House Price Crash Forum
bomberbrown

When Is A 2 Bedroomed Flat, Not A 2 Bedroomed Flat?

Q. When is a 2 bedroomed flat, not a 2 bedroomed flat?

A. When the second bedroom is quite clearly half of the living room.

:lol:

I think this sort of thing is a shame. The original conversion made for a nice sized one-bedroom flat. I know there is a general hatred of flats on here, but some of them are very nice. How many more modern houses would have a living area as large as this conversion had originally?

I have seen this countless times in my area. In one case a flat that had been made out of a whole floor of a house not dissimilar to the one here was 'reconverted' into two tiny two bed flats.

This type of house has been converted into flats for many years, but the greed levels now means making them ever smaller. At least this one has a separate kitchen.

Bedroom 1:9'11 x 9'6

Bedroom 2:9'10 x 6'4

Bedroom 3:11'5 x 7'2

Bedroom 4:7'11 x 5'0

Reception 1:13'00 x 12'7

Reception 2:9'10 x 8'2

Kitchen:8'9 x 7'2

epic fail

That's nowt, somehow these clowns have converted a two-up/two-down into a four bedroom house. I suppose it's divine retribution that it's a repo:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-22307110.html?

Jeez, 2 of the bedrooms are barely large enough to get a bed in.

The energy efficiency is suprisingly good for a home of the period, though.

That's the thing I never ever get here....take a house with 2 bedrooms ..worth 200k and turn it into 4 beds by splitting the 2 beds into 4 beds..and voilà its worth 300k..with actual no added space what so ever :blink:

Only in the UK..I tell you :lol:

In Germany houses get sold be sqm and not by rooms...all idiots over here falling for that :rolleyes:

That's the thing I never ever get here....take a house with 2 bedrooms ..worth 200k and turn it into 4 beds by splitting the 2 beds into 4 beds..and voilà its worth 300k..with actual no added space what so ever :blink:

Only in the UK..I tell you :lol:

In Germany houses get sold be sqm and not by rooms...all idiots over here falling for that :rolleyes:

When the major builders started creating the additional rooms by building into roof space and chopping larger areas in half they started to call them 'bonus' rooms. Thats how they created breakfast rooms, studies and family rooms etc. Also the plethora of 5 bedroom houses by taking the footprint of an average size 4 bedroom house and creating a thrird floor in what would have just been the roofspace? Doing this, they get to bang £100k on the price. Bravo! <_<

Only Brit builders could take an existing space, chop it in half and call that a USP advantage? :huh:

When the major builders started creating the additional rooms by building into roof space and chopping larger areas in half they started to call them 'bonus' rooms. Thats how they created breakfast rooms, studies and family rooms etc. Also the plethora of 5 bedroom houses by taking the footprint of an average size 4 bedroom house and creating a thrird floor in what would have just been the roofspace? Doing this, they get to bang £100k on the price. Bravo! <_<

Only Brit builders could take an existing space, chop it in half and call that a USP advantage? :huh:

but most of the bonus rooms (near me) are between 400 and 600 square feet in usable area. They have lost hallways and storage spaces, but most proper houses with proper bonus rooms (as they call them) are extremely large spaces that tend to be for the kids to play in or find some privacy or are enormous boystoy gaffs with projector screens, a home gym and a place to lounge about. If you can use what was a good footprint and use the otherwise unused roof space and fill it with usable space, what's the problem ? Am I missing something here ?

but most of the bonus rooms (near me) are between 400 and 600 square feet in usable area. They have lost hallways and storage spaces, but most proper houses with proper bonus rooms (as they call them) are extremely large spaces that tend to be for the kids to play in or find some privacy or are enormous boystoy gaffs with projector screens, a home gym and a place to lounge about. If you can use what was a good footprint and use the otherwise unused roof space and fill it with usable space, what's the problem ? Am I missing something here ?

Absolutely nothing Rachman in general.

Just have a look at the price difference between those new build houses that are your standard 4 bedroom and those that are the same 4 bedroom footprint with the loft converted with the two additional bedrooms. In my area they are typically going for 30% more. Does it really cost £150k ish to convert the loft? I know that everyone needs to make a profit, but jeez.... :blink:

Also look at the room sizes of new build property compared with those properties built even 30 years ago. There was this trend to go from big open space to chopping and carving everything up into lots of little individual spaces. Again in principle, if thats the way we live now fine, however we do seem to all be paying a premium for it in comaprison.

I agree with the poster that said we should pay for property like Germany, based on the square metre. Consumately sensible I would say?

Am I missing something here?

Absolutely nothing Rachman in general.

Just have a look at the price difference between those new build houses that are your standard 4 bedroom and those that are the same 4 bedroom footprint with the loft converted with the two additional bedrooms. In my area they are typically going for 30% more. Does it really cost £150k ish to convert the loft? I know that everyone needs to make a profit, but jeez.... :blink:

Also look at the room sizes of new build property compared with those properties built even 30 years ago. There was this trend to go from big open space to chopping and carving everything up into lots of little individual spaces. Again in principle, if thats the way we live now fine, however we do seem to all be paying a premium for it in comaprison.

I agree with the poster that said we should pay for property like Germany, based on the square metre. Consumately sensible I would say?

Am I missing something here?

oddly, I'd disagree, certainly in houses the trend for this decade has been to have open plan living, with a large live in kitchen and then just a sitting room and to lose the dining room. Certainly a lot of the larger houses are now just open plan living. They have gone for lots of en suite bathrooms in shoebox cupboards, I'd agree with that (and with stupidly small garages). The overall sizes are smaller and there are lots of 4 bed 1,000-1,100sq foot houses - which I just don't understand, but for proper non Barratt rubbish, they tend not to be like that - they get more usable room out of open planning it......

