House Price Crash Forum

Here's the scenario: you don't like your job much, the company is blatantly shipping in Indian subcontractors for you and your colleagues to train up and you don't expect to be there twelve months from now. What's the best way to go?

Your basic choices are:

• Resign (does anyone bother about notice these days?)
  • Hold on for redundancy (does the company have any previous on this?)
  • Get sacked (gather some dirt first?)
  • Suicide (strictly last option)
  • {Other}

Which is best? what variable factors should be considered? Are there other options?

(This scenario is not (yet) autobiographical and no, I don't have any problem with Indians - just those companies that export "our" jobs).

There's certainly no cooler way to do it.

(Unless you have another job lined up, best way is to wait for redundancy.)

Here's the scenario: you don't like your job much, the company is blatantly shipping in Indian subcontractors for you and your colleagues to train up and you don't expect to be there twelve months from now. What's the best way to go?

Get another job in the one year you have left.

If it's too difficult to get something, make sure you have key skills they can't do without. Don't pass these skills on.

VMR.

Get a better job and negotiate with your current employer to keep bonuses, you will help with training/smooth transition and go quietly but you want a payout etc etc...Form a plan to get as much money as possible, if the company is behaving badly bring in a union Rep.

Edited by moosetea

VMR, my thoughts exactly. Don't train them up to make yourself indispensable. OR train them up really badly, but in a way that won't notice till you're gone and things fall apart :P

If you have balls the size of watermelons and the skin of a Rhino.

Turn up to work next Monday in a dress and high heels. Keep a good degree of stubble for effect but cover it in foundation, make sure you are suitably wired up. Tell your line manager that you now want to be referred to as "Jane" rather than "John". A few weeks of this and you should have collected enough evidence for a nice payout. A visit to the doctor asking about sex-change treatment would be a good backup.

More seriously get yourself another job PDQ if this one is looking dodgy.

In the meantime swallow a dictionary and make yourself utterly unintelligible to those you train up. Toggle from explaining the blindingly obvious for hours on end and then skimping over the tricky bits.

Edited by OnlyMe

If you have balls the size of watermelons and the skin of a Rhino.

Turn up to work next Monday in a dress and high heels. Keep a good degree of stubble for effect but cover it in foundation, make sure you are suitably wired up. Tell your line manager that you now want to be referred to as "Jane" rather than "John". A few weeks of this and you should have collected enough evidence for a nice payout. A visit to the doctor asking about sex-change treatment would be a good backup.

On the downside. You could end up like Klinger on M*A*S*H, wearing a dress for years and years.

Are there other options?

You might like to consider kidnapping your boss...

'French workers learn the benefits of ‘boss-napping’':

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/46958,featur...boss-napping039

Militant French workers have discovered a new and peculiarly Gallic way to vent their anger over the economic crisis and threats to their jobs - 'boss-napping'.

You might have strong feelings about your job today, but a couple of years after leaving it you'll barely remember the wan*-face excuse for a manager that you have to endure every day.

Basically, point scoring against your employer will give you fleeting pleasure only. Controlling your career is far more important - leave before you get kicked out.

PS But I admit that I have left a couple of cr*p jobs behind and neglected to leave accurate documentation behind. Or in one case, left a easter-egg-by-omission in the software :lol:

You need to put all thoughts of sabotage or emotion driven revenge aside and work out what's best for you personally. You need to assess your worth to employer (probably less than you think given you're being replaced by Dipak) and negotiate a retention scheme if you stay to do the training.

Unless you can secure a new job hold onto it but do as little as possible.

I've been through this.

Train them badly, make yourself indispensable.

Management will be on your back for it but one way or another you are going, that’s the bottom line so I wouldn’t care too much.

As soon as the mass redundancies are announced, flounce around for 4-6 months and get paid for the pleasure and make your handover as useless as possible.

I always liked the resignation letter:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

As a graduate of an institution of higher education, I have a few very basic expectations. Chief among these is that my direct superiors have an intellect that ranges above the common ground squirrel. After your consistent and annoying harassment of my coworkers and me during the commission of our duties, I can only surmise that you are one of the few true genetic wastes of our time.

Asking me, a network administrator, to explain every little nuance of everything I do each time you happen to stroll into my office is not only a waste of time, but also a waste of precious oxygen.

I was hired because I know how to network computer systems, and you were apparently hired to provide amusement to myself and other employees, who watch you vainly attempt to understand the concept of "cut and paste" for the hundredth time.

You will never understand computers. Something as incredibly simple as binary still gives you too many options. You will also never understand why people hate you, but I am going to try and explain it to you, even though I am sure this will be just as effective as telling you what an IP is. Your shiny new iMac has more personality than you ever will.

