House Price Crash Forum

Business Domain Names

HOLA441

Hi knowledgeable peeps. :)

I need to register a business .co.uk domain name asap so no other bugger can use it while we set up.

The .com version has been captured :( any other advice appreciated as I know sod all about this malarky.

What would I do without you lot ??? Cheers in advance HPC'ers. ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443

You just register it and its yours for 2 years, you never actually own it more sort of lease it, with exclusive renewal option every 2 years.

I use a company called NS design, www.nsdesign.co.uk

They are very good and have great customer support, they registered my address, host my webby and sort out any problems, all for £116 per year. Cant fault them at all.

HOLA444
Hi knowledgeable peeps. :)

I need to register a business .co.uk domain name asap so no other bugger can use it while we set up.

The .com version has been captured :( any other advice appreciated as I know sod all about this malarky.

What would I do without you lot ??? Cheers in advance HPC'ers. ;)

www.1and1.co.uk

costs about £2.99 per year. You also get a the option to set up multiple email addresses on that domain, or have a catch all etc,.

Get a nice parking page, without banners etc.

highly recommended.

EDIT:Clarity

HOLA445

Use the same people you registered the .com through.

If someone else in the org'n registered that one, get them to take care of .co.uk or whatever.

If you really need to DIY, I recommend names.co.uk - put www in front of it for the full address. I have no afiliation, merely use them for my own sites.

HOLA446

Word of advice; be aware that the "Cheap" option for "Buying" a Domain name, will invariably screw you when the renewal time comes around!

That's how they make their money.

As for hosting, like all things, check around.

Most people buy a service which is far too whizzy for their needs. Depends on how big your site is: and what you want to do with it.

Is it an eCommerce site? Do you then need SSL servers?

And so on.

HOLA447

www.ukreg.co.uk - They're fine too.

I have about 80 domains registered with them. Hosting I do on my own server.

I've transferred domains in and out over the years with no grief or cost.

Support, via their parent company Fasthosts, is surprisingly good too.

HOLA448
www.1and1.co.uk

costs about �2.99 per year. You also get a the option to set up multiple email addresses on that domain, or have a catch all etc,.

Get a nice parking page, without banners etc.

highly recommended.

EDIT:Clarity

Never, ever use 1and1. You will regret it. They are the most difficult and useless registrar I have every used. The money you save today will be eaten up and more with support calls, emails and spending time working out how to use their control panel.

Use ukreg and your life will be much smoother.

HOLA449

Many thanks guys for taking the time to post, especially tr1ck5ter that looks like bang on advice to me- cheers !!!!!

Just to fill you guys in to whats going on, I got a phone call while I was relaxing at home from an associate asking if I could give him a

hand with something. Four days later he's up and running, I was helping him out until he found someone else.

Three weeks later he's told me that he's setting up another site (slight diversification) I told him that I had an idea about ten years ago

that will fit in to what he was setting up and the two operations will compliment each other.

If this thing doesn't take off big time, I will eat my hat!!!!!!! :lol:

Thanks again guys, I'm going bonkers with it all. :wacko:

Archived