House Price Crash Forum
TheWolf

West Hampstead

How does see people see West Hampstead as an area?

How was prices changed since the recession? --> Good time to buy now?

Anyone live near there at the moment? What are your experiences?

:D

How does see people see West Hampstead as an area?

How was prices changed since the recession? --> Good time to buy now?

Anyone live near there at the moment? What are your experiences?

:D

I think actual prices paid are down about 30%.

It is still an expensive area though.

Loads of unattractive 2beds on offer (conversions...)

The crisis has now hit WE with 4 shops closed on West End Lane and at least 2-3 looking like they will in next 3 months (mainly the ones competing against new Tesco).

Rents have been falling 20% but the new thing is that it takes 2-3 months to rent flats above £400pw while anything was shifting before.

The good time to buy is always dependent on your personal conditions but I think next year, it will be better as most people will have 6-12m of unemployment behind them and more desperate

Edited by polionamen

I think actual prices paid are down about 30%.

It is still an expensive area though.

Loads of unattractive 2beds on offer (conversions...)

The crisis has now hit WE with 4 shops closed on West End Lane and at least 2-3 looking like they will in next 3 months (mainly the ones competing against new Tesco).

Rents have been falling 20% but the new thing is that it takes 2-3 months to rent flats above �400pw while anything was shifting before.

The good time to buy is always dependent on your personal conditions but I think next year, it will be better as most people will have 6-12m of unemployment behind them and more desperate

Here we go, AP Food is closing due to Tesco competition.

It was faster than I thought

How does south hampstead/ swiss cottage compare to West Hampstead?

West Hampstead has more of a "village" feel - especially as you head up to the right (North) when coming of the Tube. The cluster of bars and restaurants near the top of West End Lane is especially nice. Swiss Cottage, although it has some magnificent houses, is just a busy part of Finchley Road. It's very noisy but you do have the massive Camden gym and you're right beside Waitrose, o2 centre and cinema etc. South Hampstead is nice - but mostly housing as distinct from the amenities of West Hampstead. As you head between South Hampstead and the Kilburn High Road, you cross over Abbey Road and head towards Brondesbury. That area's nice too - quite quirky, but still very near the facilities that make the area attractive.

West Hampstead has more of a "village" feel - especially as you head up to the right (North) when coming of the Tube. The cluster of bars and restaurants near the top of West End Lane is especially nice. Swiss Cottage, although it has some magnificent houses, is just a busy part of Finchley Road. It's very noisy but you do have the massive Camden gym and you're right beside Waitrose, o2 centre and cinema etc. South Hampstead is nice - but mostly housing as distinct from the amenities of West Hampstead. As you head between South Hampstead and the Kilburn High Road, you cross over Abbey Road and head towards Brondesbury. That area's nice too - quite quirky, but still very near the facilities that make the area attractive.

Thanks! You seem very knowledgable. Might ask you more questions after paying the area a visit later.

Agreed. Look also at Cricklewood (sometimes known as West Hampstead Borders)Brondesbury is a good alternative, Kilburn maybe? But West Hampstead is well known and sought after for that community feel. There are west Hampstead groups on Facebook for more information...everyone wants to tell you about it. Even a West Hampstead pub crawlers group.

Browse for West Hampstead property on Paramount Property database.

Amusing how you praise shitholes like Kilburn as "quirky".

Only WE is nice

I wouldn't call Kilburn a shithole. It's by no means the worst area in London. Parts off the high road (heading West) I wouldn't choose to live in, but by and large I think it's ok. If you want to compare it to Chelsea or Hampstead - agreed it won't fare so well. But I reckon it's not too bad... the bars like NLT and BrondesAge are very cool. Definitely prefer WH though.