You walk around the building all day, shiftlessly looking for fault in

others. You have a sharp dressed useless look about you that may have

worked for your interview, but now that you actually have responsibility,

you pawn it off on overworked staff, hoping their talent will cover for

your glaring ineptitude. In a world of managerial evolution, you are the

blue-green algae that everyone else eats and laughs at. Managers like you

are a sad proof of the Dilbert principle. Since this situation is unlikely

to change without you getting a full frontal lobotomy reversal, I am

forced to tender my resignation, however I have a few parting thoughts.

1. When someone calls you in reference to employment, it is illegal for

you to give me a bad recommendation. The most you can say to hurt me is "I

prefer not to comment." I will have friends randomly call you over the next

couple of years to keep you honest, because I know you would be unable to

do it on your own.

2. I have all the passwords to every account on the system, and I know every

password you have used for the last five years. If you decide to get

cute, I am going to publish your "favorites list", which I conveniently saved

when you made me "back up" your useless files. I do believe that terms like

"Lolita" are not usually viewed favorably by the administration.

3. When you borrowed the digital camera to "take pictures of your Mother's

birthday," you neglected to mention that you were going to take pictures

of yourself in the mirror nude. Then you forgot to erase them like the

techno-moron you really are. Suffice it to say I have never seen such odd

acts with a sauce bottle, but I assure you that those have been copied and

kept in safe places pending the authoring of a glowing letter of

recommendation. (Try to use a spell check please; I hate having to correct

your mistakes.)

Thank you for your time, and I expect the letter of recommendation on my

desk by 8:00 am tomorrow. One word of this to anybody, and all of your

little twisted repugnant obsessions will be open to the public. Never f***

with your systems administrator. Why? Because they know what you do with

all that free time!

Wishing you a grand and glorious day

"I don't have any problem with Indians"

Why the hell not, don’t you have any balls?

Do you think that if this was the other way around the Indians would tolerate your presence? Hell no they wouldn't - they would give a shit about the prospect of poverty for themselves and their family and the shame of displacement by another race.

Doesn't anyone have backbone anymore?

Read the comments under this :

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/a...indian_ceo.html

Your basic choices are:

• Resign (does anyone bother about notice these days?)

• Hold on for redundancy (does the company have any previous on this?)

• Get sacked (gather some dirt first?)

• Suicide (strictly last option)

• {Other}

Which is best? what variable factors should be considered? Are there other options?

(This scenario is not (yet) autobiographical and no, I don't have any problem with Indians - just those companies that export "our" jobs).

What about the US postal worker option?

Plus you won't have to worry about housing costs again. :ph34r:

I always liked the resignation letter:

Never f***

with your systems administrator. Why? Because they know what you do with

all that free time!

Wishing you a grand and glorious day

That's it I'm changing career to be a systems administrator. :rolleyes:

Forget about all the stupid comments in this thread. Put all your effort into something constructive, i.e. setting up your own part time or full time business. If you're in IT this should be straightforward.

Don't annoy your current employer, you'll never know when your paths might cross in the future :huh: .

Many years ago, I rinsed out my manager's favourite coffee mug with my pish, after he had crossed me.

I probably made more brews for him in those final weeks than I ever did in my time there.

It's always the quiet ones.

Feck your ex-employer. Most British managers a crap - we all know that - it's all to do with the corporate culture of aggression, short-term planning, fire-fighting problems and paying a lack of attention to detail. Set up on your own if you can find a way.

The culture of 'always pleasing your employer' is rubbish. A workplace of fear and bullying is fostered by such an approach. Brown-nosing makes me sick. There were always so many of them in the corporate world I inhabited for too long - you know, the 'I'm going to work until 9pm every night - unpaid - so I get a promotion before you' conformist, ****-licking crap.

PS. Human Resources scumbags are now regularly scouring Facebook, etc., for negative personal comments, before they carry out a hire.

Edited by gruffydd

Do like the contractors who implemented our website. They were told they going to be made permie but then got canned. They left with the source code so we can't make any changes to our website short of re-engineer from scratch. We're a multi-national company btw - please don't tell anyone we're dead in the water. ;)

(Obviously the real fault lies with the managers to whom the expression "source code" has no meaning.)

Guest theboltonfury
Forget about all the stupid comments in this thread. Put all your effort into something constructive, i.e. setting up your own part time or full time business. If you're in IT this should be straightforward.

Don't annoy your current employer, you'll never know when your paths might cross in the future :huh: .

Don't do anything until you have another job or a very good plan.

VMR, my thoughts exactly. Don't train them up to make yourself indispensable. OR train them up really badly, but in a way that won't notice till you're gone and things fall apart :P

One of my colleagues started using pictures of AK47s as a screen saver and left gun magazines around. They never had the heart to get rid of him.

VMR.