I am about to assist in a loft conversion - the house is about 1,450 sq foot at the moment, the loft will easily add about 400 of usable space to it - I think I can easily get two proper sized bedrooms and one en suite or jack and jill up there for persons taller than hobbits - it's a largeish Edwardian terrace with a proper roof. I am budgeting about £15-18K for the basic loft conversion and stairs themselves (we have access to some pretty sensible labour)....... - there are no trusses that need replacing and the roof is solid as is.

Most houses in the UK are based on square footage for valuations, it's buyers who are daft enough to think oooh, more room.... - you can't blame sellers for letting those people pay the extra if they want to....

our house used to have a coal shed built on the front, previous owners knocked it out and flused it with the outside wall giveing a small but useable space next ot the kitchen, we use it as a laundry room but some use it as a dining room (how as it is small, its about 3m x 2-2.5m

thats fantastic idea, you could have a price per Sq/m per area/road + any extras that particular house may have, you could then see transparently (well nearly) how much the house is worth, and how much your paying for an ornate garden with fish pond

oddly, I'd disagree, certainly in houses the trend for this decade has been to have open plan living, with a large live in kitchen and then just a sitting room and to lose the dining room. Certainly a lot of the larger houses are now just open plan living. They have gone for lots of en suite bathrooms in shoebox cupboards, I'd agree with that (and with stupidly small garages). The overall sizes are smaller and there are lots of 4 bed 1,000-1,100sq foot houses - which I just don't understand, but for proper non Barratt rubbish, they tend not to be like that - they get more usable room out of open planning it......

Maybe its a regional thing, because the new build (Persimmon, Bovis, Bloor etc) I see go up within a few 10's of miles near me all have lots of little pokey rooms, just so they can say it has 4 receps and 6 beds and they seem to certainly add a premium. I agree London/Manchester etc seem to have houses been built typically with a more open living spacious style. Maybe the city dwellers have wised up and demand the feeling of space?

I am about to assist in a loft conversion - the house is about 1,450 sq foot at the moment, the loft will easily add about 400 of usable space to it - I think I can easily get two proper sized bedrooms and one en suite or jack and jill up there for persons taller than hobbits - it's a largeish Edwardian terrace with a proper roof. I am budgeting about £15-18K for the basic loft conversion and stairs themselves (we have access to some pretty sensible labour)....... - there are no trusses that need replacing and the roof is solid as is.

I think my issue is having to pay an additional 30% premium on a new house, just to get a couple of extra rooms, not the fact of best using wasted space in existing homes to its full potential. Presumably you are doing the loft conversion on an existing home and its a very wise decision by the owner to add some additional space and value to their home. Certainly, I would suggest that this is not going to cost what a typical large developer will charge to convert the space in a new home. Your £18k budget to do the same ostensibly as a developer charges in my area £150k shows the profiteering that accompanies the new home purchase.

Most houses in the UK are based on square footage for valuations, it's buyers who are daft enough to think oooh, more room.... - you can't blame sellers for letting those people pay the extra if they want to....

Absolutely, caveat emptor.

I can't talk really, because some time ago I did change a one bedroom flat to two and made some more money. However, I did not charge a 30% premium following the changes. Thinking about it, maybe I'm just jealous of the builders :lol::lol::lol:

Not only in Germany but all over Europe properties are valued and sold according to exact size in sq.m.

So you multiply the average price per sq.m in your area by size of a flat or a house and bingo you got the price. Belive me it works well. Here in UK we get... large 1 bed flat, small one, two double bedrooms... etc.. what the f@@k is that! When a double bedroom is not double? It makes me laugh. I`m looking for a flat and first thing I do is to look at the total size.

Not only in Germany but all over Europe properties are valued and sold according to exact size in sq.m.

So you multiply the average price per sq.m in your area by size of a flat or a house and bingo you got the price. Belive me it works well. Here in UK we get... large 1 bed flat, small one, two double bedrooms... etc.. what the f@@k is that! When a double bedroom is not double? It makes me laugh. I`m looking for a flat and first thing I do is to look at the total size.

its how commercial property is bought/sold in the UK

thats fantastic idea, you could have a price per Sq/m per area/road + any extras that particular house may have, you could then see transparently (well nearly) how much the house is worth, and how much your paying for an ornate garden with fish pond

Agreed, works very well in France; for example in Paris, you'll talk about the "price per square metre" as a way of comparing different parts of town.

Far more logical than what we have here :)

Jeez, 2 of the bedrooms are barely large enough to get a bed in.

The energy efficiency is suprisingly good for a home of the period, though.

That'll explain the lack of bedroom photos.

Agreed, works very well in France; for example in Paris, you'll talk about the "price per square metre" as a way of comparing different parts of town.

So whose going to set up the first EA to price up houses like that then?

Any suggestions, or could it be the start of a HPC franchise of EA's? :lol:

In Germany you get all the information you need when buying a house, how big is the land the house stands on, the total sqm of the building and how much of it is living space and how much garage and basement space.

Also the price for the sqm.

Here you can phone the EA up and ask for the size of the garden..and they don't even know it and when you ask for the total sqm of the house they tell you to add the rooms up to find out... :blink:

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

except you'll be amazed at how many flats just happen to be under a certain size - it's a tax dodge - the flats are bigger than that and they quote the size to make sure that people know it's a 'low tax' flat.

Quite. Amatuers. Clearly lacking vision of the potential. ;)

Why OH why is their a seperate kitchen? Stick that in the lounge and you have a 3 bedder, easy peasy. twats.

Edited by Tonkers