House Price Crash Forum

'steady Rise' In Mortgage Lending

HOLA441

I would be interested to know whether some of this is due in part to the Bldg Societies exitting/going under/pricing themselves less competitively.

Does anyone have an idea of the proportion that the BBA now has out of total lending as reported by BofE compared to what it was say 2-3 years ago?

This is not my denial that things are "improving", but it may well explain part of the rise.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
LTM, RE inflation, so, where is the money coming for to pay for high mortgage costs if other living costs are going to go up?

You cant have an increase in essential commodity costs without it kicking the life out of equity prices. In this case house values.

Other than food what other essential commodity is on it's way up?

A year ago I was paying £1.15 for petrol this morning I paid £1. Seems good to me!

Edit to add all inflation numbers seem to be falling so how are living costs increasing?

Some would say that the basket of items does not represent real inflation which I partly agree with. But the basket does represent near term changes in interest rates.

Edited by LondonToManchester

HOLA443
Mortgage lending by the UK's major banks has returned to levels seen early last year, figures show.

The number of approvals for house purchases rose to 31,162 in May, up 15.8% compared with the same month a year ago.

But the British Bankers' Association (BBA) data also shows that borrowing on credit cards has dropped owing to householders' economic uncertainty.

Various lenders have raised the cost of fixed-rate mortgages in recent days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8114414.stm

Back to 2007 soon?

Oh and credit card lending is falling!

I can tell you that fixed rates are increasing significantly. This is having an impact on current applications.

Oh and it was crap in 'the same month a year ago'. Reality check please.

HOLA444
HOLA445
We will only get back to 2007 levels of lending if they print.

However in doing that they will unleash inflation.

It's possible that the current level of lending is what would be deemed "normal", although I think we will see another dip shortly.

printing money would guarantee a return to 2007 levels of lending for obvious reasons.

it is not possible that the current level of lending would be deemed "normal".

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I would be interested to know whether some of this is due in part to the Bldg Societies exitting/going under/pricing themselves less competitively.

Does anyone have an idea of the proportion that the BBA now has out of total lending as reported by BofE compared to what it was say 2-3 years ago?

This is not my denial that things are "improving", but it may well explain part of the rise.

Does anyone know the answer to this. I hadn't thought about it before. Very interesting.

HOLA4411

BBA approvals for house purchase figures for May/09

36,508 NSA, +13.8% YoY

31,162 SA, +7.4% MoM

We had an early indication that they would be up from this graph posted here last week, Trends in Lending, (red dots)

wb40hd.jpg

and here’s the comparison of BBA (scaled 1/0.59) versus BoE mortgage approvals for house purchase SA.

We should expect this rise be reflected in the BoE figures to come out next week and, presumably, also a YoY positive.

2m3lmo5.jpg

HOLA4412
I'm not I honestly have no idea whats going to happen in the future. But I do think the housing market is bottomed!

At the present time I'm not seeing any inflation other than food.

That is genius.

This one post is the best post I have ever read on this forum.

Having no idea what is going to happen in the future but can confidantly predict the future of the housing market, that is genius which is why mere peasants like me can only laugh at the unparalled contradiction, it's logic is beyond my comprehension. I bow to your new way of thinking. :lol:

Genius: A genius is someone who successfully applies a previously unknown technique in the production of a work of art, science, or calculation..............

HOLA4413

Stolen from mitchellandwebb on the dark side:

transvsapprovals0509.gif

Looking at the six month trend, lending is up, whilst total transactions are flat, even down a little. As MaW asks, is this a sign the cash buyers might be running out of steam?

HOLA4414

Looked at the BoE Total Secured Lending figures in Millions and it does look as though things have stabilised for the moment.

This is the bank lending and Building society Lending in Millions. It does lump in remortgages and new purchases so is of limited value, and I haven't found out which figure is the total mortgage approvals figure yet to compare with BBA.

However, it is interesting that the Building Societies seem to be recovering their lending a little, whereas the banks are flat.

