House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest redwine

Electric Toothbrush

Guest redwine

The "mrs" came back from the denitists today one of my children has to wear a "brace"

He highly recommends that my kid uses an "electric toothbrush" or he "orders you to do so"

Me being curious checks this out on Wiki ,BBC etc and there is no proof anywhere that says that an electric toothbrush is any better than a normal toothbrush but they do not mention kids wearing a brace?

Is this a new trend or gadget or maybe he's right ?

Girlfreind is a private dentist... and she has a electric professionalcare 8000. so do as they do and all that...

toothbrushing has no bearing on wearing a brace.... the dentist is just saying your kids teeth will grow wonky unless you fit a brace for her formative years

toothbrushing is to stop gum disease and decay electric one will likely do best...

We got one recently - but not from the dentists 'half price' range. It's really great, feels so odd and a bit pointless brushing by hand now. Probably worth making sure she learns how to do it by hand properly though if she hasn't done so already.

Braces can get pretty manky - the fixed ones are really difficult to clean, so you can get a lot of damage. Probably worth the 50 quid or so to get a decent one. You can usually find good offers if you look around.

Guest joeschmo

go for the Braun Oral B professional somethingorother...fantastic clean

Guest Skinty

Last I heard an electric toothbrush doesn't clean any better than brushing your teeth properly by hand. But if you don't really put the care and attention into brushing then you will do better with an electric toothbrush.

Personally speaking, being a lazy so and so, my teeth feel cleaner after brushing with an electric and I also have a bad habit of applying too much pressure when doing it with a manual toothbrush and my teeth start to feel more sensitive

I haven't been to the dentist for the last 5 years. I really need to go but it's been difficult to afford a visit, sometimes impossible.

We got one recently - but not from the dentists 'half price' range. It's really great, feels so odd and a bit pointless brushing by hand now. Probably worth making sure she learns how to do it by hand properly though if she hasn't done so already.

Braces can get pretty manky - the fixed ones are really difficult to clean, so you can get a lot of damage. Probably worth the 50 quid or so to get a decent one. You can usually find good offers if you look around.

Try secondhand on Ebay.

Missus is dental Nurse, her theory:

You need a good quality electric toothbrush , 3d movement pref with a built in timer (8000 oral b and above), the sonicare are pants.

Electrics clean in the gaps better and helps you stop gum problems.

You need to clean them between 2 and 3 times a day (take a toothbrush to work)

You need to floss/use teepees at least once day to clean between the teeth

My theory:

I prefer manual because I think i clean better with a manual

I have to use an electric so I now use both :( quick brush with manual

Seriously the important bit is between the teeth and the gums which is where build up er builds up you need to get rid of that because that's what causes the problems. Most people brush there teeth and not the gumline, electrics are better because the make it easier to brush the gumline properly.

brush immediately after each meal and sugary snack,

do not brush immediately after drinking orange juice or similar,

a water jet is a valuable addition but they're not cheap (oral irrigator)

Urgh second hand toothbrush :blink:

You can buy new heads :rolleyes:

At £10 a pop for our Sonicare :angry:

OP, I was warned that by not cleaning around braces very thoroughly you risk nasty looking marks being left on the teeth when they are removed.

Guest X-QUORK

I've tried going electric, but I get that scratching your nails down a blackboard feeling.

They're wrong, all wrong.

Guest redwine
I improvise using an old Wisdom toothbrush gaffa-taped to my ex-wife's Rabbit.

A bit clumsy but the taste brings back memories.

Je n'ai rien compris :(

Urgh second hand toothbrush :blink:

Whats wrong with that? I also got secondhand Listerine off ebay and it seemed fine. Had a few 'bits' in it but otherwise no problem.

:lol:

I've tried going electric, but I get that scratching your nails down a blackboard feeling.

They're wrong, all wrong.

How odd. I get the same feeling with a non electric. My brother got one of the sonic ones and was unable to use it. He has sensitive teeth and said the pain it caused was unbearable.

I had braces when I was younger, but before I got them the dentist wanted to make sure he wasn't wasting his time and that I brushed my teeth properly. Get some of the tablets that makes plaque turn purple, use them for a few weeks before getting the braces and make sure he's brushing them correctly (little small circles). when he gets the braces he'll need a thin toothbrush for getting in behind the braces and getting bits of food out. Braces rip toothbrushes to shreds, so an electric may be expensive over the course.

my hygenist says get an ultrasonic one.

i have a standard one & i dont think they're any more effective than a 'manual' one.

You have a hygenist? :huh:

Can you find out if one should wipe back to front or front to back please? I've had this discussion a few times, usually after alcohol, and it gets a 50-50 response. They say for hygiene reasons it should be front to back but I find it much more comfortable and practical to do it back to front.

Can you find out if one should wipe back to front or front to back please? I've had this discussion a few times, usually after alcohol, and it gets a 50-50 response. They say for hygiene reasons it should be front to back but I find it much more comfortable and practical to do it back to front.

I think one may be confusing one's orifices. :unsure:

Guest X-QUORK

Wise crack?