House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AteMoose

Bin Tax

Received a magazine from Worcester council and on the last two pages there is the following Double page spread

"Say goodbye to garden waste for only £30 per year*"

Worcester council is starting a new service where you pay 30 quid a year and you get an extra wheely bin and 21 collections from feb to nov to collect garden waste! Is this just a worcester thing? Is this the thin edge of the wedge? Is it fair? Why cant I put garden waste in the normal bin?

Edited by moosetea

Received a magazine from Worcester council and on the last two pages there is the following Double page spread

Worcester council is starting a new service where you pay 30 quid a year and you get an extra wheely bin and 21 collections from feb to nov to collect garden waste! Is this just a worcester thing? Is this the thin edge of the wedge? Is it fair? Why cant I put garden waste in the normal bin?

do what we are all doing

a) burn it

B) compost it

c) mix it with other waste

do what we are all doing

a) burn it

B) compost it

c) mix it with other waste

don't know wtf happened there because I didn't put that smiley in but do tend to agree where possible.

We have two wheelie bins. A grey one for general/household waste and a brown bin for recycling green waste. They collect on alternate weeks. If you put green waste in the general bin and vice versa, the bin men wont take it if you get caught twice, or more then you receive a letter from the council saying you have to pay a fixed penalty notice of £40, if you dare not pay or appeal then they will take it to Magistrates court.

There not messing about around here. South Ribble BC.

Edited by debt-free

We have two wheelie bins. A grey one for general/household waste and a brown bin for recycling green waste. They collect on alternate weeks. If you put green waste in the general bin and vice versa, the bin men wont take it if you get caught twice, or more then you receive a letter from the council saying you have to pay a fixed penalty notice of £40, if you dare not pay or appeal then they will take it to Magistrates court.

two words

burn bin!

Isn't gonna save the world but will save your wallet from the bin nazis, will make your garden smell a lot better aswell.

Hmmm this is one step beyond, we have two bins

Black - Rubbish

Green - Recycling

what Worcester is proposing is a third bin that you pay for for garden waste! Doesn't really effect me as our estate of houses shares some big shared bins so they wont be able to track me :P But still paying for a bin collection service as a separate cost ontop of council tax!

Edited by moosetea

Hmmm this is one step beyond, we have two bins

Black - Rubbish

Green - Recycling

what Worcester is proposing is a third bin that you pay for for garden waste!

Whats the green bin for ?

Whats the green bin for ?

Black is non recyclable

Green is for a mix of glass, plastic, paper, metal

Brown (the pay bin) will be for garden waste

Edited by moosetea

In Huntingdonshire we get 3 bins:

Blue - Recyling

Grey - Normal waste

Green - Garden waste

All picked up every other week and no charge. Looks like you are getting stitched up in Worcestershire? :blink:

Edited by 3 Men In A Boat

Most organic waste should not go into landfill. It can be recycled.

Landfill tax is around £35 a ton now, introduced to meet EU targets to reduce landfill.

Keeping garden waste separate makes it easier to process/recycle.

Because of landfill tax, councils probably save money by recycling instead (which is the idea behind the landfill tax).

I would hope, therefore, that councils would not charge too much for their service. (Fat chance)

Why cant I put garden waste in the normal bin?

You can. Unless you're a business - for instance, a professional gardener or something - then, as far as I know, there's nothing stopping you from slinging the odd bag of grass or tree cuttings into your normal grey wheelie bin.

I like the pay as you chuck system.

I compost and recycle and really object to subsidising the filthy chavs who can't be arsed to reduce the costs to the taxpayer by doing a little sorting. And I don't want to dig another minging dump or incinerator to take their crap.

Landfill tax is around £35 a ton now, introduced to meet EU targets to reduce landfill.

The EU again. Kind of sums it all up really.

I am glad we elected two neo-nazis to represent us in Europe. I truly am. Brussels deserves nothing less.

Is this the thin edge of the wedge? Is it fair? Why cant I put garden waste in the normal bin?

Exactly! Why shouldn't people who live in flats in your town pay the cost of removing the waste from your 3 acre garden? After all, you allow them to look over your hedge, without charge! And, if you run a business from home that produces tons of rubbish, make them pay for that, too! They should be grateful you bring trade to the area.

don't know wtf happened there because I didn't put that smiley in but do tend to agree where possible.

"B)" = B)

Just throw all your rubbish down the street, how can you fly tip garden waste?

Black is non recyclable

Green is for a mix of glass, plastic, paper, metal

Brown (the pay bin) will be for garden waste

There taking the p1ss.

The thing that really gets my back up, is we are doing the collecting, sorting, rumigging through rubbisg, cleaning washing and then giving the councils recycled products, which they then sell.

If they want me to do all this crap, then they had better start either issuing cheques or knocking off amounts off my council tax bill, which this year for a band D property is around the size of Brazil's national debt.

Otherwise they can can get it the same way they always get it, when my wheelie is full in a non-recyclable bin bag thrown at my local (hahaha) recycling plant on a Saturday. Sort That !!!

The EU again. Kind of sums it all up really.

I am glad we elected two neo-nazis to represent us in Europe. I truly am. Brussels deserves nothing less.

I knew someone would pick up on that.

Much as I dislike the EU, something has to be done about our massive waste problems.

We can't go on burying waste, and organic waste can be treated as a resource if recycled sensibly. If people won't / can't compost, it has to be disposed of somehow.

21 Collections a year!

How much garden waste can 1 man possibly generate?

My problem is related in that about 90% of the garden waste that accumulates in and around my property is leaves from all the trees in my estate that arent on my land. Surely this is council waste and I should charge them for removal.

I normally dump it all back in to the bushes (its only leaves) that are in the public areas. I reckon if i had to bin it al, i could do front abnd back including my legitimate waste in 3 bins worth.

Anyone who can accumulate 7 x this amount probably deserves to be charged.

Edited by CHF

I knew someone would pick up on that.

Much as I dislike the EU, something has to be done about our massive waste problems.

We can't go on burying waste, and organic waste can be treated as a resource if recycled sensibly. If people won't / can't compost, it has to be disposed of somehow.

I have a suggestion on to reduce the waste problem. Stop junk mail. Junk%20Mail%20OTS.jpg

Also stop this kind of waste.

waste_bananas_450x340.jpg

Edited by debt-free

There taking the p1ss.

The thing that really gets my back up, is we are doing the collecting, sorting, rumigging through rubbisg, cleaning washing and then giving the councils recycled products, which they then sell.

If they want me to do all this crap, then they had better start either issuing cheques or knocking off amounts off my council tax bill, which this year for a band D property is around the size of Brazil's national debt.

Otherwise they can can get it the same way they always get it, when my wheelie is full in a non-recyclable bin bag thrown at my local (hahaha) recycling plant on a Saturday. Sort That !!!

+1

:lol:

Luton has 3 bins and a box:

Large Grey Bin - Rubbish

Small Green Bin - Recycable paper, plastic and Cardboard

Big brown bin - Garden Waste

Box - For glass (ours was stolen, had to buy another!)