It appears that there is only a finite amount of money to lend, and with no remortgaging going on, that money is going into allowing house purchases.

Non seasonally adjusted, there appears to be a recovery so I have posted that graph as well

bank_v_bsoc.JPG

bank_v_bsoc___NSA.JPG

post-9535-1245757973_thumb.jpg

post-9535-1245758274_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobthe~

HOLA4415

Nice graph (Timm + M&W dark side)- the HMRC transactions are collated, IIRC, for the completion month but may still have a slight 'undercount for the most recent month' (not sure how or if they compensate?). The approvals also leads the HMRC transactions slightly.

Edited by spline

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Of course he doesn't know what is going to happen

Of course he is allowed an opinion

Your point is?

He didn't say he "didn't know", he said he had "no idea".

Obviously he did have an idea, otherwise he couldn't have said what his idea was.

However, you are right; it is mere semantics.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Other than food where is the inflation?

We were told TV's and stuff were going to become more expensive! Other than Sony this does not appear to be the case.

Are you for real? There is more to life than plasma TVs! The pound in your pocket is worth 15% less than 5 years ago (based on CPI) and that was a period of relatively low inflation. We now have taxes and interest rates all about to go up (after the general election) to pay for the debt bubble. Then you will know inflation.

HOLA4420
Looked at the BoE Total Secured Lending figures in Millions and it does look as though things have stabilised for the moment.

This is the bank lending and Building society Lending in Millions. It does lump in remortgages and new purchases so is of limited value, and I haven't found out which figure is the total mortgage approvals figure yet to compare with BBA.

However, it is interesting that the Building Societies seem to be recovering their lending a little, whereas the banks are flat.

It appears that there is only a finite amount of money to lend, and with no remortgaging going on, that money is going into allowing house purchases.

Non seasonally adjusted, there appears to be a recovery so I have posted that graph as well

It has to be said if that's a bounce it's the worst one i've ever seen. More of a pancake.

Youm Spring Pancake!

HOLA4421
It has to be said if that's a bounce it's the worst one i've ever seen. More of a pancake.

Youm Spring Pancake!

Well it is total lending and as remortgaging has gone down faster than a 10 dollar hoo-er, the money is there to lend on purchases (although re-mortgaging is pass the parcel really so why it shows at all other than any increase in amount lent, I don't know, it surely wouldn't have any value - having said that I don't know which basis the remortgage figures are shown on).

I also think that we are seeing recoveries in "posh" areas. I am not sure the cash rich bottom callers are going to be buying the new builds in leeds town centre, but they are buying the nice 3/4 bedder round my way.

So we may well see a recovery in some areas and none in other areas. We could find out on Friday, when the NWide publish their Q figures broken down by regions. It might also show whether there is a dead cat bounce/sustained recovery/full steam ahead bubble (delete according to views).

HOLA4422

Youm Spring Pancake!

Have you ever seen a dead cat bounce?

That's the point, it isn't a big bounce and is usually insignificant with regards to the bigger picture. Just enough to burn a few more people on the way down - always a chance to lose money!

HOLA4423
BBA approvals for house purchase figures for May/09

36,508 NSA, +13.8% YoY

31,162 SA, +7.4% MoM

MoM and YoY both up. And amid all this unemployment too. How can it be? :D

Curiously, they revised April's figure up from 27685 to 29018. So the actual MoM increase is 12.5%.

HOLA4424

Do I detect the first faint whiff of doubt?

I think the detective is starting to understand that if there is no body, no bloodstains, and no sign of a killer or a weapon, there is just the faintest of chances that there has not been a murder.

Just because Mrs McMad says there was one, does not make it so.

HOLA4425

Curiously, they revised April's figure up from 27685 to 29018. So the actual MoM increase is 12.5%.

So have you bought recently or planning to?

Serious question.

A lot of bears on here are waiting to buy (myself included).

It strikes me that if the recovery was genuine, then those buying in the winter at the tail of last year would have been the real property geniuses, rather than clever but misguided.

A big IF, obviously.