House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ccc

Estate Agent Fees - Worth Every Penny

Came across this lovely schedule for a flat in Edinburgh.

Schedule

Of all the pics to choose for the front page. Are these guys really that bad ? A pic of a dog squeezing a turd onto their couch would have been more attractive.

I have heard one good story about a UK Estate Agent and their service. Everything else I have heard has been scathing - to say the least.

Is there any point in EA's ?

It's not so much 'picking that picture for the front of the schedule' .... it's the ONLY picture!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good advert for the scaffolding company though!

Edited by TTD

Schedule

Of all the pics to choose for the front page. Are these guys really that bad ? A pic of a dog squeezing a turd onto their couch would have been more attractive.

I have heard one good story about a UK Estate Agent and their service. Everything else I have heard has been scathing - to say the least.

YES !! even dog shite needs something to feel superior to

It's not so much 'picking that picture for the front of the schedule' .... it's the ONLY picture!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good advert for the scaffolding company though!

On the site they actually have a few pics. :blink:

ESPC pics

276710_0.jpg

Not the best - but an improvement on scaffolding !!

That is a disgrace. An abomination.

Its not bonny !!

I like the way the ar*se h*les also decide the profile of the prospective buyer.....'young couple' or 'single person'.....(just above student in the borgeois pecking order)......So they have alienated the class conscious tw@ts who make up a large proportion of British society.

There is no point in UK EAs.... they are uneducated, unprofessional, utrustworthy... what do they do? In some EU countries EAs must have a degree! + licence which means passing complicated exam from all the relevant property laws etc. Frankly why on earth do people trust them? Would you employ your hairdresser to be your divorce lawyer?

There is no point in UK EAs.... they are uneducated, unprofessional, utrustworthy... what do they do? In some EU countries EAs must have a degree! + licence which means passing complicated exam from all the relevant property laws etc. Frankly why on earth do people trust them? Would you employ your hairdresser to be your divorce lawyer?

You lost me with that last sentence which seemed to drop out of the sky. Not drunk again, I hope.

BTW whatever happened to good old doomandgloom1?

On the site they actually have a few pics. :blink:

ESPC pics

276710_0.jpg

Not the best - but an improvement on scaffolding !!

Does turning a corridor into a lounge make a house worth more?

tim

Its not bonny !!

True. ;)

Is it the fault of the photo taken by the EA or a basic flaw in the property for sale? I don't blame the EA for not being able to buff a bright shine onto a turd.

Sellers use EAs because they think they will sell for more money that way. Connells, who are second only to Foxtons in their vile ferrity ways, but quite effective, used to have a poster that read:

"Connell understand the four most important things when selling your house:

1. The highest price.

2. The highest price.

3. The highest price.

4. The highest price."

Now, whilst the seller cares only about price, once they have instructed the agent, they don't really have the stomach to kill and gut the poor little buyer themselves. Indeed, pretty much the only point of an EA is to act as a repository of greedy bile and suspicious fear for both the buyer and seller, each of whom are determined to shaft the other royally. (Although for some reason sellers are a bit worse). Without estate agents there would probably be a lot more abortive sales as one side flounced off, and possibly a few more frenzied stabbings.

I speak from experience.

Nail on the head there Timm. This site is full of stories of estate agents using sly, underhand tactics to sell houses. As a buyer this is very frustrating, but as a seller its great! I questioned their existence a few years ago, when buyers would buy anything and at full asking price, but in the current market a good agent is worth every penny in my view.

Edited by pablopatito

Schedule

Well I have had both very good experiences and very bad experiences with EA's so certainly I would say that at times I have valued them enormously... others I was glad to fire the firm in question.

Blair Caddell are a bag of w@nk, I don't think I've seen an attractive schedule of theirs. On this prop, I wonder which of the bedrooms used to be half the lounge?

Nail on the head there Timm. This site is full of stories of estate agents using sly, underhand tactics to sell houses. As a buyer this is very frustrating, but as a seller its great! I questioned their existence a few years ago, when buyers would buy anything and at full asking price, but in the current market a good agent is worth every penny in my view.

Obviously I'd agree with that.

But I would add that in this market, an average agent is pretty useless.

Possibly worse.