kid raised by a child psychologist...ever.

omg. I suspected this kind of thing, but this is scary. feel sorry for their kids and hope I can be a better dad one day.

HOLA4420

I have yet to decide on the whole deflation/inflation/hyperinflation/stagflation/biflation debate. Far too complex.

However - everything these days just seems SO utterly deflationary.

It seems like death by a thousand cuts - across the board.

HOLA4421
deflation/inflation/hyperinflation/stagflation/biflation debate.

looks as good a prediction as any i've seen. except the biflation bit, as i don't know what that is.

deflation followed by

inflation followed by

hyperinflation followed by

stagflation followed by

everyone giving up and going home, but not the end of the world as we know it.

;)

HOLA4422
Never seen a healthy kid raised by a child psychologist...ever.

LOL. One of my ex-girlfriends was a complete psycho, and her mother was a child psychologist; I thought there was probably a connection there myself :).

HOLA4423
LOL. One of my ex-girlfriends was a complete psycho, and her mother was a child psychologist; I thought there was probably a connection there myself :).

My friend's mother is one and he's fine. 15 - 30.

Anyone else for anecdote tennis?

HOLA4424
My friend's mother is one and he's fine. 15 - 30.

Most people thought my ex-girlfriend was wonderful too... until they got to know her better and realised she was only interested in them for what she could get from them, and couldn't tell the truth to save her life.

HOLA4425
Most people thought my ex-girlfriend was wonderful too... until they got to know her better and realised she was only interested in them for what she could get from them, and couldn't tell the truth to save her life.

I think I married her :angry: