House Price Crash Forum

'steady Rise' In Mortgage Lending

HOLA441

Mortgage lending by the UK's major banks has returned to levels seen early last year, figures show.

The number of approvals for house purchases rose to 31,162 in May, up 15.8% compared with the same month a year ago.

But the British Bankers' Association (BBA) data also shows that borrowing on credit cards has dropped owing to householders' economic uncertainty.

Various lenders have raised the cost of fixed-rate mortgages in recent days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8114414.stm

Back to 2007 soon?

Oh and credit card lending is falling!

Edited by LondonToManchester

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Number of approvals may be up but amount being lent is down. So its either those with big deposits (which will run out soon) or people are borrowing less because prices are falling

Edited by boo

HOLA445
HOLA446
Mortgage lending by the UK's major banks has returned to levels seen early last year, figures show.

The number of approvals for house purchases rose to 31,162 in May, up 15.8% compared with the same month a year ago.

But the British Bankers' Association (BBA) data also shows that borrowing on credit cards has dropped owing to householders' economic uncertainty.

Back to 2007 soon?

As irrelevant as a ripple on a tidal wave

HOLA447
We will only get back to 2007 levels of lending if they print.

However in doing that they will unleash inflation.

It's possible that the current level of lending is what would be deemed "normal", although I think we will see another dip shortly.

LTM, want to mention how much las been lent compared to last month?

HOLA448
We will only get back to 2007 levels of lending if they print.

However in doing that they will unleash inflation.

It's possible that the current level of lending is what would be deemed "normal", although I think we will see another dip shortly.

Other than food where is the inflation?

We were told TV's and stuff were going to become more expensive! Other than Sony this does not appear to be the case.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Number of approvals may be up but amount being lent is down. So its either those with big deposits (which will run out soon) or people are borrowing less because prices are falling

Given that the lenders are asking for big deposits, I'd go with the former.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest theboltonfury

We were told TV's and stuff were going to become more expensive! Other than Sony this does not appear to be the case.

Brilliant, Cos none of us eat do we?

HOLA4414

Back to 2007 soon?

spin it, & spin it some more

remortgaging & equity withdrawal have fallen off a cliff (possibly cause no equity left to withdraw). What will this do for the sales of plasma TVs?

sept 1997-feb 2008. Not one month with a number of approvals lower than 40000 .

So the number of approvals this month are LOWER than any month during the 10 1/2 year period above.

WOW!

Now for a bit more negative spin.

This months approvals are;

50 % DOWN FROM MAY 07

52% DOWN FROM MAY 06

47% DOWN FROM MAY 05

61% DOWN FROM MAY 04

Nothing to see here, move along please, all will be OK, expensive houses make us richer.

:P

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Given that the lenders are asking for big deposits, I'd go with the former.

So potentially then we will see more "rises" in prices from halifax/nationwide over the next few months until those with big deposits dry up. Still looks like we will get the latter in the long run (unless the bank start changing their criteria)

HOLA4417

How often do you buy a TV? How often do you eat? The price of TVs is irrelevant to the cost of day to day living. Food is by far the most important. This is why the basket of goods they use to calculate RPI is b0ll0x. You are quite clearly a product of Browns Britain and I pity you.

HOLA4418

LTM, RE inflation, so, where is the money coming for to pay for high mortgage costs if other living costs are going to go up?

You cant have an increase in essential commodity costs without it kicking the life out of equity prices. In this case house values.

HOLA4419
spin it, & spin it some more

remortgaging & equity withdrawal have fallen off a cliff (possibly cause no equity left to withdraw). What will this do for the sales of plasma TVs?

sept 1997-feb 2008. Not one month with a number of approvals lower than 40000 .

So the number of approvals this month are LOWER than any month during the 10 1/2 year period above.

WOW!

Now for a bit more negative spin.

This months approvals are;

50 % DOWN FROM MAY 07

52% DOWN FROM MAY 06

47% DOWN FROM MAY 05

61% DOWN FROM MAY 04

Nothing to see here, move along please, all will be OK, expensive houses make us richer.

:P

It would be good to see this in graph form if anyone has it.

I wonder if it would look anything like the graph of actual transactions on FreeTrader's thread Here.

hmrctrans0509.gif

HOLA4420
Net new mortgage lending, of £2.3bn in May, was again at its lowest level since March 2001, having fallen from £2.5bn in April.

see also

Gross lending totalled £10.3bn, which was 2% lower than in April and 58% lower than in May 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8107576.stm

if that was the spring bounce...

HOLA4421
It would be good to see this in graph form if anyone has it.

I wonder if it would look anything like the graph of actual transactions on FreeTrader's thread Here.

hmrctrans0509.gif

nice graph, would be even better if the time axis went back to 97. Then, just maybe, LTM, rhinoalittle et al could see how much doo doo the housing market is still in. Bottom my ****.

HOLA4422
I'm not I honestly have no idea whats going to happen in the future. But I do think the housing market is bottomed!

At the present time I'm not seeing any inflation other than food.

...er, and perhaps petrol...

...and perhaps council tax...

...in fact tax...

...cars...

...train fares...

...car parking charges at train stations...

Excess supply drives prices down. Capacity gets cut, demand picks up, prices rise.

As for housing, the bull market rally is faltering now. There is no magic tap of funding to turn back on, the banks might now have enough capital from the point of view of capital ratios, but they are still tight for liquidity, and Govt borrowing is beginning to crowd out private sector lending. Come the Autumn the confidence will seap away and we'll see another round of price cuts.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
statsgraph230609.gif

Valid point. Lending for home buying continues to rise.

This might be positive for house prices if the other lines on that graph were not so negative for the economy.

HOLA4425